Anything without a home!

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 23,006.50
Wiki Edits: 18
Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou (it's comedy slanted)

That's sorta it. I almost universally hate slice of life (because if it focused on actually interesting parts of the relevant characters lives it'd be a drama or a mystery or a comedy or a romance or anything but a slice of life) so that's all I got. I wouldn't even call it slice of life, I'd call it a romantic comedy, but MAL seems to disagree with me.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Souls: 26,783.00
Wiki Edits: 41
@Reaperfan

I appreciate the list!
Last anime I watched was erased and I loved it.
manga wise was full metal panic, some of excel saga, and then love hina.
ohh. I forgot before erased i'd seen watamote.

Stuff i'm after is just kind of like school like stuff. where it follows people around and what goes on in their life. I can appreciate some other plot that goes on beyond/behind that though. Like durarara I enjoyed a lot. Just not really looking for anything too action packed atm. So I suppose drama would be alright as well.
A perfect evening involves pizza, some tea, some bros, and dark souls.

BWO_RazrSrorm

Moderator Trainee
Moderator Trainee

Souls: 26,783.00
Wiki Edits: 41
Forum_Pirate wrote:Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou (it's comedy slanted)

That's sorta it. I almost universally hate slice of life (because if it focused on actually interesting parts of the relevant characters lives it'd be a drama or a mystery or a comedy or a romance or anything but a slice of life) so that's all I got. I wouldn't even call it slice of life, I'd call it a romantic comedy, but MAL seems to disagree with me.

Maybe I use the term wrong then. To me slice of life sounds like relatable content where it's light hearted most of the time but it does have serious situations that happen. But it's believable. Not like...oh I dunno. really out there stuff. like soul eater i guess. I have nothing against other anime. I've just had my fill of action packed anime for the time being.
A perfect evening involves pizza, some tea, some bros, and dark souls.

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

I think in-excusably boring shows. Like, if it's something like, say, K-On (which is also really good btw) it's pretty comedy focused. Why would I describe it as slice of life when there's already a term for comedy focused shows. Nana is described as slice of life, but like, it's a textbook example of a drama (so much so that it has a live action drama adaptation.)

If slice of life is my default way of talkiing about a show, I what I'm saying is "nothing worthy of note actually happens that could give this show any other genre label"

Bokura wa minna kawaiso is what I'd call a romantic comedy. Because those are literally the 2 things it's about.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush

Reaperfan

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 5,264.00
Wiki Edits: 4
BWO_RazrSrorm wrote:Stuff i'm after is just kind of like school like stuff. where it follows people around and what goes on in their life. I can appreciate some other plot that goes on beyond/behind that though. Like durarara I enjoyed a lot. Just not really looking for anything too action packed atm. So I suppose drama would be alright as well.

So just a more grounded story really? Long as it's not all fantastical?

BWO_RazrSrorm wrote:Maybe I use the term wrong then. To me slice of life sounds like relatable content where it's light hearted most of the time but it does have serious situations that happen. But it's believable. Not like...oh I dunno. really out there stuff. like soul eater i guess. I have nothing against other anime. I've just had my fill of action packed anime for the time being.

It's a kind of a tricky "Venn Diagram" situation between Slice of Life, Drama, and Romance. You can have something like Nichijou, Azumanga Daioh, or Lucky Star that is purely Slice of Life and nothing else. You can have something like March Comes in Like a Lion that is pure Drama. Or you can have something like Ore Monogatari that's almost pure Romance and almost nothing else. Forum's suggestion I would say is a blend of all 3 actually, just barely leaning away from Slice of Life with a bit more emphasis on Romance and Drama.

Forum_Pirate wrote:Like, if it's something like, say, K-On (which is also really good btw) it's pretty comedy focused. Why would I describe it as slice of life when there's already a term for comedy focused shows.

Comedy's in there somewhere too but when it comes to anime I tend to think it's more a sliding scale that can be applied to any "genre" rather than a genre in and of itself.

As long as it's just being in a non-fantastical setting there's plenty of other shows I could add that may not necessarily be Slice of Life (as they don't just follow people through everyday life) but would be more Drama or Romance. Let me know if you'd want recommendations there too. :)
A system error occurred during event movement.
A system error occurred during event movement...

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 13,102.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 3
Hey guys, I've been looking for a good anime with a story and characterization focused on cloning/duplicates, like where humans interact with copies of themselves, or where there are synthetic humans that struggle to find an identity when they are artificially created, especially if they're a product line, like there literally thousands of the same person. Things like that.

Was also looking for anime with a lone wandering badass warrior who struggles to survive in a land of conflict, a lone wolf character in a sea of factions and wars that he/she really doesn't care about, but regardless keeps getting wrapped up in. Think Afro Samurai or Samurai Jack. I'd especially like something where there are multiple groups and individuals with their own agendas and ideologies, and they regularly interact with the lone badass, but he'she isn't really apart of them, and may team up with or battle them on the flip of a coin, like say, Trigun.
There once was a hunter from Nantuckit
Who was going to die anyway, so he said, "fu*k it!"
"I’ll hunt the beasts of Yarnam.
To get blood vials, I’ll farm them,
and kill them all before I kick the bucket."

