Anything without a home!

qeter

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 92.00
Bank: 4,558.00
Wiki Edits: 5
EldritchImagination wrote:Well I like me a good dark mystery, though ato be honest, I don't care for the art style. I'll check it out.

first three episodes serve as an introduction is not a moe anime i swear.

Reaperfan

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 5,167.00
Wiki Edits: 3
EldritchImagination wrote:Thing is, while the show started out good, with the mystery of what's going on, and him finding out how to best solve problems with repeated deaths, it's going downhill for me as of episode 13-15 (as far as I've got). Problem is, the MC is turning to F*CKING PIG HEADED LOSER! And not like the typical anime style loser whose pathetic combat/academic wise but lovable and well meaning (he is that way at first), I mean he becomes an arrogant, selfish, obsessive, egotistical, jerk with a hero complex in that he thinks everything revolves around him and only he can save the day, but can't do a damn thing right. What most ticks me off about him is all the mental and emotional breakdowns he has, leading to just pointless *%&^ ups on his part that just burden other people or at the very least make him look foolish. The worst incident for me was when, after seeing all his friends dead, something he's witnessed multiple times now and has recovered easily from, he literally turns into a mental vegetable after dying and resurrecting, leading to his friends GETTING KILLED AGAIN HAVING TO SAVE HIM!

Despite the hype the show got in its time, it was definitely hit or miss with people over stuff like this.

Personally, I took it as a kind of in-story metanarrative (is that the right term, I dunno but I'm using it anyway). As in, the MC being a normal guy from "normal" reality and having been accustomed to media such as games and anime and their various cliches and tropes, has this thing happen to him and starts making assumptions based on his situation due to the influence living with those kinds of stories has taught him. So like...since he has some fantastical supernatural event affect only to him, he assumes he's now "the main character" in some story and starts trying to do things like a main character would.

But a big point I think the series was trying to make was that, if this stuff ACTUALLY happened it would not be as fun as you think. The best example I think that people argued over back when it was airing was how he has this "extra lives" video-gamey ability but he still hates and fears the idea of dying. "Why does he try so hard every cycle when he could just go bit by bit more methodically to solve the problems? He knows there's no consequence for failure since he'll just come back anyway!" But, IIRC, he actually says at one point that no matter how many times it happens, it's still excruciatingly terrifying and painful. The idea is that even if from a story perspective it's a convenient power, nobody in their right mind wants to experience the pain of getting their stomach sliced open and then slowly bleed to death multiple times.

In a way, I almost feel like the series is trying to break apart the very idea of a "main character." They give him all the traits of one, but none of the advantages by turning all of the things normally associated with a MC into curses. His responses really started making more sense to me when I stopped thinking of him AS a "main character" and actually just started thinking of him as a regular guy. In reality, watching people you love getting violently murdered tends to leave massive mental scars and trauma, and watching it happen over and over again would in no way lessen that damage. His "mental vegetable" phase was where his mind literally reached the point of being under so much emotional stress it had to literally shut itself down to cope like an extreme version of the real-world Anxiety Cycle (people who suffer from Anxiety end up bobbing in and out of phases of Depression because the brain literally can't handle being wired like that constantly).

---------------------------------------

Anyway, if you're looking for similarly-themed stories I'd also recommend Stein's;Gate if you haven't seen it already. It's more an actual sci-fi story dealing with actual literal time travel, but handles it with more...nuance and detail than most other stories with that theme. It's also a kind of "slow burning" series, and most people say it doesn't really take off until about episode 6, though personally I enjoyed it all pretty equally.
A system error occurred during event movement.
A system error occurred during event movement...

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 12,774.00
Bank: 0.00
I get it's a metanarrative. It's made pretty clear of his mindset from the first episode where he keeps talking about what the situations should be and how it's a "bad" fantasy adventure cause it diverges so far from his idea of a video game, which is nice that they both reference and break away from typical anime cliche. I also understand that he is supposed to be representative of a real life person if put into that situation, but it still doesn't make him any more likable or empathetic to me. I guess my problem is that I've been in enough near death and emotionally straining situations that it really doesn't bother me nearly as much, so to me, the guy really just looks childish and illogical to an annoying degree.

What makes it dumb to me though is, at least in the anime, it seems inconsistent about how he feels about whole thing. First death is scary, makes sense, he doesn't know he's immortal, and he's still new to it. but then he has that moment of renewed resolve when Rem dies from the curse, and he jumps off a cliff to go back in time and save her. Okay, showing emotional development, I like it. Theeen he starts developing that hero complex almost out of the blue, which makes him dislikable as hell to me, especially after he just goes off on his love interest over how everything that's good that's happened is all because of him. His whole breakdown to me made him look like a self-centered jerk who only really cares about himself and how everything is about him. I might have been more sympathetic to his mental breakdown after witnessing his friends die if it wasn't for the arrogance, stubbornness, jerkishness, and pigheadedness he displayed up until that point, primarily the drive to be involved in everything his love interest was doing to the point where he goes and embarrasses both her and himself in front of an entire court in what I can only describe as a cascade of **uk ups, just one mistake after the other cause he would NOT shut his mouth and back down, like a spoiled brat.

Besides that though, the show is still good. I just despise how the MC acted for those 3 episodes. Hopefully he'll recover from his behavior as I continue, cause he dropped hard in my eyes in such a short span of events. As I said, the tradgedy that befell him would probably have had a more emotional impact on me if it wasn't for the fact that after the events in the capitol, I hated his guts and kind of wanted him to suffer. It's hard to empathize and care about a character if you hate him.
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 12,774.00
Bank: 0.00
So has anyone been watching a certain anime in particular. I've been interested in Evil or Live specifically. Has a lot of dark, realistic themes to it, mixing abusive boot camps with teenage technology addiction. After episode 4, MC just had his first major character development into what I assume he'll be turning into over the course of the story, going from wimpy, idealistic NEET to "my way or the highway", beat you over the head with bricks badass.

Also finished watching the MOB Psycho 100 anime. Thinking about getting the manga if more anime seasons don't come out cause I'm really interested in the story and characters.
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.