Discuss the latest Dark Souls Title!

Nunkuruji

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 7,196.50
If you really pay attention to the weapons / armors / shields that are made available as you progress through the game, you will discover that From basically drops exactly what you need to succeed right in front of you, if you're willing to explore. This has been true throughout all the souls games.

In DkS3,
The Deep Battle Axe is available in High Wall prior to encountering Vordt, a boss who is weak to Dark.
The Dragon Crest shield is found near the Old Wolf, prior to encountering the Abyss Watchers, the first of many bosses who feature Fire damage.
(Though the Sacred Bloom / Golden Wing comes in post-Aldritch...)

To your point on survival, I have found that the best way to gear for my most difficult runs (base level +5 dark sigil), is to buffer survival for the worst case situation - that is min/max the most effective hit points. The Blue Tearstone ring is key to this, and is once again an early item found in High Wall. Some of the better absorption pieces are found fairly early, depending on weapon choice/weight, Northern Trousers, Elite/Nameless Knight, Cathedral Knight.

For a blind playthrough, careful observation and a proper ranged weapon are invaluable, a lesson learned well in DeS. I suppose this is what made BB personally feel a bit more brutal than the whole of the DkS series.
I can see it in your eyes. If you didn't invade, didn't pillage, whatever would you do?
Phantom Build Guide Doc (non meta SL) (Thread)

Psiberzerker

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,851.00
Funny you mentioned the Grass Crest Shield, the Abyss Watchers, and a "Proper Ranged Weapon" in the same post. The easiest way I found to cheese the AWs (First run, before I learned their Timing) was the Grass Crest Shield, and Arbalest. Just Keep your Distance, time your rolls, and take pot-shots of opportunity. It takes a long time (And it's a lot of fun) but once you learn to let the spawns distract eachother, you're in little real danger. The trick is that Crossbows (The Arbalest being the most powerful) anchor you for Very little time. So, you can keep moving, and time your rolls. Also, since it basically just takes 12 Strength (2handed) you can use the 2 Pale Tongues at the Cathedral to pump yourself full of Health/Stamina, then respec after the fight to continue on to Carthus. (Oh yeah, you really want to be below 30% weight for this strategy, so Naked is actually better if you can avoid getting hit. I went with the Ragged Mask, Master's Set, and Loincloth for bare minimum Absorbtion)

In case that particular fight is giving anyone trouble.

Oh yeah, there's a biff to your Absorption if you don't wear 4 pieces of Armor. I know the no-helmet look is cool and all, but it makes about as much sense in game as it does in the real world. So, even rags are better than nothing. Clerics should buy the Chainmail Hood, and Theives the Gloves immediately when they get to Firelink, just to round out their sets.
Skilled>Build

Nunkuruji

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 7,196.50
I thought it was fairly well known since forever that the defense formulas dictated one should fill out their 4 armor slots with at least something. For the fashion & face conscious, those that I encountered out in the wild tended to at least wear crown-like equipment. As for me, Warlock Mask 4life, Gold Ardeo (Sunset) close second.
I can see it in your eyes. If you didn't invade, didn't pillage, whatever would you do?
Phantom Build Guide Doc (non meta SL) (Thread)

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 22,001.50
Wiki Edits: 19
Nunkuruji wrote:I thought it was fairly well known since forever that the defense formulas dictated one should fill out their 4 armor slots with at least something. For the fashion & face conscious, those that I encountered out in the wild tended to at least wear crown-like equipment. As for me, Warlock Mask 4life, Gold Ardeo (Sunset) close second.

golden crown, herald helmet are also decent solutions as well for the "face conscious" (lol, love how you put it ^^) who still want some poise
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you once, but then I got a [dark souls] in the knee.
so...
A hoonter must hoont!

Psiberzerker

Addicted
First Warden

Nunkuruji wrote:I thought it was fairly well known since forever that the defense formulas dictated one should fill out their 4 armor slots with at least something.

