2K Games and Firaxis have kept the XCOM 2 gas pedal pressed this week with another reveal of the upcoming War of the Chosen DLC. They have detailed just what’s coming with the new expansion when it launches August 29th for the PS4, Xbox One and PC. In tandem, they’ve released a mission from the new expansion:
XCOM 2 War of the Chosen
In the mission video you get a narrative rundown of some of the new features you’ll be encountering during the new missions. Furthermore, in a detailed Playstation blog post, the developers laid out everything you need to know for the expansion. Here is the full list of everything revealed:
- New elite enemies are called the Chosen, elite hunters selected by the Elders to terrorize you over the course of your campaign.
- Three new playable classes: The Reapers, Skirmishers, and Templars – all with powerful and heroic abilities.
- Two new ADVENT units, the Purifier and Priest.
- A new alien, the Spectre.
- You’ll travel to new pockets of the world, like underground tunnels, xenoformed forests, and abandoned cities from the original XCOM: Enemy Unknown invasion.
- Within these cities, you’ll encounter an additional enemy type, the Lost. These husks of humanity are a tactical game changer, as they mindlessly flock towards XCOM in huge waves.
- A new Headshot Chain mechanic
- Soldier Bonds so that some squadmates can work better together over time. Daww.
- Photobooth mode, which allows you to “posterize” your favorite squads and missions with unique filters, backgrounds and whatever text you choose.
- New Challenge Mode, to compete against the world in one-time missions so you can see how well you do against other XCOM 2: War of the Chosen players.
Depending on the amount of mission content, this could make for quite the fun expansion by simple virtue of the new tactical options on the battlefield. In a game that so often feels like tactical chess, new pieces are always a good thing for freshness. The challenge modes in particular should give players a reason to check in regularly.
As always, keep checking in with us for much more.
Visit the XCOM 2 Wiki
More on XCOM 2