Discuss Divinity Original Sin, as well as comments posted to our Divinity Original Sin Wiki and Divinity Original Sin 2 Wiki

Seems like if you don't manage to save the family, even if gwyd survives, hannag won't talk to you (not sure if this is a bug or not, she's got the talk icon when you hover your mouse on her, but she won't stop walking around the area you find her in and no dialogue box comes up even if you catch up to her and try to talk.) the quest's marked as closed, so maybe this is intentional
Don't feel sad guys. I massacre his whole family.
that's the way
yeah if you didnt save his family but you do save him you dont get to finish the quest/get actual source points
Did both, but he still won't. Probably a bug, as I didn't do it in the "prescribed" order....
In this fight,when i kill Jonathan,there would be a lv8 the hammer's pet come out,it's pretty weak but it doesnt take any damage so i just cant kill it!!!!!
I cant keep on playing with this sh*t...
Finally managed to complete against the rope quest w/o losing an apprentice family at lvl. 12. No movie, but here are few tips. Once you enter blackpits, sneak to the left, and go to the dwarf cellar. Do not interact with any of the magisters, as if you don't have extremly high persuasion, you don't stand a chance. Stock up on water/air/physical spells. Pyro won't be of any help at all. Once you get to apprentice hanging, get up all of your characters to upper platform and initiate conversation with the main white magister (lvl 15). Meanwhile, teleport the magister as far away as possible (closer to the gate). The fight will be initiated, yet one if your characters will be locked in conversation with that magister. Take out the ranger magister, and complete the conversation. The void creatures will appear. This is very difficult fight, so save often. Your main goal to use teleport to throw every void creature/magister from the top platform, and heal/fortify the apprentice. Void creatures will be fighting magisters, you need to take them out from the top using air/physical. Once the fire creatures arrive, use air/water/physical on them. Try to pin them at lower levels for as much ad possible while taking them out with ranged attacks. Ranged Ifan destroyed most of the voids for me. After the fight, go back to apprentice family, and the fight will begin as soon as they see you, so use sneaking to tactically place your characters according the ability. Once again protect the apprentice. This fight is much easier (lvl 13-14 magisters), yet he can still die. After the fight, recieve your prize from the apprentice, and go back to the witch to increase your source. I'm sure there are easier ways, yet i really enjoyed this one as an underdog. Hope it helps.
Finally managed to complete against the rope quest w/o losing an apprentice family at lvl. 12. No movie, but here are few tips. Once you enter blackpits, sneak to the left, and go to the dwarf cellar. Do not interact with any of the magisters, as if you don't have extremly high persuasion, you don't stand a chance. Stock up on water/air/physical spells. Pyro won't be of any help at all. Once you get to apprentice hanging, get up all of your characters to upper platform and initiate conversation with the main white magister (lvl 15). Meanwhile, teleport the magister as far away as possible (closer to the gate). The fight will be initiated, yet one if your characters will be locked in conversation with that magister. Take out the ranger magister, and complete the conversation. The void creatures will appear. This is very difficult fight, so save often. Your main goal to use teleport to throw every void creature/magister from the top platform, and heal/fortify the apprentice. Void creatures will be fighting magisters, you need to take them out from the top using air/physical. Once the fire creatures arrive, use air/water/physical on them. Try to pin them at lower levels for as much ad possible while taking them out with ranged attacks. Ranged Ifan destroyed most of the voids for me. After the fight, go back to apprentice family, and the fight will begin as soon as they see you, so use sneaking to tactically place your characters according the ability. Once again protect the apprentice. This fight is much easier (lvl 13-14 magisters), yet he can still die. After the fight, recieve your prize from the apprentice, and go back to the witch to increase your source. I'm sure there are easier ways, yet i really enjoyed this one as an underdog. Hope it helps.
You can tp him out of the noose and itll avoid the fight
Doesn't work for me.
Teleport Gwydian straight from the noose into the tents close to the cave entrance and barricade him inside with the large chest from the treasure nearby. I move him into the furthest one away from the scaffolding with another hero, since some mobs can reach the closest tent with ranged attacks. Have your hero with the most movement points on top of the scaffolding and after the fight starts have him run to the sea, where you can have the rest of your party waiting. This is a very effective approach if you're under-geared or lack the proper spell set, because the fire DoT is non existent.

SlamSlamOhHotDamn

Souls: 50.00
Super easy way to cheese: The oil blobs only spawn when Gwydian uses chain lightning.

To prevent this use a character to teleport him away.
1. You need to do this before you engage in conversation with the magister investigating Gwydian
2. Do this from max range and teleport Gwydian close to you, this way he will talk to you, something about managing your source well

Then use your other characters to start a fight with the 3 magisters and kill them all while one of you keeps Gwydian in conversation.

After you kill them, just finish the conversation with Gwydian. He will simply walk towards his family now without using Chain lightning and thus not spawning any blobs.

I really struggled with the Blob fight because I ignited ALL the oil. Damn fire blobs were constantly healing. Refrain from creating fire if you're going to do this fight, trust me.