Last updated on August 7th, 2015
By August 31, 2014Published:
- Yield: 1 (4 Servings)
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- Ready In: 50 mins
Irish Translation-skinny sliced spuds with cream and fancy stuff that's not cabbage.
- 1 medium onion finely sliced.
- 4-5 Medium Potatoes (White or Red) finely sliced, almost paper thin
- 2 pinches salt and pepper sprinkled over potatoes and in cream
- 2-3 Clove garlic crushed
- 1 pinch nutmeg Careful, nutmeg can be strong
- 1 pint cream cream, light, cream fraiche
- 1 fist cheddar cheese grated
- Peel and finely slice the potatoes, use a slicer, i find the skinnier the better. You can use any potato really, i have a thing for rooster potatoes so i use them. Layer these into an oven proof dish or flat foil oven proof container. sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper.
- In a small pot add your finely sliced onions, cream, garlic and nutmeg and stir. Sprinkle in a little bit of salt and pepper. Gently heat up the mixture, do not bring boil, you're just softening up the onions a bit. you can put in any cream really, if you're not bothered with calories creme fraiche is best.
- Pour your cream mixture over the layered potatoes. Mix them around a bit. Put into a preheated over at 200° celsius. After around 20 mins sprinkle your cheese on top. I find a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella is best, you get the cheddar taste and that stringy mozzarella texture. 20-25 later it's ready to go.