"Fairly" well known, being the operative word. Ignoring the obvious trolls running around with nothing but a pair of pants and sphaghetti strap across their chest, I still run into the Helmless on a surprisingly regular basis. I like the Herald helm. I always have, and the fact is it has one of the best Poise/Weight ratios in the game. Easilly the best of the readily available sets. I'm sure you've picked it up across the bridge from the Cathedral of the Deep bonfire, but just go ahead and flip through your Equipment menue, put on the whole set, and take a look at how many pieces are both heavier, And lower poise than those 4 pieces. I care a lot less about the rather limited set of Hairstyles on offer, but I spend a quite honestly wasteful amount of time getting my faces just right, and I'll be damned if I'm going to cover that up if I don't have to.

Fortunately, the speed run to the Crystal Sage from start only takes me about 20 minutes, even with stops along the way to collect the titanite Shards to do so with a +3 weapon, and I can buy the Chainmail Hood to wear until then, but unless I'm building a Tankety Tank-Tank*, I almost can't bear to wear anything more concealing than the Evangelist Mask, it just feels weird.

(*The current incarnation has the Executioner Helm, Gundy'rs Armor, Knight's Gloves, and Exile Leggings to just make the break-point for the Warpick, and still main the Greatmace. Plant that sucker, and IDFK what you swing at me, I won't budge. Vordt's Charge went right through me! I didn't even twitch.)
Skilled>Build

Jet1337

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,023.00
Wiki Edits: 11
Psiberzerker wrote:Then learn the Spacing, and Timing on all the weapons. That's why Miyazaki said #WorkingAsIntended instead of just publishing the Hyperarmor frames, and Poise breakpoint, so you can LEARN to play the game, instead of hold your hand, and make it Eazy for you, like Bethesda/[z]enimax.

All of the instagib attacks are slow enough to roll dodge. That's what we have roll dodge for. Also, what do you need 99Vitaliy for (Have you tried Vigor? I hear that's great too) so you have to splash in Silver Knight Armor if you believe that Poise works that way? You trying to 1H Ledo's Greathammer with Havel's Shield so you can Stone Flesh? That's a lot of Vitality, but my point is 1 maxing stat is not going to win the fight for you, and no attack you can spam is so OPtimal that you don't have to learn spacing and timeing, or how to roll dodge.

Skilled>Build. That's the game we're playing here, working as intended. There's no FTW or Honor here, you're thinking about some other game. You will die, the game is designed to kill you long before you get to PvP, and if you play it long enough, you eventually get used to it. You rise from a Grave, with a Burial Gift, surrounded by the Undead! It's not like From tried to hide this secret from you, it's designed to kill you over and over again until you learn how to play it.

Dude, are you oblivious to what's in my sig?

Anyway, I'm talking about that crazy **** he does in his third phase. You know, the **** when he jumps in the air and ****ing flies like superman? I don't fight Gael 24/7, so I not familiar with dodging his 3rd-phase attacks. His attacks are really annoying in that phase and that's why when he goes into that phase, I poison him with storyteller's staff and run around until he drops dead.
Dark Souls 3 -- The Doomslayer: Level 802 ☠ NG+72
https://puu.sh/xueua/ca339065a2.jpg

bukharajones

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,259.00
Wiki Edits: 9
So yeah. In conclusion, Vitality and armor aren’t pointless. They will not win the fight for you. Today I ended up being summoned by a dude at 130 in the ringed city and he broken fingered and went down the steps with a full party and we killed everything in the level, right up to the doors of the church. I was the only phantom, in black iron, carrying the oak and thre bks, that survived the multiple invasions and general horror. And he got more than a few replacements.

Only to go to Midir after a full clearing of the level and watch the guy get fried.

The only real difference for me and the rest of the phantoms is I had big **** armor and upgraded regeneration in blessed and simple caestus and the sun princess and the tears of denial too.

Also a millwood bow to snipe and a plethora of heavy weapons to smear with dark or fire or lightning as necessary. Usually a Lkss or a harald curved.

