Anything without a home!

Lich180

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 9,957.50
Reminds me of "At the Mountains of Madness", where the narrator realizes that humanity and all life in Earth was accidentally created by a race of beings that colonized the early Earth. The Old Ones were masters of chemistry and physics, and could create life from lifelessness.

The Old Ones were apathetic towards any errant life that they created, and let it run rampant on Earth unless it posed them a threat. Thus, our distant mammalian ancestors were just an accidental creation that didn't look threatening enough to exterminate, and as a result of evolution we are here, now, totally by accident.

Lovecraft is so fun to read sometimes.

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 12,750.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 3
TSMP wrote:
Reaperfan wrote:Must've passed that a long time ago. Ever since hearing Bill Burr's rants on human population years ago I can't seem to disagree that, however unethical it would be to actually suggest, realistically speaking the easiest way to save the planet would be to just eliminate 60%-80% of human life. :straight face:

Well sure, if you want to be a quitter about it. A far more interesting way would be to send half the Earth's population off to colonize another planet. As long as you don't go the whole European colonialism route with them, they could eventually develop into valuable trading partners, and potential military allies if alien invasions ever become a problem. Of course, if they fail at finding a planet to colonize, then you did just technically eliminate 50% of human life... but doing that on purpose would be wrong, and you wouldn't get the later benefits of space stuff.

Failing that though, it might help to remember that we haven't yet hit the theoretical maximum of food production, even when you don't consider things like tech advancements opening up new and exciting ways to not starve. Yes, this does mean that there are a whole lot of starving people right now who might not actually need to be starving, but we also don't live in a global totalitarian government.

For me, it probably helps that I'm not much of an environmentalist. Might be because I view our existence as largely accidental and evolution as a cruel, sadistic process that can only be improved with the addition of human empathy. (He says, after casually talking about sending 4 billion people away on a suicide mission.)

Oooooh, I do quite enjoy these kind of philosophical discussions of ethics. I can't talk to my dad about this cause his reasoning is.....well, ridiculous. Basically, his argument comes down to, everything happens for a reason and is just, if a child who was just born is starving to death, it is just because..........reasons, like, maybe his father was bad, or in a past life he was bad.....or something (honestly, he doesn't explain it with any reasoning or logic). Also he doesn't believe in evolution at all, or dinosaurs......or a lot of science....and isn't good at understanding other people's ideas and beliefs, so yeah, there are needles broader than his views.

Also, this conversation really sounds like a Hitler was right joke is appropriate somewhere.

As for my views, While I do love the natural world and am often very saddened by its needless destruction, I've become quite apathetic to it all, likely as a coping mechanism cause if I was to emotionally engage with all the tragedies that occur in the world, I would probably literally die of a broken heart. Doesn't help that a lot of humans really just seem hell bent on their own self destruction.

I don't really think evolution and creation as a whole are accidental, rather a combination of various natural and/or artificial factors and influences driven by some natural force (of varying degrees of randomness), or by the mortal being's own will and actions.
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.

qeter

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 78.00
Bank: 4,558.00
Wiki Edits: 5
i like burning nature down and turning it into a parking lot. went to Dallas last week and surprised at the beauty of the Dallas skyline.

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 12,750.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 3
qeter wrote:i like burning nature down and turning it into a parking lot. went to Dallas last week and surprised at the beauty of the Dallas skyline.

Oh god I have something perfect for this.

If the video doesn't work, here's the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dyqas6Sm8

Watch on youtube.com
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 22,906.50
Wiki Edits: 18
@Fexelea

I work for myself, so getting me fired would be a pretty neat trick. (I know what you mean, but I can't not take the opportunity to snark.)

Some people take it too far and discredit the actual genuine claims. That sucks. That doesn't change the situation that led to this point that desperately needs to be addressed. And if people can't treat their co-workers (regardless of gender) with respect, they absolutely deserve whatever work related consequences come from that. Your private life is your buisness and you having regular coke fueled BDSM orgies on the weekends shouldn't matter as long as you can do your job, but once one starts disrespecting or exploiting people one works with one is putting their professional reputation on the line and it being destroyed is a consequence they earned. (Ie, the IGN thing is dumb unless that woman has repeatedly asked whover is doing it not to do it, but a lot of the things like the Fox News and various movie studio people doing outright sexual assault are not.)

