Discuss all and any games, devices and platforms!
VIP

Castielle

The Hand
The Hand of God

Masochist

Souls: 216,181.02
Wiki Edits: 39691
The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

As many of you have no doubt heard, Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls now has a new class: Necromancer, along with a few other interesting, but not overwhelming content updates in conjunction with the Rise of the Necromancer expansion on PS4, Xbox One and PC. Blizzard was gracious enough to send us a code so we could check out the new improvements, and see how the Necromancer played vs. the other Diablo 3 classes as well as vs. the Diablo 2 Necromancer which I have so fond memories of. Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls Necromancer Gameplay Impressions It didn't take long to ...
Shop IconShop IconShop Icon
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Souls: 42,974.50
Wiki Edits: 561
Sorry Cas, gotta correct you on a couple things.

1) None of the WD's summon skills cost mana

2) The Necro's thorns-boosting passive doesn't affect his own thorns total, it affects his minions' thorns total

Beyond that, I've so far gotten every set and nearly all of the legendary items for the class, and I can say they change up the Necro's gameplay by a goodly amount. For instance, the Pestilent set has one ability that makes any corpses you use auto-cast Corpse Lance on top of whatever else you used them for, a legendary shoulder piece boosts the damage of your Corpse Lance skill by 30% for 3 seconds for each corpse you use for anything (stacking up to 20 times), and a legendary amulet keeps track of the number of corpses you use while Land of the Dead is active then adds up to a +200% damage bonus to that many Corpse Lance and Corpse Explosion uses afterwards. What you do here is have Devouring Aura active since it auto-consumes all corpses in your vicinity, then the Pestilence set bonus turns all those corpses into Corpse Lances, then you turn on Land of the Dead which gives you infinite corpses which makes Devouring Aura activate something like 10 times per second which Pestilence turns into 10 Corpse Lances per second, then the legendary shoulders will rack up +600% damage within 2 seconds (it gets kind of hard to see your enemies from under all the Lances flying around), and after Land of the Dead ends your screen will probably be covered in corpses which means your Devouring Aura will still be popping off Corpse Lances for a few seconds afterwards, and the amulet will have kept track of how many Lances you fired off during LotD (it'll average about 90-100) and you'll get another +200% damage bonus on that many Corpse Lances afterwards, meaning you're actually doing more damage than you were when you had infinite corpses. It's also worth noting that none of this requires actually pushing buttons beyond activating LotD, so you can use other skills in the meantime for even more damage. Oh, and on top of that the Pestilence set has another ability where it'll keep track of how many corpses you used and add a +3,000% damage bonus to that many casts of Bone Spear afterwards, so making more corpses is really easy.

There are three other armor sets (one for melee builds, one for minion masters, and one for life-costing skills), one weapon set (makes your Command Skeletons skill badass) and a heaping pile of legendaries (not even going to get into all of what they do) that do stuff like this, and thanks to the whole "swap around skills at will" thing it's possible to switch between several different playstyles with one trip to town and three button presses in the auto-equipper locker thingy. Personally, I'm not completely convinced $15 for just the class was worth it, but I won't deny there's a whole lot of gameplay in it.
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 260,584.49
Bank: 7,492.71
Wiki Edits: 19638
Well if we're being a bit like that...

1) Cas has been playing a Witch Doctor since PC launch, and we played the game to full completion on PC, PS3 and PS4. I'm assuming your definition of summon and his are not the same. Here are summoning skills that use mana for WD

* Fire Bats costs 125 mana (the skill specifically says SUMMONS bats)
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/witch ... e/firebats

* Zombie Charger costs 150 mana
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/witch ... ie-charger

* Locust Swarm costs 300 mana
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/witch ... cust-swarm

* Piranha costs 250 mana
https://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/witch ... e/piranhas

2) "The Necromancer also, like the Barbarian/Cursader, can increase his Thorns damage by a wickedly high percentage (200%) with a passive ability and also buff his defense with Bone Armor making for a tanky variation of this class to be played."

>> The damage of your minions is your damage, increases your minions Thorns is by definition increasing your damage.

Had to ;)
Fextralife.com
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

I suppose, though the game defines those as "creature spells" rather than summons and they're awfully short lived compared to proper summons. They're basically spells in practice.

I would argue, then, that if he's directing attacks away from himself and to his minions, then he's playing the role of a minion master rather than a tank, and in that case it still wouldn't count.

No worries, it's all in good fun. I suppose I should probably make a post about all the Necro's items and how they affect gameplay, since I still can't find a good source for that info anywhere else.
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

You can be a tanky minion master! :P

Also, I'd love to see a detailed post about the necro items. Set it up for the blog we'll dress it up!
Fextralife.com
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Fexelea wrote:You can be a tanky minion master! :P

Also, I'd love to see a detailed post about the necro items. Set it up for the blog we'll dress it up!

Righty-o. I can't promise it'll be a complete list since I'm not 100% sure I have everything (I'm actually pretty sure I don't have everything), but I think I have the important stuff. It'd have to be the sort of blog that can be edited/updated after posting, though, since I will likely come across several important items not ten minutes after submitting it.

Sidney_Losstarot

Souls: 18,784.50
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 2140
From my experience the Necro is one of the best class in the game....
The damage i've reached with the Necro is impressive, i've dealt a maximum of 8 Billions damage per hit with a critical and the normal damage is between 500 millions and 1.5 Billions
I'm using the Inarius Build, but i'm not following the builds on line, i don't like to copy/paste builds done by other players....
Anyway, i still don't have all the gears i'd like to so i'm farming in the Rift each day, hoping to get a decent weapon (Ancient maybe.....) because i'm still using a Reaper wich is not part of this build but it's Ancients and it gives me impressive stats.....

Lich180

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 9,214.00
Got this expansion last night (trying to keep my mind busy), and the necromancer is the most fun class I've played yet. I usually get bored holding down buttons and rarely shifting to another button, and I've even fallen asleep playing my barbarian.

The necromancer, though... Wow. There's constantly stuff going on, corpses flying around, summons running amok, corpse lances flying around, stuff dying. I played through Act 1 last night, got to level 40 I think, and barely noticed 6 hours go by.
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Lich180 wrote:Got this expansion last night (trying to keep my mind busy), and the necromancer is the most fun class I've played yet. I usually get bored holding down buttons and rarely shifting to another button, and I've even fallen asleep playing my barbarian.

The necromancer, though... Wow. There's constantly stuff going on, corpses flying around, summons running amok, corpse lances flying around, stuff dying. I played through Act 1 last night, got to level 40 I think, and barely noticed 6 hours go by.

Yeah, the Barbarian is kinda legendary for how boring its playstyle is. The best barbs only need to re-apply their buffs and hold the attack button, and nothing else.
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

I am enjoying the Necromancer but it doesn't quite compare to my Warlock - those meteor chains are just too amazing.
Fextralife.com