Kind of boring but absolute mayhem at its best.

Skill and survivability and system knowledge will carry you a long long way.

Psiberzerker

Addicted
First Warden

Jet1337 wrote:Anyway, I'm talking about that crazy **** he does in his third phase. You know, the **** when he jumps in the air and ****ing flies like superman? I don't fight Gael 24/7, so I not familiar with dodging his 3rd-phase attacks. His attacks are really annoying in that phase and that's why when he goes into that phase, I poison him with storyteller's staff and run around until he drops dead.

Wait, you mean the Gael Bossfight? Okay, I thought you ment the Gael's UGS in PvP. No, I didn't go through your sig, and yes, lots and lots of bosses can 1 shot you. Did you read mine? Yeah, dodge the attacks that instagib you, and you will die over and over again. Everyone does, Dark Souls is written that way, to kill you. Nobody wins every time, and if we did, it would be kinda boring. I'm not terribly shocked, and dismayed that GAEL, the last boss in the DLC can 1-shot Havel. (And you weren't even wearing full Havel's.)

Again, YTF do you need 99 Vitality, if not to wear full Havel's? If you don't want to Dodge, Stoneflesh, and Perseverance Stack, Havel's Set has Both of them, and it still might not make you invulnerable to the toughest boss in the game. Sorry?
Skilled>Build

Agurzil

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 75.00
Bank: 14,615.00
Wiki Edits: 710
Psiberzerker wrote:Again, YTF do you need 99 Vitality, if not to wear full Havel's? If you don't want to Dodge, Stoneflesh, and Perseverance Stack, Havel's Set has Both of them, and it still might not make you invulnerable to the toughest boss in the game. Sorry?

The problem with Havel's set + GS and DT vs Gael is, that your attacks are too slow to safely connect after a shield block. Havel Build's playstyle revolves around blocking attacks and punishing enemies for it, tanking hits with poise and healing intelligently. Gael's 3rd phase just **** all over that concept. You can (I tried) to fatroll through everything, but that's not what Havel's is for. If you block and attack, you will eat enough hits that it will eventually kill you. Using stoneflesh and perseverance works to a degree, but isn't enough to win the fight. In essence, you cannot tank or block your way to the win vs Gael. Granted I tried this on NG+3 or +4 with a 125 Havel Build, it might be a different story for NG. I had lots of fun against NG Ludex Gundyr with that havel build, I could actually use stoneflesh and perseverance to power through and destroy HIS poise to riposte... That was fun hehe. And Midir becomes a war of attrition, but it's just too amazing to take the set of the guy who hated dragons and killed them for fun to take down midir :)
Man takes up the sword to protect the small injuries that burdened his heart, on a distant day beyond his memories.
Man wields the sword to die with a smile on his face, on a distant day beyond his dreams.

Psiberzerker

Addicted
First Warden

Agurzil wrote:It's just too amazing to take the set of the guy who hated dragons and killed them for fun to take down midir :)

Yeah, I love the ironies like this. Why I routinely tool up with a Combo Build, and equip both of the Pontiff's Eye Rings to beat the Pontiff. (Usually the Briggand Twindaggers for Quickstep to chase him around, he's a very Mobile boss.)

I must say that I've never fought Gael. I've fought Gael's UGS in PvP, but I can't afford the DLC. (I'm homeless.) That said, he hits like a truck. So, it looks like a Tank is probably the wrong way to approach that particular boss (Especially in Partial Havel's. If you're going to try Tanking, and you have 99 Vitality, I still don't understand splashing in the Silver Knight gear here. If that's your strategy, then stick to it.)

I did a No Rolls run once. It sucked. Stoneflesh makes you Fatroll, however you can compensate for that with Quickstep. It's not as good a Dodge as rolling, but since that boss is giving you trouble, it might be worth a try. Even Tanks have to dodge in this game, especially against one of the hardest hitters in the game.
Skilled>Build