Discuss the latest Dark Souls Title!

plasmafogking

Casual
Convict

Souls: 583.00
Yeah, dark souls series is kinda special as it fits many genres, but at the same time only use very minor elements of it.

RPG - while you can build your character however you like, you aren't playing desired role or trying to be certain someone. You have ONE role - chosen undead. You can't play any other roles, you don't actually have classes or specializations, you don't make immerse into a specific patch of good or evil.

Action - yes, combat is action based, but that's it. You don't have special skills to combined in action-sequences, you don't have quick-time events, or anything else ties to action games. Only weapon swings and dodges.

Horror - yes, there are monsters, zombies, etc. Yes, world is grim and dark. But it is not scary, it doesn't try to terrify you.

Adventure - you literally have one adventure to go on. You down go through many different places and encounter many different quest. You have just one adventure to go onto (to kill all bosses) and that's it.

So, in my opinion, dark souls series could be called DQG (dark quest game) as it fits the genre the best and maintains everything essential with game without going into other genres.
DQG - a game where you go into grim and dark world with a single purpose to complete a single most important quest. Everything else in this game is trivial and doesn't really matter.

Abaddon

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,283.50
Wiki Edits: 9
Not sure about anyone else here but untended graves scared the **** out of me. Dark souls may not be considered a horror genre but it definitely instills fear. the horror of realizing if i failed to link the flame this is what could happen was frightening.

To say dark souls is an action rpg is an over simplification honestly. is it a action RPG yes but it's also so much more. to truly categorize you'd need about 10-12 different genre titles which would just sound silly. but to make a new genre title would be a waste IMO because as many "souls like" games that are being released nothing is ever truly like dark souls even bloodborne was it's own unique game similar mechanics but traits in both games that set them distinctly apart.
Last edited by Abaddon on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 12,750.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 3
Probably why, instead of making a catch all genre name for a specific game type, sites like Steam just give multiple genre and mechanic tags to best describe what the game is apart from visually showing it. Basic meaning tags that, when put together, paint a pretty good picture of the game's content.....assuming they're true.
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.

Abaddon

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,283.50
Wiki Edits: 9
Yeah the problem with steam is so many people throw up random genre and mechanic tags sometimes it's hard to know if the that's what a game really is. I went look for a RTS game i saw awhile back to see if it had come out yet (tooth and tail) couldn't remember the name but remembered it was a strategy game. Holy hell half the games under the strategy category were not strategy games just games with choices or a pizza making simulator it was honestly infuriating to go through them.

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Abaddon wrote:Yeah the problem with steam is so many people throw up random genre and mechanic tags sometimes it's hard to know if the that's what a game really is. I went look for a RTS game i saw awhile back to see if it had come out yet (tooth and tail) couldn't remember the name but remembered it was a strategy game. Holy hell half the games under the strategy category were not strategy games just games with choices or a pizza making simulator it was honestly infuriating to go through them.

Hence why I say, assuming they're true. the biggest problem with having humans tagging the game genre, you know they're going to do it stupid just to be an @$$. Like how they labled Dark Souls "kawaii" and "easy"

"Chosen undead senpai, please no! I-I love you, but it's too fast! We haven't even engaged in jolly co-operation yet. *Anime moans*"
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 20,733.50
Wiki Edits: 18
https://*/images/kc7ayx

the french video game website "gamekult" has been referring to the current trend of making video games more old school, harder etc as "darksoulisation" of video games ever since Dark souls started being emulated.
it has become its own genre in my opinion, and therefore does not really fit the ARPG no more than any other genre. It is the "souls" genre now.
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you once, but then I got a [dark souls] in the knee.
so...
A hoonter must hoont!

chasch

Souls: 57.00
Besides the genre ambiguity, there are a couple of misconceptions ( in my opinion ) about this game that seem to be so widely agreed upon that it boggles my mind.....some that immediately spring to mind ( and are burned into my memory till this day ) are in no particular order:

1) THIS GAME TAKES SKILL!!! Ummmmm no…no it doesn’t…what you need for this game is a very good memory ( for remembering exact enemy positions and attack patterns ) and to employ a previously rather hated game mechanic called trial and error ( because there is usually a 3 second window in boss fights to attempt some form of action before “oh **** that didn’t work and now I’m dead again” ). The fact that the enemies do EXACTLY the same thing EVERY time also helps with the memorising bit.

Heaven forbid that they actually deviated from the script and you had to react and adapt because THAT
would require skill. Unfortunately for that to even be possible you would need controls that are
responsive enough, but since your attack and defense are permanently welded to arguably the two most
unresponsive buttons on the controller, it would be a bit tricky. And let’s not even mention the unwieldy
lock-on via RS click that not only sucks donkey balls, but at times makes it sound like you’re trying
to send a message in **** morse code.

2) IT’S OPEN WORLD!!! Nope, take a look around……it’s actually a bunch of interconnected levels in a pretty damn linear way. They just don’t have loading screens between them.

