Discuss the latest Dark Souls Title!

MaskedTheMan

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 900.00
Wiki Edits: 2
TSMP wrote:
MaskedTheMan wrote:Thanks, I'll check out the Crystal Chime for sure, I had never really considered it as an option. I just want to have all of the dark spells in the game, but I'm not going to have them all on at the same time. I'll restrict myself to two types at a time that way my rings aren't AIDS. I'm just trying to have fun, and I've never done a dark magic build on DS3 before. I kind of wish that DS3 had treated them like they did in DS2 with hexes being a separate spell type, it would have made this a lot simpler; especially if From had made a catalyst type that is ONLY for hexing, as opposed to the whole staff/chime thing they did in DS2.

Well, actually... hexes in DS2 were their own category, but functionally they were little different from sorceries or miracles:

• DS2 had some dark spells that could only be cast with staves, some that could only be cast with chimes, but only a select few staves or chimes were suited for casting them.
  • DS3 has some dark spells that can only be cast with staves, some that can only be cast with chimes/talismans, but only a select few staves or chimes/talismans are suited for casting them.

The only differences between DS2 and DS3 are the Black Witch's Staff and Abyss Seal, those being a catalyst that can cast dark sorceries+miracles, and a ring that boosts the damage of all dark spells instead of only half at a time. And I'll totally agree that DS3 should've had those or something like them, because without them dark mages just feel way too limited and a whole lot less fun. As it is, I'm having to unironically recommend using two different catalysts at once to you, just so you can have the kind of spell access a single-stat caster enjoys, when the entire point of making a hybrid build is versatility and variety. Sheesh.

Have you not made a pyromancer at all, or did you just never make a dark caster specifically? Because if you haven't done pyromancy yet, you're in for a treat. If you have, then you could actually use that instead by just changing some equipment around, and the only difference would be slightly less damage.

I've done a pyromancer before, but I typically delete my characters when I get bored of them. Pyromancy was super fun. I'm using the pyromancer starting class as the build for my 'hexer' as it'll be the most straightforward way to attain the same stats I'll need for the dark build anyway. I must admit that even if I did still have a pyromancer, that I'd probably still play through the game again as I enjoy the PvE just as much as the PvP aspect.

MaskedTheMan

Addicted
First Warden

The only reason that I haven't done a dark caster up to this point was because of the inaccessability due to the best spells being strewn across the three spell types. I have of course had dark magic for all three spell types on each of the other caster builds just in order to deal damage to enemies that have a resistance to either sorcery, lightning or fire, but my body is finally ready to make the dark build (especially considering the mask will make it a lot easier to deal heavy damage).

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 45,569.50
Wiki Edits: 565
MaskedTheMan wrote:I've done a pyromancer before, but I typically delete my characters when I get bored of them. Pyromancy was super fun. I'm using the pyromancer starting class as the build for my 'hexer' as it'll be the most straightforward way to attain the same stats I'll need for the dark build anyway. I must admit that even if I did still have a pyromancer, that I'd probably still play through the game again as I enjoy the PvE just as much as the PvP aspect.

Fair enough. If you're looking for something a little new from the PvE, I have a particular playthrough setup I sometimes recommend for new dark mage characters, if only to get the full experience. Something kinda antipalidan-ish: Give the Deep and Londor tomes to Irina ASAP, kill Sirris first chance you get for her Darkmoon Talisman, use either Gnaw or Dorhy's Gnawing to kill the Dancer early, then pick up the Sunlight Straight Sword and Lothric tome from Dragon Barracks. Now you have a dark-scaling talisman, Faith-scaling sword, a Faith-scaling buff to put on the Faith-scaling sword, and every purchasable miracle in the game right off the bat (make sure you leave one dark miracle unbought until last, otherwise the other miracles get locked out). Taking the bad ending for every NPC or just killing ones you don't need is strongly encouraged, of course, as is joining Rosaria's Fingers or Aldrich Faithful (you'll want the Faithful anyways for the dark sorcery).

MaskedTheMan wrote:The only reason that I haven't done a dark caster up to this point was because of the inaccessability due to the best spells being strewn across the three spell types. I have of course had dark magic for all three spell types on each of the other caster builds just in order to deal damage to enemies that have a resistance to either sorcery, lightning or fire, but my body is finally ready to make the dark build (especially considering the mask will make it a lot easier to deal heavy damage).

If it's damage you're worried about, I'll go ahead and say outright that Gnaw/Gnawing and Great Soul Dregs are the only realistic source of it, both in PvE and PvP. The stage 1 Deep Soul isn't even worth the boss soul, Affinity and Lifehunt Scythe are medium strength at best, and you'll never hit anything with Dead Again on purpose.

That said, the setup I outlined above does pick up Gnaw right away, not to mention the early spell access is kinda nuts.

MaskedTheMan

Addicted
First Warden

First priority is fun, second is the knowledge that I'm making my opponent's angry, third is damage. Speaking of Dead Again, I did a build on DS2 where I only trolled people who invaded me with this wonderful spell. I pushed a bunch of bodies into a doorway, dropped a bunch of shinies everywhere around it, and would cast Dead Again from around the corner when they showed up. It only worked about 10% of the time, but it was totally worth it haha

DANIELINXD

Souls: 79.00
I've just started a pyro build, and I'm having some problems with the catalysts I take into the game, because I use a talisman just for the use of Tears of denial, and I don't know if it's worth keeping it on an active slot