Simple and delicious red sauce: This recipe can be made in advance, the flavours settle and deepen with rest.
Red Wine Pasta Sauce
By August 26, 2013Published:
- Yield: 6 (06 Servings)
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 45 mins
- 1 pound Sausage Meat (not flavored)
- 0.5 pound Mushrooms Sliced
- 1 whole onion Chopped
- 0.5 cup Red Wine
- 0.5 cup Tomato Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Oregano Fresh, Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 3 cloves Garlic Crushed
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Butter
- Place olive oil on a large pan over medium high heat. Add garlic and bay leaves and fry until fragant
- Add onions and sautee until they begin to soften, then add and brown sausage meat, slowly mixing it with the onions.
- Optional: On a secondary pan, melt butter and sauttee mushrooms without cooking them through. (this step can be skipped)
- Once meat is cooked, add the mushrooms and oregano, thyme and paprika and mix well.
- Add the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. You may increase quantities if you desire a different consistency.
- Create a point of heat in the center of the pan by creating a hole without meat. Add the wine to that area and turn up heat so alcohol evaporates. As it boils, mix wine into the rest of the sauce, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.