Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 300,873.49
Bank: 8,033.71
Wiki Edits: 23142
The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

Is a Demon's Souls Remaster or Sequel coming? We look into the development of the title and the reasons that brought Dark Souls about instead of a sequel, before connecting some interesting dots!

Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Bonaduce80

Regular
Battle Tested

Souls: 582.50
Everyone rushing for that Pure Bladestone sharing for the Platinum before servers switch off!

Interesting article and timeline. I wondered how it is with things like film contracts they are pretty much out there for the public to know (Marvel and Sony/Fox until recently and the conditions for the characters to revert to their owners, for instance), yet in videogames they remain so secretive.

I can relate to Yoshida considering my first toon in DeS was a barbarian who ran out of grass in 1-1 and found the dredgelings utterly unpredictable (plus 50% health penalty!) As much as we love the franchise these days, I have always thought it is the hardest for a neophyte to get into: weight and equip load, icons for stats completely abstract, split of magic damage and spells split in two stats yet miracle power and spells together in Faith stat, character/ world tendency, Yurt offing characters if you just do the typical RPG thing and release him... Other games are definitely harder, but Demon's Souls is the one out there to make your life harder (oh 1 kills by mobs if you are not careful... in PWWT!)

Please bring it back 😋
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Haha that is indeed how we all felt!

I remember going "WTF why is my gold and xp the same thing" "wtf is this red guy" "omg why can these random arrows kill me"

I got stuck at the dogs before the Tower Knight and was dreading going forward, and I actually ephemeral stoned out of the boss because my damage was so pathetic I thought I needed to go farm.

But the experience of discovery and learning truly did bring about a fantastic sense of accomplishment when an obstacle was cleared, and it's that feeling that we are all chasing with each souls game we play. The discovery and progression is what keeps me here.
Fextralife.com ⚔️ Monster Hunter World Wiki
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Bonaduce80

Regular
Battle Tested

Souls: 582.50
Also, although I wasn't there at that time, can imagine the gathering of players sharng information about such an obtuse game and world... Must have been magical.

Another thing I forgot to mention I love of the game: utter lack of pizzazz. So many JRPGs feel a need of colour and overdesigned aesthetics. Demon's was sober, somber and definitely carries that dark unexplicit visual design one imagines Miyazaki had in his mind reading those old Fighting Fantasy gamebooks ages ago. Even Dark Souls doesn't manage that (has a great aesthetic and atmosphere, but not in the same direction).
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Indeed, I distinctly recall going "I need to look this up" and landing on NOTHING. There was no information, no guides. Just obscure and user-unfriendly BBS boards that sucked so bad! So we all put our heads together and build the livedoor wiki from the ground up. It was amazing, the answers for things started appearing out of nowhere, and it took us well over a month working together to get basic info such as all weapons, armors, rings.

I think players got a bit of this feeling with Bloodborne, that wasn't demonstrated too much before launch so players got to discover secrets like the engagement ring.
Fextralife.com ⚔️ Monster Hunter World Wiki
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.

ckmishn

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,195.00
Wiki Edits: 6
Thank you very much for the Playstation Now explanation. I had no idea Demon's Souls was available for Japanese players, and of the few hundred games still not part of PS Now (in the US and Europe anyway) it was the one whose absence made the least sense.

I'm inclined to believe some form of remaster is inevitable. Atlus, Sony and Bandai Namco may be competitors as publishers, but they also regularly work together and none of them are likely to leave money on the table. No doubt Atlus and Bandai Namco will fight for the best deal they can get, but with the recognition that any deal will be better than no deal.

Edit: I am curious, if you know Fex, how well does Demon's Souls play on Japanese PS Now? Does it handle multiplayer ok as part of Sony's network?