Discuss all and any games, devices and platforms!

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 12,369.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 3
I figured for this oh Hallows month of October, it's be nice to offer some Spooky game recommendations. Anything on sale, or high quality horror. Anything from childishly spooky like Costume quest, to Silent hill level disturbing. I'll add games as I find any of interest and encourage anybody else to do the same.

1). Distraint
I wanted to bring to light this game I bought a while ago and beat. Distraint. It's a short and sweet psychological horror game with themes of corporate corruption, Dehumanization, peer pressure, and the stress it can have on a person. It may have cartoonishly cute visuals, but the settings and atmosphere make it quite dark and disturbing. Gameplay is minimal, mostly simple puzzles and exploration. Find the thing, put the thing with the thing, standard adventure game stuff, but it's passable and at least for me, didn't get in the way of the story and pacing.

It's on sale for a dollar on Steam, so if you got a buck to burn, I recommend it for the atmosphere and story.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/395170/DISTRAINT_Deluxe_Edition/

2). Costume Quest
Really a Halloweeny Halloween game. Costumes, ticks, treats, turn based combat. I'd recommend it for people who like all of that.

3). Midnight Scenes
So I found this site that offers indie games for free or pick your price, kind of like Humble bundle. And found a free (unless you want to donate)
game called Midnight Scenes. It's a short adventure horror with Pixel graphics
https://pixelshuh.itch.io/midnight-scenes-the-highway

4). Trick or Treat
This one is mostly light hearted (mostly) with a JRPG style and story telling. You play as a young girl who, with her friend, enter a mysterious house that's supposed to be full of Halloween candy. There's a lot of mystery and secrets, along with imagery that ranges from kawaii cute to WTF disturbing,
but it's all in good fun in the end.....unless you get the bad ending.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/497640/Trick__Treat/

5). The Puppeteer
, now this game is unfortunately only on PS3, but if you have a PS3, I strongly recommend this, just for the story, characters, soundtrack, and visual style. I especially recommend it if you enjoy side-scrolling platformers. Admittedly, only one world in the game is actually Halloween themed, but to be honest,
the whole game has a whimsical, childishly dark nature to it. It has multiple themes, including pirates, sea monsters, westerns, Alice in wonderland-like surreal fantasy, and some high fantasy that mixes western and Japanese culture. The basics of the story is that an evil moon bear king has taken over the moon and plunged it into eternal darkness, and has begun stealing the souls of the sleeping children of Earth to turn into puppet slaves. You play as one such puppet boy who has quite literally lost his head over whole ordeal, and journeys with a pixie and wicked witch to get hid head back, and save the moon and Earth from the Moon Bear King's evil scheme. As I said, while there's only one truly Halloween world, the whole game has this air of a child's fairy tale that leans a bit on the dark side (in a good way).

5). The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut

Steam Store Page: "Grab your weapons and embark on an incredible adventure in the gothic-noir world of Borgovia, where mad science threatens the peace between monsters and mortals. Save the day with your charming companion, Lady Katarina (who happens to be a ghost). Explore the wilderness and the grim districts of a metropolis twisted by weird science, and don’t forget: you might never know who the real monsters are! The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut is the definite collection of three stand-alone episodes told as one continuous story, with six playable classes and a new endgame mode with a huge variety of open missions!"

Me: As far as I know, It a Gothic Victorian Diablo-like Action-RPG. Always wanted to try it out, but never got to it.
It's sell with a bunch of other Action-RPGs on Humble Bundle if you're interested. Very low price ATM.
Last edited by EldritchImagination on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:46 am, edited 6 times in total.
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.

Lich180

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 9,391.00
One of the free games for PS+ this month is Amnesia Dark Descent.

A good horror game, Darkest Dungeon.

Fallenangel700

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 5,991.50
Wiki Edits: 204
Lich180 wrote:A good horror game, Darkest Dungeon.

Very true:

Also Darkest Dungeon:

Great game if you can handle blood-boiling RNG.

I'll also recommend the remaster of the first Resident Evil. It's old and it shows, but I still enjoyed it a lot.
The first Outlast is also pretty good. Both the story and the spooks are great, plus a bit of real world plausibility on the corporate cover up front.
Until Dawn is another one I highly recommend. Takes the Butterfly Effect literally, provides cryptic glimpses into the future that tell little, and has a very good story with amazing plot twists. Also has a bit of Native American folklore, if you're interested in that stuff.
Slayer of Demons,Inquisitor,Ylissean Tactician,Kindred Hunter,Gray Warden,Dark Lord,Secret Worlder,Good Hunter,Chosen Undead,Nerevarine,Exile,Mugunghwa Investigator,Tremere Anarch,ESPer,Squad 7 Hero,Nohrian Prince,Arisen,God Eater,YoRHa Android

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Darkest dungeon is also on sale on Steam. Though I've never liked RNG when it's varies too much. I don't like a game of supposed skill where no matter how good I am at it, there's practically no chance of winning because the metaphorical dice rolled against my favor.
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.

Lich180

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 9,391.00
Darkest Dungeon isn't nearly as bad of RNG as say, XCOM. You can get through everything without being too screwed after you have enough experience to know what kind of enemies are most dangerous, which die first and how to build a rounded party.

You still have a few moments where you screw up, misclick, and all 4 enemies crit your healer, bleed them and when the healer goes first before everyone else, fails their Death's Door check and dies.

I've personally only lost about 10 heros, and those were all things that I screwed up on or didn't know a mechanic that lead to death.

Nahztek-Shadowpath

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 5,855.50
Go find an old ‘Turbo Graphics 16’ and play ‘Splatterhouse’.

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

bumping for added games.

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Had to put this in on account of the Humble bundle Action-RPG sale going on. The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut

It's on sale now on Humble bundle with a bunch of other games as a part of the 1$ price tier. You can also get the borderlands games, and donate to charity!

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Here's a fighter People might be interested in. War of the Monsters for originally for PS2 and digitally for PS4. It basically takes monsters from all the classic 1950s monster flicks, and throws them together in a monster fighter mash up. Aliens invade Earth, Humans fight back, blowing UFos up, the fuel from the UFOs start leaking all over the world, creating 100 ft tall monsters inspired by Godzilla, King Kong etc. and you get to play as them, beating the living *$&% out of all the others.

It's got 3rd person, combo based combat, a good Single player like most tournament fighters, complete with boss battles, multiplayer, and a few minigames, as well as a fair roster of monsters to play as, from a giant spiked lizard that's a mix between Godzilla and Baraka (my favorite), to a dragon, to a living mass of sentient lava and a Japanese Gundam Robot complete with a giant laser samurai sword.

Also, the PC ARPG Grim Dawn is for sale on GOG for its first DLC release, 70% off. The game is a spiritual successor to Titan's Quest. Though not really based on anything particularly horror themed, it has strong dark fantasy themes and some Gothic horror elements.
https://www.gog.com/game/grim_dawn

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Just wanted to say that Costume quest is 1$ on Steam right now.