Discuss lore and secrets of Dark Souls 3

Lord_Dankness54

Souls: 75.00
Bank: 0.00
I am very interested in the lore of Dark souls three as i have been playing through, but I never really understood what the deal was with the curse-rotted great wood. I am just wondering what backstory this tree has or how he might tie into any lore?

BobTheHollow

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,767.50
Wiki Edits: 1
Hmm-k... there have been trees being featured, and trees being mentioned, and... the pagan tree... The Curst-Rotted Greatwood in itself doesn't seem to have too much going on when it comes to lore, instead, adding to the lore of others. It's a world building tool for the Undead Settlement, showcasing how they dealt with the things they deemed cursed, that people could be dealt with in the same manner, how important this practice would've been to its inhabitants, and the toll of such practice. And it builds upon the lore of the items that can be found within, I.E., Transposing Kiln, Hollowslayer Greatsword, and Astor's Spear, by granting them the status of "cursed things." It COULD also have implications regarding the Mound Makers.

There might be more to it, but nothing that I can recall right now. Hope it helps.
youTube.com/BobTheHollow - DkS Lore, PvP and Music Videos
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Souls: 44,334.50
Wiki Edits: 564
The Curse-Rotted Greatwood doesn't have any lore for itself, since it doesn't seem to be a specific character. It's like how the Tauros Demon in the first game didn't have lore because it was just a regular old demon that had wandered away from Izalith. This would normally imply there's nothing special about the Greatwood, even though we never see anything like it again.

So instead of lore referring to the Greatwood, we get a whole bunch of lore referring to things that it's related to: the curse, trees, hollows, and the frightful things they turn into.

"The Curse" is mentioned frequently in Dark Souls 3, and 99% of the time it refers to the state of being Undead. Hollows have been shown to turn into trees in areas like the High Wall of Lothric, and turning into tree-like entities in the later Lothric areas (Pilgrim Butterflies) and The Ringed City (close inspection of angels reveals branches and roots poking out of them), and The Ringed City has gross nymph things growing out of the backs of dead Londor Pilgrims which bear some connection to angels and also happen to have the same color and skin texture as the arm coming out of the Greatwood. Also, the statues outside the Greatwood's boss room are of Londor Pilgrims with stuff growing out of their backs.

So... that seems to be it. The Curse-Rotted Greatwood is an example of what might happen when a hollow becomes a tree.

BobTheHollow

Addicted
First Warden

TSMP wrote:The Curse-Rotted Greatwood is an example of what might happen when a hollow becomes a tree.

I don't think the Rotted Greatwood is a hollow that became a tree. I think it's a tree that became... rotted by curses? There were walking, fighting tree things in Darkroot Garden. Moaning trees in Shaded Woods. The Pagan Tree. Witchtrees. The tale of the spirit tree that turned itself into a shield to protect a boy... There's no shortage of sentient or sentient-like trees, and there's also the tree next to the first Evangelist we meet, where they're burning folks and there are dangling folks and cages... that looks like what they may have done to the Greatwood till it became the Curse-Rotted Greatwood.
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

BobTheHollow wrote:
TSMP wrote:The Curse-Rotted Greatwood is an example of what might happen when a hollow becomes a tree.

I don't think the Rotted Greatwood is a hollow that became a tree. I think it's a tree that became... rotted by curses? There were walking, fighting tree things in Darkroot Garden. Moaning trees in Shaded Woods. The Pagan Tree. Witchtrees. The tale of the spirit tree that turned itself into a shield to protect a boy... There's no shortage of sentient or sentient-like trees, and there's also the tree next to the first Evangelist we meet, where they're burning folks and there are dangling folks and cages... that looks like what they may have done to the Greatwood till it became the Curse-Rotted Greatwood.

All of those examples could just as easily have been undead before becoming trees. So, in the absence of anything else, it could go either way.

The only difference here is that, in Dark Souls 3, we see undead in the process of turning into trees (High Wall of Lothric). The majority of examples you gave could just as easily have been undead that became trees, but without an example of an ordinary tree becoming undead-like, it'd be more logical to assume they were undead first.

The burning tree you mentioned last is close enough to count, I'd think. If the Curse-Rotted Greatwood started out as a normal tree that didn't have legs or anything, then that could very easily have been the process that lead to it becoming... whatever the crap it is now. This is, of course, assuming that any given transformation is permanent and can't be changed back later.

(like, if undead can become trees, and trees can become undead, then there's no reason to assume an undead can't become a tree, then later become an undead again. if anything, the real question would be "which came first", and what the triggers are for each transformation.)

Rakuyo

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 48,958.50
Wiki Edits: 9258
I think there is a lore backstory, be it a very cryptic one.

Key terms are "Izalith" - "Pyromancy - "Archtrees" - "Bed of Chaos" - "Great Hollow" - "Mound Makers" and "Pale Demon (Hand Child)"

I discuss these themes on my Cainhurst Lore Page
Those who seek dark, will always find it.

BobTheHollow

Addicted
First Warden

TSMP wrote:in Dark Souls 3, we see undead in the process of turning into trees (High Wall of Lothric)

I've always thought of them as undead who had stayed on the same spot praying for waaay too long, and they wouldn't move, not even if stuff started growing around them, so the trees kept going up with them tangled along. I'll take a closer look, but last I checked, that was the impression that I got.
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

BobTheHollow wrote:I've always thought of them as undead who had stayed on the same spot praying for waaay too long, and they wouldn't move, not even if stuff started growing around them, so the trees kept going up with them tangled along. I'll take a closer look, but last I checked, that was the impression that I got.

Might as well read the Cleric set description as well, then look at the shell of a Londor Pilgrim, then take a peek at Gundyr's hand, then (if you can) use the binoculars to zoom in on an angel. Lots of hollows getting gnarly in DaS3.

BobTheHollow

Addicted
First Warden

The parasitic growth shared by Londor Pilgrims, Sulyvahn, and McDonnell is never shown to lead into a tree-like state. It does lead into Pilgrim Butterflies, the Ringed City angels, and the... things... that sprout out of the Pilgrims' carcasses. The angels and the... thing... are bug-like, if you look close enough. The corpse sprouting thing reminds me of a roach and is easier to check out. The angel has bug wings and sets of bug legs, I've used CE to check it out. Never seen Gundyr's hand though. I'll check it out too. Thanks.
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Bugs have roots? Since when? :-/

It doesn't just have to be one thing. In Bloodborne, Ebrietas and the Milkweed rune were both references to a particular species of butterfly by name (with a milkweed being a type of plant that an ebrietas [genus name] caterpillar feeds on), but morphologically they were nudibranches.

The angels, unless my eyes deceive me, have clear root/tree aspects in addition to a butterfly theme. Pilgrim butterflies, giant moth wings on the angels, the pupae/larvae stage of the Londor Pilgrim thingies, etc. I'm not sure if the "legs" on the angels are actual legs or just a frayed skirt, though (like the Darklurker from DaS2 had).