Discuss Bloodborne and Yharnam lore, theories, beasts and the secrets of the land.

Kindlesmith80

Souls: 102.50
I am lore hunting. Specifically I am looking for all the lore, without conjectures, revolving around Paleblood, Gehrman, and the Moon Presence.

Spent days playing this and today I've completed the game. Certainly not a good way to end a story driven game; the ending cutscene doesn't match up to the final battle with the so-called true boss.
Watch an interesting movie from the beginning, up to its climax, then cut straight to credits and some weird extra bit at the end that some movies do.
That is the exact level of annoyance I got from this game.
Reminds me of old arcade games that just show up "The End' after you beat the game.
Quite a bit of emphasis on the character you play just to not gain any relevant closure for them.

So perhaps the gap between the death of Moon Presence and the abrupt (random) cutscene may be hidden somewhere in the game.
I don't have the patience to play through the entire thing again hunting down every bit of possible missed lore. There is too much wasted time levelling up and fighting mobs that tidbits of information are going to be easily forgotten. I've looked around online, and found everything else BUT those three (Paleblood, Gehrman, and the Moon Presence). I also found a lot of conjectures, which are all meaningless personal opinions. When I need to seperate the fact from the opinion that's too much of chore since I don't even know what the facts are.
So, I would like any and all facts within the game revolving around Paleblood, Gehrman, and the Moon Presence. No conjectures, just pure fact from within the game please and thankyou.
Insight is much appreciated.

I am tired from all this searching.
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 2,414.54
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 460
No way someone puts together a full list here. Way too much. Your best bet is to head to the wiki and read item descriptions and dialogue.

Also, these games are meant to fuel conjecture. The whole list of facts is still going to be more like a connect the dots puzzle that's not numbered than a portrait
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

dn1nd

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 0.00
Bank: 50,547.50
Wiki Edits: 127
Without Conjectures it is a short list.

I'll compile it quick, but as Skare said this all can be pulled straight from the Wiki.
For all the Lore Notes refer to this page I am only posting Note specifically stating what was asked for.

https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Lore+Notes

Paleblood

Oh, yes... Paleblood... Well, you've come to the right place. Yharnam is the home of blood ministration. You need only unravel its mystery. But, where's an outsider like yourself to begin? Easy, with a bit of Yharnam blood of your own... But first, you'll need a contract...

Every Great One loses its child, and then yearns for a surrogate. The Third Umbilical Cord precipitated the encounter with the pale moon, which beckoned the hunters and conceived the hunter's dream."

Behold! A Paleblood sky!

Moon Presence

"The nameless moon presence beckoned by Laurence and his associates. Paleblood."

Gehrman

Among the first hunters, all students of Gehrman, was the lady hunter Maria. This was her hunter's cap, crafted in Cainhurst.

Maria is distantly related to the undead queen, but had great admiration for Gehrman, unaware of his curious mania"

This hunter's badge, crafted in Gehrman's time, has no practical purpose, except perhaps to assist in romanticizing the past.

The badge was a special privilege for the hunters of the past, and should not be dishonored.

It should be left in peace, unless one is truly prepared to assume the will of those gone before

Trick weapon wielded by Gehrman, the first hunter."

A masterpiece that defined the entire array of weapons crafted at the workshop. Its blade is forged with siderite, said to have fallen from the heavens.

Gehrman surely saw the hunt as a dirge of farewell, wishing only that his prey might rest in peace, never again to awaken to another harrowing nightmare. "

"Did you speak with Gehrman? He was a hunter long, long ago, but now serves only to advise them. He is obscure, unseen in the dreaming world. Still, he stays here, in this dream... ...such is his purpose..."

Hunter attire of Gehrman, the first hunter.

Created before the workshop existed by making adjustments to everyday clothing, and later became the basis for all hunter's garb.

The hunter's emphasis on engaging beasts with speed, and therefore of selecting lightweight attire, no doubt traces back to Gehrman's own combat style

The bone of an old hunter whose name is lost.

It is said that he was an apprentice to old Gehrman, and a practitioner of the art of Quickening, a technique particular to the first hunters.

It is most appropriate that hunters, carriers of the torch who are sustained by the dream, would tease an old art from his remains. "

Enjoy the read and figuring out the lore.
Last edited by dn1nd on Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shop Icon
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 2,414.54
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 460
Good start @dn1nd

The reason I said the list might be too monstrous, is because the original request is for things revolving around them as well. Those items open up the Pandora's box of...well...almost the entire game.

If you want to know about Gehrman for instance, labeled as the "First" hunter, you need to explore out into the Hunters in totality. Here's an easy for instance, his weapon and the Blade of Mercy are the only two forged from Siderite, which opens a few other questions for sure.

Also, the Hunters have connections to the other factions.

I know the goal is to understand the ending, but there's no straight path to it.

And that's not to discourage the search for you @Kindlesmith80 it's more to point out that the search isn't an easy one.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

dn1nd

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 0.00
Bank: 50,547.50
Wiki Edits: 127
If he wanted to start connection the dots more thoroughly it would be monstrous. But with the request of no speculation I stuck to just what specifically mentioned the 3 he wished to hear about.

