Welcome to a new weekly series that features a community submitted Dark Souls 3 build. Dark Souls 3 build crafting is one of the most enjoyable parts of the game and a big reason for its longevity. Who better to turn to when in need of a new idea than your fellow players? To have your build featured on the blog, you may submit your best setups on our forum thread and every week we will select one at random to be featured here. Feel free to discuss and debate the build’s strengths and weaknesses but as always be constructive with your fellow Dark Souls players. This week’s build, “The Duelist” comes from community member Rangrok and is a Dex focused build.
Dark Souls 3 Build of the Week: The Duelist
Keeping things simple, this is the standard Dex build. It’s very tempting and easy to try working crazy/gimmicky magic and weapons into your build, so this is meant as a counter-balance to that. Whether you are just starting Dark Souls or are an experienced vet, this build will work effectively in all situations.
Stats & Vitals
- Build Name: The Duelist
- Starting Class & Soul Level: Knight 80
- Focus: Both PvE and PvP
- Main Stats: Vigor, Endurance, Dexterity
- Vigor: 34 (+5 from Prisoner’s Chain: 39 total)
- Attunement: 10
- Endurance: 34 (+5 from Prisoner’s Chain: 39 total)
- Vitality: 15 (+5 from Prisoner’s Chain: 20 total)
- Strength: 16
- Dexterity: 35 (+5 from Hunter’s Ring: 40 total)
- Intelligence: 9
- Faith: 9
- Luck: 7
Weapons, Armor, Rings & Spells
- Right Hand: Sharp Crow Quills, Sharp Astora’s Greatsword (just about any dex weapon will work, depends heavily on preference).
- Left Hand: Blessed Buckler. Optional: Caestus (I prefer buckler for style), Sacred Bloom Shield (Really light shield with high magic resist and spell parry), Llewellyn Shield (A small shield that can take a hit), Black Bow of Pharis (Utility and ranged attack)
- Armor: Pharis’ Hat, Leonhard’s Garb, Black Iron Leggings, Black Iron Gauntlets
- Rings: Prisoner’s Chain, Chloranthy Ring (+3), Ring of Favor (+3), Hunter’s Ring (or Hornet Ring, but I find the ring kind of cheap and avoid using it in duels)
- Spells Attuned: Strictly personal preference if you substitute a catalyst as this build does not rely on magic usage.
Standard dex build for a NG cycle. It’s a good build to learn parries with, as the Crow Quills have an above-average crit modifier. However, as stated above, this build can run just about any dex weapon. With the Prisoner’s Chain and the Knight’s great starting Vit, you have plenty of wiggle room to wield whatever weapons you want. The 16 strength is just so you can one-hand Astora’s Greatsword, which is the lightest Ultra Greatsword (and works great with a Sharp infusion). Optionally, you can drop it down to 14 str (bump up Vig/End to an even 35), while still keeping the Hollowslayer Greatsword and Lothric Knight Long Spear open to you. Regardless what you pick, you should definitely have two different weapons: one short-range (ex: straight sword, katana, rapier), and one with good reach (ex: Ultra-greatsword, Greatsword, Spear). Sharp Sellsword Twinblades on this build will completely decimate bosses in a flash. So quickly that I often don’t bother with them because they kill the fun too quickly.
Simplicity is the key to this build. It’s meant to directly connect the player, to a weapon, to the enemy’s soft/squishy area. No fancy magic, no odd tricks, no funny exploits. Just a weak, mundane ashen one relying on speed and finesse to defeat fallen heroes, ancient royals, old warriors, traitors, and usurpers.
Thoughts on this Dark Souls 3 build? Get the discussion going in the comments. Have a Dark Souls 3 build that you think is grossly incandescent? Show us what you’ve got by submitting it in this thread!
Visit the Dark Souls 3 Wiki
More on Dark Souls 3