Discuss all and any games, devices and platforms!
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 56.04
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 459
The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

We review Sundered, the newly released game from Thunder Lotus Games that is one of the latest entries into the beloved Metroidvania style.

Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon
VIP

Emergence

Sovereign
Jovian

Souls: 145,557.00
Wiki Edits: 25927
Awesome review Skare. I'm sold.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

ckmishn

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 772.00
Wiki Edits: 6
I've seen 5 different reviews of this game and this one is by far the most....generous. Everyone has praised the beautiful artwork and animation, but every other review has also criticized the random map generation, the lack of variety of enemies and areas, the simplified "Dynasty Warriors" style AI and mass creature spawning, the lack of meaningful consequences for death and a character progression system that's opaque and focuses of modest stat upgrades vs meaningful combat abilities.

Still, it does seem like there are some reviewers who agree with you (by looking at the scores on Metacritic, I haven't read their reviews).
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 56.04
Wiki Edits: 459
Well, to be fair, I've been playing Souls forever, so the lack of consequence for dying (and frequency) I'm pretty used to.

For the other elements:
-Random maps I can take or leave. It adds tension not knowing a precise path but I wouldn't blink if it wasn't in the game
-I'm not sure what kind of AI others expect but I felt that the hordes did pretty well. Each enemy has a distinct behavior and I thought acted accordingly. Masses of enemies are often like a flock of birds which is fitting based on the setting
-The biggest issue I had was that the hordes get absurd and to the point where strategy goes out the window. Chaos I can enjoy, but living long enough will take it to insane heights. It's a lot like Dust or Muramasa: Rebirth for enemies
-I'd disagree vehemently about the progression system. There's seven main upgrades for Eshe, most of which grant a new ability. All seven can be corrupted to make stronger versions. Or, you can resist corruption which then opens up seven different character enhancements. That's a ton of variety. The rest of the tree supports these quite well, allowing you to level up your preferred style. Every single choice has a clear explanation of impact to Eshe. There is a ton of small incremental upgrades, but levels are easy to gain. Character progression is far and away more robust than most Metroidvanias which might throw many off, but is something I feel this community in particular would appreciate.

Lich180

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 9,060.00
Honestly, your review makes me wanna drop 20$ on it and have a good time.

I think most reviewers are just ridiculous and not attuned to nuance as well as us Souls vets are.
VIP

Castielle

The Hand
The Hand of God

Masochist

Souls: 206,306.02
Wiki Edits: 37942
must admit i went to check it out on Steam today because of the review.

Cas
Shop IconShop IconShop Icon