There is already a law against fake claims, btw, they're libel/slander laws, and they're also very, very hard to prove, at least in the US (sadly, a necessary thing to prevent the system being weaponized against free speech.)

I might recommend people (as in everyone, not just women) make a habit of (audio) recording meetings, even "informal" ones, with anybody they work with. Warning them as legally required. Then if something happens, you have hard evidence.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 269,159.49
Bank: 7,643.71
Wiki Edits: 20496
The US slander laws are unfortunately not strong enough to take on things like social media bashing, and even so the first thing you have to do is a "cease and desist" which means the person can just take their post down... but the "damage" was done because everyone is going straight for the "accusation = guilty veredict"

I agree that the stuff happening at Hollywood is disgusting and should be stopped, but there's a huge difference between all the reported things that are being lumped together because there's a feeding frenzy on harassment. There's actual **** (forced sex 100% victim did not want it). There's abuse of power with sexual harassment (Sleep with me and I get you a gig. Victim does, to a degree, agree to the situation - no im not saying this is ok in any way, but it's different than being dragged down an alley and beaten senseless). There's sexual harassment (boss grabs your butt). Then there's "sexual harassment" (you go out drinking with your colleagues and one of them gets handy, but you keep talking and hanging out with him anyway, until one day months later you decide to complain to hr, without EVER having told him to stop. Or you go on a trip with a dude, staying at the same hotel, then are outraged the guy got in the shower with you because he thought it was happening, even though when you said no he walked away). Both of the last ones are part of this "movement".

The above situations are all SO different, and all deserve different investigations, that it's not fair one can simply say "It's sexual harassment and I'm therefore the victim and everyone must instantaneously believe me and ruin the other person's life"

A few years back, a crazy and jealous person was accusing the most amazingly honourable person I know of moonlighting as a drug dealer. They actually went to his work (a lawyer with 30 years of experience) and filed an absurd story of him owning organized crime ring across Asia. The company HR had to investigate and conduct full accounting reviews, interviews etc. They found it was completely untrue, and closed the investigation. But one cannot press charges for the accusation to your employer, because your employer cannot legally tell you who did it and you would have to actually prove you're NOT something (much harder to prove absence of anything).

Now imagine if the person that accused could instead go on social media, generate a "scandal" and everyone would assume it's instantly true. My friend would lose his job as his firm tries to distance itself from the drama because now there's a mob of people saying it's true regardless of whether it's true, his family and life would suffer, and he'd have to fight the "disprove this random claim". Even if he won, the public opinion on the matter is already settled and incredibly difficult to change, his career is shattered, and random crazy person is unlikely to be able to pay the real damages to his life.

Witch-hunting is not allowed here in the forum because of similar reasons, I think real life witch-hunting shouldn't be allowed on social media either. Perhaps if you want to tell "your story" on twitter, you should first be forced to tell it to the police, so there's an actual criminal result for lying.
Fextralife.com
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Lich180

Hollowed
Redeemer

Well my internet decided to go down tonight. My niece and nephew are going through withdrawls. Niece because her phone relies on internet to do anything, and nephew because he can't play any online games or watch YouTube.

And I'm sitting here, posting from a 4G LTE connection laughing at them.
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Souls: 43,783.50
Wiki Edits: 561
qeter wrote:i like burning nature down and turning it into a parking lot. went to Dallas last week and surprised at the beauty of the Dallas skyline.

Did someone say parking lots and shiny shopping malls?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChkhL1rulfs

Lich180

Hollowed
Redeemer

Hexxus scared me when I was little. The whole "smoke to slime to spooky scary skeleton" bit creeped me out.

Then I never liked Tim Curry in Home Alone 2, probably because he was creepy there too.

Only later for I learn the true horror of him playing Pennywise and Dr. Franekenfurter.