Reaperfan

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

EldritchImagination wrote:Hey guys, I've been looking for a good anime with a story and characterization focused on cloning/duplicates, like where humans interact with copies of themselves, or where there are synthetic humans that struggle to find an identity when they are artificially created, especially if they're a product line, like there literally thousands of the same person. Things like that.

Was also looking for anime with a lone wandering badass warrior who struggles to survive in a land of conflict, a lone wolf character in a sea of factions and wars that he/she really doesn't care about, but regardless keeps getting wrapped up in. Think Afro Samurai or Samurai Jack. I'd especially like something where there are multiple groups and individuals with their own agendas and ideologies, and they regularly interact with the lone badass, but he'she isn't really apart of them, and may team up with or battle them on the flip of a coin, like say, Trigun.

That first one is...oddly specific of a premise I must say :lol!:

Off the top of my head, besides maybe something like Ghost in the Shell dealing with using robotics and cyberization to explore themes of identity (even though it's not clones or the like) the only shows I can think that really come close to something that specific are actually romantic dramas and harems. Based on the tone I got out of reading your post I don't feel that's really the type of show you're looking for though.

As for the second premise, Naoki Urasawa's Monster comes to mind, though it might not be as action-heavy as what it seems like you're looking for. However, as a psychological thriller and noir mystery show it's tough to beat, at least without going outside of anime. If you want a more action-heavy show, there's Black Lagoon, which is a little less initially about a "lone badass" as much as it is a guy getting unwittingly swept up in all kinds of criminal factions duking it out with each other while he grows into the "badass" role by incorporating himself into the dealings of an actual modern-era pirate band.

EDIT: If you don't mind the show being more crudely comedic in tone, there's also Desert Punk for the "lone badass" premise. Post-apocalyptic show about a world that's been turned into a massive desert following a world-wide nuclear holocaust where the main character makes their living doing mercenary work. Plenty of action and faction-war stuff, but it does lean heavily into being a comedy show as well that can take its crudeness to almost (deliberately) uncomfortable levels.

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 13,102.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 3
EldritchImagination wrote:Hey guys, I've been looking for a good anime with a story and characterization focused on cloning/duplicates, like where humans interact with copies of themselves, or where there are synthetic humans that struggle to find an identity when they are artificially created, especially if they're a product line, like there literally thousands of the same person. Things like that.

Reaperfan wrote:That first one is...oddly specific of a premise I must say :lol!:

I watched I-Robot again recently, and it's themes made me really want to watch more of something like it.

Reaperfan wrote:As for the second premise, Naoki Urasawa's Monster comes to mind, though it might not be as action-heavy as what it seems like you're looking for. However, as a psychological thriller and noir mystery show it's tough to beat, at least without going outside of anime. If you want a more action-heavy show, there's Black Lagoon, which is a little less initially about a "lone badass" as much as it is a guy getting unwittingly swept up in all kinds of criminal factions duking it out with each other while he grows into the "badass" role by incorporating himself into the dealings of an actual modern-era pirate band.

Unfortunately, I've already seen Black Lagoon. I'll check out the first one though. I mostly just want a lone badass taking on multiple other groups. Doesn't necessarily have to be action heavy.

Reaperfan wrote:EDIT: If you don't mind the show being more crudely comedic in tone, there's also Desert Punk for the "lone badass" premise. Post-apocalyptic show about a world that's been turned into a massive desert following a world-wide nuclear holocaust where the main character makes their living doing mercenary work. Plenty of action and faction-war stuff, but it does lean heavily into being a comedy show as well that can take its crudeness to almost (deliberately) uncomfortable levels.
[/quote]

Again, I've seen it, but thanks anyways. Sometimes I wish the ideas for shows that I think up became actual shows.
There once was a hunter from Nantuckit
Who was going to die anyway, so he said, "fu*k it!"
"I’ll hunt the beasts of Yarnam.
To get blood vials, I’ll farm them,
and kill them all before I kick the bucket."

Reaperfan

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

EldritchImagination wrote:Sometimes I wish the ideas for shows that I think up became actual shows.

No kidding, right?

On another note there has been a trend in the Isekai genre of having an incredibly powerful protagonist thrown into a world they don't understand. So if you don't mind fantasy elements and a little less focus on outright "faction wars" I thought those kinds of shows might qualify as well. Stuff like No Game No Life and Overlord come to mind as the more outstanding/unique and less "cookie cutter" examples, with the former being a gambling-focused show and the latter being one of the actually good "stuck in a video game" stories.

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

I have discovered Precure. I like Precure.
- George W. Bush