Comments posted to our Dark Souls 3 Wiki

Time for Crab
If you go inside one of the small ruins in road of sacrifices the crabs will still attack you but will miss if you stay back and won't regen health allowing you to use ranged attacks.
We are born by the crab, made men by the crab, undone by the crab. Our claws are yet to open. Fear the old crab

C R A B S
Some things I have noticed while studying the way of the Smoldering Crab. (Applies to Melee only)

>I would advise keeping equip load under 70% while fighting them, you'll need the roll range. Potentially lose any shields too and two-hand your way through the fight. With enough practice and familiarity, becoming hit in the first place becomes extremely unlikely.

>They don't just hate strike damage, they REALLY hate strike damage. (I used a +4 Executioner's GS @ 38 STR, two handed) Bring a strike weapon with some reach.

>Their left claw, while faster, leaves them extremely open to at least two swings from a greatsword. Roll behind them, under the attack. 1st strike will hit their behind, 2nd will hit their front as they turn to face you. 3rd swing is possible, but risky. Their right claw will follow up its first attack with a second almost without fail, making rolling and countering this claw more undesirable as the left claw will not likely combo if you roll under it. The 1st swing after rolling can safely be an R2 attack if you land close enough and have a suitable moveset on it for your weapon.

>If the crab is only presenting its right, larger claw, roll under its attack, then roll immediately again away from but in front of the crab. This should stop it trying to smash you with the wrong claw and allow you to bait it into using its left instead.

Just my two cents, hope it helps someone new who is super intimidated by the crabs like I was when I started. Many thanks also to the other contributors here, this wiki has been such a huge help c:
Great Crab aka professional donkers of ds3
i wonder what it tastes like
Why's everybody rolling through their attacks? Just get up in their grill, keep your shield up, and keep circling in the direction of their smaller arm. It only takes about 1/10 of your stamina at 40 END if it hits you with the little claw, and it's unlikely they'll break your guard. Lower your shield again when their attacking stops to regenerate stamina faster, and if you get all the way behind them, give them a whack or two. And then, of course, the moment you see them rear up, just let loose with the critical attack.

Probably the ONLY time to dodge is when their mouth bubbles as they ready for a grab attack, since it completely ignores your shield, but be careful you don't dodge too soon. Also, when they try to spit at you, the constant movement to their side will prevent you from getting hit even without rolling, as long as you're close enough to them. These are both prime opportunities for counterattacks. Of course, be careful that you don't end up luring more than one crab at a time, since that immediately makes the situation plenty more dire (inevitable when fighting the frost crabs in Ariandel, unfortunately).

Btw, I was using Shield of Want+5, which doesn't even have that great of a stability stat. I'm sure turtling with Moaning Shield would do just fine, as most players seem to prefer these days.
I always leave the docile crab in Smouldering Lake alone, lol. I'm sure the 10 other crabs will be enough to end world hunger anyway.