Shop Icon

Kindlesmith80

Souls: 102.50
Awesome. Thank you. that's the kind of info i was after. I've already hunted down all the other info concerning everything else in the game, I was missing pieces to make any kind of sense of:

Why these worlds exist (answered above ty)
Who created the worlds (answered above ty)
Who and what is a Paleblood (answered above ty)
Mysteries surrounding the Moon Presence (answered above ty).
Gehrman's current true role in the worlds (answered above ty)

Unfortunately it still doesn't bridge the gap between defeating the Moon Presence and the cutscene.
I could conjure some rather random theories all 100% true.
Some examples:

***POTENTIAL SPOILERS WARNING***
Player defeats Moon Presence. Player winks out of existence but leaves behind the Kos Parasite that gets picked up by the doll who is thankful for this.

Player is destroyed and the Moon Presence reverts to some smaller or true form. Doll finds it amusing the player even attempted to defeat it.

Player and Moon Presence are fused into a new organism; that worm in the cutscene.

The blood transfusion combined with the used umbilical cords transforms the player into a beast; the worm in the cutscene.

Player wakes up in their own world free from these chaotic worlds, and in the absence of something that keeps those chaotic worlds in existence a replacement is raised.

See, so many possibilities without that very important information. I really don't like ambiguous / interpretation endings. Great stories, up to that final stretch where it matters most.
There is also one more mystery that never is explained. What was the player originally seeking that required them to go through all that mess? It isn't important as the entire game doesn't place any significance on it. I understand it is just the motive for involvement.

Bonaduce80

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 731.00
Well, to be honest is par for the course with Soulsborne games... maybe Demons' Souls slightly less so. I am hardly a lore buff, but considering the trophy you win in Playstation for that ending, you achieve some sort of kinhood after defeating the Moon Presence. Groups like the Choir and Mensis were trying to reach them through different means, but the hunter being able to consume 3 thirds of umbilical cords gives him enough insight (or a different kind of insight) to resist the MP (something we have to assume Gehrman couldn't) and by defeating it take its place as an Old One at a early stage (therefore the chibi Cthulhu transformation and the doll refering to the squid as the good hunter).

In previous Souls games, absorbing souls make you more powerful: in DS2 powerful enough to become the next monarch and link the fire. In Demons' Souls, interestingly enough, a human can become a demon and enlarge their souls by plundering someone else's (a powerful human can be considered a Demon, and we know the colourless fog can be involved in the process; yet Astraea keeps her consciousness whereas Phalanx, the Tower Knight and Penetrator do not).

After... defeating Rom? Or is it Mergo's wet nurse? the doll will mention your presence soothes her and reminds her of the echoes of the past. My take is that you are somehow becoming kin by defeating kin, ascending of sorts, but will only happen if you get the good (?) ending.

Rakuyo

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 1,440.00
Bank: 76,984.50
Wiki Edits: 14627
@Kindlesmith80

If you know everything except the details about Paleblood, The Moon Presence and Gehrman, than you know a great deal more than me.

I've written a good bit that deals with those topics. Technically it's conjecture, but I try to keep it "above average conjecture":

https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Moon+Presence+Lore+by+Rakuyo

https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Blood+Lore+by+Rakuyo

https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/The+Mysteries+of+Cainhurst+Garb+&+Architecture+(Lore)+by+Rakuyo

Paleblood is hard, but I believe the following at least touches on the truth:

-Paleblood is connected to the medical condition "hypochromic anemia".

-Paleblood is connected to The Moon.

-Paleblood has some connection to nobility, vampires and Great Ones.
Shop IconShop Icon

joey.rawr

Souls: 271.50
There are no answers for those kinds of questions. Miyazaki stated that he left those answers out, not only to allow the players to have creative license, but so he himself could as well. Meaning there is no concrete answer. Like any good writer will tell you, they don't create the story, the create the world and the characters. When those two things are done correctly the characters will act and speak for themselves.

Quentin Tarantino once said in an interview (Paraphrasing): "...All I knew is there was a poisoned cup of coffee. I didn't know who poisoned it. I knew someone did, but I left it up to the characters themselves to eventually reveal who had done it".

I know it lacks the big grand answer you were hoping for, but that's what good story telling is. Miyazaki also stated in the same interview that he enjoys seeing the stories the community comes up with for his games. I can't imagine he would ever want to reveal all the secrets to us and lose out on what he considers to be a fun part of game design.

The most simple answer I can pose is this:

By consuming the 3 Third Cords, and defeating the moon presence, we ascend beyond human and become a great one.

That's it. The bare bones Occam's Razor version of the ending. However the exact mechanisms and implications of that scenario will always remain without answer.
Ex-U.S Army, Adult Performer, Speedrunner, and Souls advocate.

I'm often on the opposite end of popular opinion asking one question:
"By whose standards?"

italofoca

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,288.00
I would like to add to @dn1nd list

"Visitor… Moon-scented hunter… I am Annalise, Queen of Castle Cainhurst. Ruler of the Vilebloods, and sworn enemy of the church. " - Annalise

This is very tangential but still could be seem as a mention of the Moon Presence.

About the goal of your character. You are sick and go to Yharnam in search of a cure. Why is that your character was choosen to be a Hunter's Dream hunter is hard to tell.