3) WHEN YOU DIE IT’S NEVER CHEAP. IT’S YOUR OWN FAULT!!! Oh ok then. It…it wasn’t you Dark Souls…..it was me. I even remember a few of the times my obvious lack of skill and mental retardation caused my downfall. There were a several times I was killed through a wall/door/floor because I was too thick to realise they were wielding those special weapons that actually disrupt the atoms in matter allowing them to pass right through solid objects. Then there were these annoying assassins that liked to hide around corners and buildings along the street and then jump out when you go past so they can slit your throat. But there again I should have smelled their farts because I was downwind after all. And who can forget the time I walked through one of the bright portals to hell only to find myself in a quaint little courtyard. A courtyard so small that it could barely hold myself, the two mongrel bastard dogs that were already within touching distance or the boss-man who was having trouble finding the space to swing his ginormous **** weapon.

Once again my skills just weren’t up to par and…….no **** this!! It’s YOU Dark Souls. It’s the way every
enemy turns into an olympic sprinter all headed in your direction the moment an Estus Flask touches your lips because they can all just sense you’re in the ****. It’s the way that you even hide campfires, the
only points of recovery and progress saving, in the **** levels. It’s the way that 50% of the time I
find myself near some form of fatal drop surrounded by enemies all intent on introducing me to it. It’s
the sound of my sword clanging merrily against the wall in a narrow passage/on a narrow staircase while
being hacked to death by an enemy with no such problems.

There are many more examples, bu t I’ve blocked them out in an attempt to keep some of my sanity. Almost every aspect of this game was designed to not be fun and piss you off and I think they they went overboard, plain and simple. Like the whole level of Blightown, whose designers should develop a pestilence in their nether regions.

Psiberzerker

Casual
Convict

Souls: 501.00
chasch wrote:1) THIS GAME TAKES SKILL!!! Ummmmm no…no it doesn’t…what you need for this game is a very good memory ( for remembering exact enemy positions and attack patterns ) and to employ a previously rather hated game mechanic called trial and error ( because there is usually a 3 second window in boss fights to attempt some form of action before “oh **** that didn’t work and now I’m dead again” ). The fact that the enemies do EXACTLY the same thing EVERY time also helps with the memorising bit.

That's a skill. Memorisation of an enemy, and learning to predict/react with proper timing is the basic skill you have to learn. If it wasn't a skill, you wouldn't have to learn it.

2) IT’S OPEN WORLD!!! Nope, take a look around……it’s actually a bunch of interconnected levels in a pretty damn linear way. They just don’t have loading screens between them.

Completely agree. It's a path, with a couple branches (Cathedral or Carthus) that come back together immediately. (You need the Doll to enter IotBV, then you're done with that branch.) Extremely linear, especially compared with other games in the series.

3) WHEN YOU DIE IT’S NEVER CHEAP. IT’S YOUR OWN FAULT!!!

This is basic Dunning Kruger. It's never my fault, the bad connection is always "He's lagging." No matter how many frames you drop, you focus on that Phantom Vanellope glitching, and not how much your own frames drop. (Partially also focus on the Enemy. You know what you're doing)

Also false dichotomy. It's Always them cheating. Always the game letting you down, I never mess up! There is such a thing as luck. Chicken Wing Parry Kings pretty much depend on the stars aligning, and them getting that lucky parry. (Also other players not knowing all the wonderful ways to counter a Parry King. We count those frames too.)

Not even close to limited to this game. Seems to afflict gamers in general, they called "Hax!" on me when I started playing Ranged/2H Hybrid in RunEscape, because the common knowledge was that Pures are the only viable builds. (Granted it was an animation cancellation glitch, and they implicitely set it up to favor a Rochameaux of Pures. I was intentionally breaking the game.)

Almost every aspect of this game was designed to not be fun and piss you off and I think they they went overboard, plain and simple. Like the whole level of Blightown, whose designers should develop a pestilence in their nether regions.

Fun is a judgement call. I personally get immense enjoyment kiting the Abyss Watchers around with a Whip because I can. It makes the victory feel so much sweeter when i cherry tap them like that. (Ever since I dialed in on their pattern.) Why I like whips, because they do so little damage (To compensate for all their advantages) I can enjoy a long fight. I like long fights. Some people like 1HKs, and Hypermode to stack up 4 Buffs naked, and their health below the Morion Blade/Red tearstone threshold.

Others like beating the game at SL1. Or running it in under 3 hours. Or trolling high level players in a Thrall Mask with Force and Ladders. Or Invading with 70% health in search of 3-on-1s. That's what's great about this game, you can do all of that. Or none of it. There's so many ways to enjoy it. It invites Challenges, once you get over the initial Skill Hump to Git Good.
Skilled>Build

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

announakis wrote:https://*/images/kc7ayx

the french video game website "gamekult" has been referring to the current trend of making video games more old school, harder etc as "darksoulisation" of video games ever since Dark souls started being emulated.
it has become its own genre in my opinion, and therefore does not really fit the ARPG no more than any other genre. It is the "souls" genre now.

Sounds a lot like how people were saying Crash Bandicoot has become Dark Souls. That just because a game is difficult and possesses the same/similar design as older style games makes it "Soulsian".

Lich180

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 9,957.50
Crash Bandicoot was already a difficult game, back when it was first released. Crash is like the hipster Souls game.