I didn't know they could actually cast spells on the dog. Well, for heals anyway- they don't actually cast heal on the dog do they? They just try to cast spells on it and don't notice your party members further away (who actually need it..)
Because if that's the case, barriers/heals wouldn't actually be getting 'wasted'; and it's pretty uncommon for the dog to get in-between party members when they sit tight grouped together..

Anyway, I don't think the finicky details behind winter's grasps etc will be that important in the grand scheme of things. Half its purpose (and that of petrify) is for crowd-control - brittles are an extra bonus- even without a CCC handy, hawke and varric gain an extra +50% critical damage.
When I ran through act 3 with my post-patch mage party I had completely unoptimised tactics and it didn't make too much of a difference (besides when they dropped their firestorms on me haha).

And yep, forgot about that- haven't done mota with my mage yet. I wonder what the armour set is like..
But yeah, that will be probably pretty useful - can't be bothered calculating which is superior though.
Anyway, adding it. :)

Edited by mr_afk, 31 October 2011 - 03:31 PM.

Im not 100% sure, but IIRC, they do actually manage to cast spells on the Dog (with no effect of course, other than wasting spells and mana). I would have to test it to be sure, but I think I remember this being reported some while ago. It is sort of like how Aveline can cast Bodyguard on herself, or how Merrill can cast Wounds of the Past with BM deactivated, if done via tactics.

Then new armor set could be useful for a Blood Mage I suppose (massive HP boost) and the set bonus is ok (+10% for each element). But overall, it's pretty underwhelming compared to some of the dlc stuff. And it's another set of chantry robes. *sigh*

Edited by Relix28, 01 November 2011 - 12:01 AM.

gah, i would have thought an entire vanilla game would be enough..well, i suppose it's to be expected, orlesians and their chantry.
hm if the +hp boost is enough, some of it might fit into the post-patch 'invincible mage' idea I was considering. But i'll look into it later/incincible mages are pretty boring

And yeah, i can't remember exactly so you're probably right.

Edited by mr_afk, 01 November 2011 - 04:13 AM.

On those days when I can still muster some interest in playing DA2, I've been working my way through the end game with an old mage saved game. In the spirit of mixing things up a bit and trying something a little different from my normal mage, I tried this build out. I like it. My damage numbers are higher than they've ever been, and the fragility of the characters keeps me on my toes. I took down Hybris last night, though I did end up swapping in Aveline for Merril.

Now have only three things left in the game to do: Legacy, MOTA, and The Final Straw. It should be interesting to see how things go in the DLC. The Malvernis fight in particular might be challenging for a party with very low hp, unless we can wipe out all the archers at the beginning before they turn us all into pin cushions.
Glad it's working out for you :)

And yeah.. Malvernis was quite a pain. I think I've lost my mage vid of it and don't really have the time to record another atm, but here's the most essence to the most consistent method I came up with:

- Leave the companions all on one side (set to drop aoes and use dual haste autoattacks to wipe out anything on their side)
- At the same time, immediately run hawke to the other side and drop a firestorm on the archers (while they're still spawning) and leave the dog to soak up their arrows while returning to help the companions finish off their side
(That part is the most risky;  Occassionally they'll arrow down hawke or one of the companions will be stupid and run over to hawke instead of doing their job (due to the maximum distance they can be apart or something))
- Once that side is done, hasted autoattacks are usually sufficient to pick off the archers still distracted by the dog
- The rest is pretty straight forward. The only thing is to make sure the party has fire-resistance or maybe use an alternate build with a tanky aveline otherwise the firestorms towards the end will wipe everyone

It's sorta fun, especially with no-pause. But nothing beats DW for fighting dragons (using backstabs/vendettas to dodge their attacks/flames while dealing crazy damage)..haha good times.

Anyway, i'll be interested to hear how it goes when you get around to doing it  (It's one of the few fights almost impossible to crowd control everything)

Edited by mr_afk, 01 November 2011 - 04:48 PM.

Just came in to say this is the most fun I've had playing a mage. I can't survive nightmare without following the guides here, so kudos to everyone who makes them, but this has to be my favorite one.High damage, fragile and with enough flexibility in the build to let me play the way I want to. Thanks for taking the time to make this.
You are very welcome. :)

It's always nice to hear that they are actually useful

Mike3207

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 153.00
Bank: 214.00
Thanks-much appreciated.
Shapeshifter Extraordinaire