Happy New Year from Fextralife! This week’s edition of the Week in Wikis is a bit shorter than usual as many developers and publishers are on holiday break, resulting in much less news than usual. As such, the video edition will resume in the new year. But we’re still here with the print edition of the recap for the week as well as tidings for the new year!
- Speaking to 4Gamer, PlayStation Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida and Bloodborne Producers Teruyuki Toriyama and Masaaki Yamagiwa teased Sony’s software plans for the Playstation brand in 2017.
- Toriyama said that the Japan Studio is working on ambitious titles and ideas for new games simultaneously. Yamagiwa has been working behind the scenes after Bloodborne released and is hopeful that a project he is working on will come in 2017. Neither gave any specific indication that their projects are another Bloodborne game.
- We do know that From Software is working on new projects as well, with a new IP and a project that will please Souls fans in the works. Whether those are related to these projects remains to be seen. Let the speculation commence!
The Elder Scrolls Online
- Zenimax Online has given players a sneak peak for what’s coming in the upcoming Update 13 for the Elder Scrolls Online. The list is not exhaustive, as it doesn’t include any of the class balance changes, and instead addresses some of the most commonly discussed topics in the community. See the update preview for a peak at some of the upcoming changes!
- Full patch notes for the February update are forthcoming once they are finalized. We do know that one big new feature is the implementation of Player Housing that will allow for social gathering and ample decoration.
- Square Enix and Platinum Games hosted their second official livestream for Nier: Automata this week, and went over some of the mechanics the game will feature.
- The stream begins with a playthrough of the now released PS4 demo of the game, which follows one of the playable characters, 2B, as she makes her way through an abandoned factory, dispatching enemies until her encounter with the demo’s Goliath boss with a little help from her colleague, 9S.
- Afterwards, they dig into some of the specific mechanics of the game, such as quests, a run through of the Plug-in Chips system, and some gameplay of the collaboration weapons, the Engine Blade from Final Fantasy XV and the Cypress Stick from Dragon Quest.
The 2016 Fexy Awards & Our Most Anticipated Games of 2017
- We handed out some awards this week for our best games of 2016 and our most anticipated games of 2017!
- Mass Effect Andromeda is our most anticipated game of the coming year and will jettison console and PC players 600 years into the future, all the way to the distant Andromeda Galaxy as Humans, Turians, Asari and Salarians unite to search for a new home for the species of the Milky Way. The game will feature brand new worlds and races, a new ship, the Tempest, new weapons and powers and the removal of classes. We’ll also meet a brand new cast of characters to get to know. All of this newness combines to create a feeling of anticipation for a series we’ve been invested in for a decade!
- Dark Souls 3 was our game of the year and was the homage to the series and fans that many were hoping for. From its gameplay, to it’s incredible level design and cinematic boss battles the game delivered on a lot that fans have come to know the series for. The game also moved the series in new directions with a dynamic multiplayer and a refined upgrade system that blended elements of past games. The series’ overarching story came to a close in typical cryptic fashion, but there was plenty of payoff to give fans closure.
- Be sure to check out the the Fexy Awards and Most Anticipated Games for a full list of every game that got a nod from us!
Holiday Game Nights
- Thanks to everyone who participated in our Holiday Game Nights! Our final session was last Thursday, and we scribbled our way through Drawful 2. We laughed to the point of tears drawing, guessing and voting on the wacky creations!
That’s a wrap for the Week in Wikis, we’re looking forward to another great year of gaming fun! Don’t forget to check out our VIP program for some exclusive supporter benefits, and budding writers should take advantage of our Become an Author initiative! Thanks for a great year and as always, keep checking in with us for news, reviews, YouTube streams and vids, and general wiki goodness! We hope you and yours have a safe and happy New Year! All the best for 2017!
Follow us on social media for all the latest and greatest. The more followers we get, the larger the army of the Fexus grows: