Discuss all and any games, devices and platforms!
VIP

Emergence

Sovereign
Jovian

Souls: 145,395.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 25924
The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

The Metroidvania genre of gaming is making a comeback. This 2D adventure genre (sometimes within an RPG framework) was made popular by the obviously named Metroid and Castlevania series of games of old, which featured a sprawling world that would gradually unlock the further you progressed. Along the way, as you explored the side scrolling nooks and crannies you would encounter challenging enemies, traps and platforming sections. Successfully defeating foes and exploring would earn you special items, abilities and keys that you used to unlock doors and shortcuts that opened the map up further. The stories of the games were ...
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

theotherMittens

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 6,146.00
I think it's a bit older than the games you mentioned, but I feel like Guacamelee deserves a shoutout as an excellent recent Metroidvania game.
VIP

Emergence

Sovereign
Jovian

I definitely love that game and had it in mind but it's a bit too old to consider it part of the resurgence. I had it lumped in with Cave Story as those radar blips.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Lich180

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 8,686.00
Guacamelee was a PSN free game last year I think, and I have to say, it's a really good game. Pays loving homage to Metroid and Castlevania, and is fun to play.

Salt and Sanctuary was the first game I stayed up for release of since Skyrim. It's another great game, well worth what they charge.

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 11,038.00
Wiki Edits: 3
Also enjoyed Guacamelee. Great gameplay with strong Mexican cultural themes that make for an exotic and colorful game world. Story was pretty generic (become hero, fight the evil monster, save the princess), but I think the gameplay more than makes up for it, and while the story wasn't that great, the writing for character interactions was quite funny.

Also, Hollow Knight is making waves as a fantastic Metroidvania game, with solid.....everything. I plan on getting it soon.
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.

Lich180

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 8,686.00
The statues you get power ups from are aztec mixed with Chozo (Metroid) statues, and I love it.
VIP

Emergence

Sovereign
Jovian

Also, not really a Metroidvania, but Outland is free on Steam for a day right now. Another platformer that I absolutely love.

Can you tell I love 2D gaming?
This site is a bonfire. Thank you all for kindling it. "No rest for the wikid."- the eldritch wisdom of Skarekrow13

Forum Guidelines / Wiki Hub / Fextralife Blog / Write for the Blog / Join VIP

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 11,038.00
Wiki Edits: 3
Emergence wrote:Also, not really a Metroidvania, but Outland is free on Steam for a day right now. Another platformer that I absolutely love.

Can you tell I love 2D gaming?

Already got it. I played the demo a long time ago, but never got to buying it. It has a system similar to Guacamelee where you have to switch between two states to dodge attacks and obstacles while attacking enemies.
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.