Today in a first look with IGN, we got a glimpse at the new social space in Destiny 2, called The Farm. In the 4 plus minute video we learn a little bit more about where your Guardians are going to be hanging out between crucible matches, quests, strikes and raids.
Destiny 2 The Farm Information
The refugee space is where you and the citizens will escape to after the events of the first game and will have your necessary vendors and will evolve as the game progresses.
- The space is more dynamic as characters will come and go and the population will grow over time. Ships will come and go as you will witness the war unfold.
- The Postmaster is returning to hold your correspondence as well as the Cryptarch, Tyra Karn who will no doubt be highly popular as players curse their weapon and armor drops.
- The Farm will feature activities and mini-tasks that you can undertake.
- There will be a multitude of activities going on in the location related to the story that show humanity’s preparations during war such as repairing ships and sparrows.
- New NPCs and vendors will make periodic appearances.
- The soccer ball is back! This time there is a fully scored soccer game, complete with nets and fireworks that celebrate your goals.
- Since you’ll be sharing the space with over 20 other players, Bungie is adding options for drawing attention to yourself and let you stand out. There are activities that let you run faster or add an effect that gives a noticeable flair. Players will have to solve just how to trigger these effects but they will let you engage in some activities that seem impossible for the space. Flying perhaps?
Destiny 2 increasingly looks like it’s taking the don’t fix what isn’t broken approach, and rather than a complete overhaul, attention is being paid to addressing issues that plagued the first while expanding upon the existing features. We learned last week how Clans were getting a deeper integration and at E3 we got to see some of the exclusive PS4 content coming.
Destiny 2’s beta begins July 18th and 19th for the PS4 and Xbox One respectively, with pre-orders all gaining early access by a couple of days. PC is also getting a beta in late August with the exact date yet to be determined.
Thoughts on the new social space? Will you miss the Tower, Reef and other hangouts from the first game? Let us know what you think in the comments. Destiny 2 is releasing on September 6th for the PS4 and Xbox One and October 24th for PC.
Visit the Destiny 2 Wiki
More on Destiny 2