Discuss the latest Dark Souls Title!

Wark

Souls: 135.00
Are there any statistics about player levels I wonder? I'm lvl 139 with my main character and plan to play a lot longer with him. At what level will I start to feel lonely?

IgnusKnavery

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 5,308.00
Wark wrote:Are there any statistics about player levels I wonder? I'm lvl 139 with my main character and plan to play a lot longer with him. At what level will I start to feel lonely?

Personally I'd stop at 140. The game isn't going to get any easier by leveling more.
“I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.”
― Hunter S. Thompson
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Souls: 43,136.50
Wiki Edits: 561
IgnusKnavery wrote:
Wark wrote:Are there any statistics about player levels I wonder? I'm lvl 139 with my main character and plan to play a lot longer with him. At what level will I start to feel lonely?

Personally I'd stop at 140. The game isn't going to get any easier by leveling more.

Actually, if you're leveling your build correctly, it can continue to get stronger all the way up to about SL250, at which point you hit all the softcaps for stats that can synergize. 50vig, 30att, 40end, 40vit, 60dex, then 60 into either Int or Fth, followed by 40 into either Str or Lck. Going for both Str and Lck wouldn't help your damage output by any significant amount, since very few quality-inclined weapons are more than 5 AR higher as Hollow, so it's better to go with one or the other. The 60dex is because Refined weapons continue to get at least 1 AR per level up to that point, but Hollow weapons don't so you could probably drop it to 45-50 if you want to save levels. 40lck instead of 60lck is because Hollow weapons get less than 1 AR per level after 40 (they really do scale poorly with Luck). Going for 60 in either Int or Fth instead of 40 or 45 in both is because the weapon buffs for pyromancy and dark spells are really kind of terrible. It's perfectly possible to make a quality/pyro build at SL250, but you'll get more damage out of 60fth Darkmoon Blade or 60int CMW instead. Although, your spell selection will be a bit weaker, but if you went with Int then you'll have other options like Immolation Tinder whereas Faith gets the Sunlight Straight Sword. It's not a bad trade-off, all things considered.

And then there's SL351 where you can softcap every single stat simultaneously, though you don't gain any additional strength past ~SL250.

Wark

Souls: 135.00
Well since I don't want the game to stay easy, I think I'm going to keep playing until the game becomes literally unbeatable :D
I didn't know luck was of any use other than getting items.
I play melee, so spells are of little concern to me.
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Souls: 43,136.50
Wiki Edits: 561
Wark wrote:Well since I don't want the game to stay easy, I think I'm going to keep playing until the game becomes literally unbeatable :D
I didn't know luck was of any use other than getting items.
I play melee, so spells are of little concern to me.

Technically, it's not even good for getting items. It takes about 40 levels spent just to equal the amount of extra item find you get from a rusted gold coin.

Luck's good for three things: Anri's Straight Sword, the Man-Grub Staff, and the Hollow infusion, and it's actually kind of bad at two of those things. The Man-Grub Staff is weaker than other staves when you factor in spell Int requirements for the total level cost (not to mention how CMW doesn't scale with it), and Hollow weapons actually have something close to a C-rank scaling factor for Luck, which is usually lower than their natural Strength or Dexterity scaling even after infusion. Anri's Straight Sword is... functional. It isn't the all-destroying beast it was on release, and now it's just weak enough that you kinda sorta need to buff it if you want it to do enough damage compared to other swords. And what with the (minor) Faith scaling on it and MGS not giving Lck scaling to CMW, it's just too much better on a Fth/Int hybrid than a pure Lck or Int/Lck, and Hollow weapons give it too much competition in Str/Lck or Dex/Lck hybrids.

If you want to make a Luck build, just keep in mind that at after all the patches they're basically inferior versions of other builds. Str/Lck and Dex/Lck (both Hollow) builds lost the bleed status that used to be the only reason they could outdamage pure Str, pure Dex, and Str/Dex hybrid. Fth/Lck only has one weapon to its name (Anri's), and even then the Sunlight Straight Sword is better for Faith buffing now. Int/Lck has absolutely zero synergy between its stats, and at no point do they work together to make the build worth how many levels you spent on it. Pure Luck not only has the same one weapon problem Fth/Lck has, but it can't even buff it and Anri's isn't strong enough to stand on its own anymore. Basically, the novelty factor of having a Luck build tends to wear off really quickly when you realize Hollow builds are virtually indistinguishable from Heavy, Sharp, or Refined builds nowadays, and that Fth/Int+Lck is limited to exactly one melee weapon.

Side note, the NG+ difficulty increase stops at NG+8 or something like that. Past that point, it stops getting harder.

ElvesRule

Lifetime Subscriber
Souls: 7,145.00
I finally tried the DLC and after several months away, I do suck! I apologize to everyone of my first 25 hosts this weekend while I was shaking off the cobwebs. And dammit, they nerfed all of my good cheese.

After playing several hours, I of course figured out the best plan to get to the boss: eliminate the angels, unlock the bonfires, go back and leisurely pick up every shiny and only then ember up and summon for the boss. Until you kill the angel avatars, it's just too hard. And there was a 99% invasion rate. My character is only level 97 and I refuse to level higher. I got summoned a lot, but didn't see that many signs myself. I think the range is still 140 max that I can see, and of course, very unlikely that there are many volunteers in the last DLC that are up to 40 levels less than me.