Discuss the latest Dark Souls Title!

Fav_fish

Souls: 129.00
I've put together a quality build with a little buff and weapon diversity in it:

SL 120

Starting Class: Knight

Vig: 35
Att: 10
End: 35
Vit: 15
Str: 40
Dex: 42
Int: 9
Fai: 16
Luc: 7

Armor: Whatever doesn't force you to fatroll and looks good! Of course you can optimize it statwise - but you'll probably look weird! :)

Weapons:
Main Hand:
- Astora UGS +10 sharp (scales better with dex then strength and AR is higher sharpinfused then refined)
- Lothric Knight Sword +10 refined

Offhand:
- Ceastus (for parrying obviously)
- Sunlight straight sword (for the WA)
- Clerics sacred Chime (for blessed weapon buff)

Spells:
- Blessed weapon

Rings:
- Prisoners Chain
- Chloranthy Ring +3
- Ring of Favor +3
- Leo Ring

Pretty straight forward Ring selection - that sunlight straight sword WA works against prisoners Chains negativ ability is pretty nice.

So basically the point of this build is to push a usual quality build with low effort and points invested a bit further.
Imo it's a very good build for beginners wich can put out a ton of damage.

I just wanted to throw it out there - because there are still people who are starting new and I think it's a fun way to start.

I'm open for any advice or suggestions - just throw them out there. Flame sucks - Feedback is always nice!

Have fun guys!

Agurzil

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 300.00
Bank: 13,567.00
Wiki Edits: 710
With those weapons I'd ditch the strength stats and go to the minimum required to wield all weapons. I assume that would mean the Astora UGS. Both the lothric knight sword (not the UGS right?) and the Astora GS are great dex weapons, infuse both of them with sharp and invest the spare points in other areas. 60 Dex for more raw damage, more Vig/End/Atn or whatever you feel is holding you back when playing like this.
Man takes up the sword to protect the small injuries that burdened his heart, on a distant day beyond his memories.
Man wields the sword to die with a smile on his face, on a distant day beyond his dreams.

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 20,259.50
Wiki Edits: 18
@Agurzil speaks the truth: you are doing a quality build with dex/sharp weapons...
with those stats, use the profaned greatsword: 630 unbuffed AR vs your 568 AR on the astora GS. this is not even worth it for an ultra....this is close to what you get with a normal greatsword: 561 with the black knight GS with perseverance in WA with those stats....526 with the claymore.

the only problem with what Agurzil proposes, is that dexterity investment between 40 and 60 is not optimal except for the chaos blade. All sharp weapons are scaling badly between 40 and 60 dex to raise back to nice scaling up to 83.
SO you are better off with a build that sticks to 40 dexterity to reach the first rentable softcap and invest in more faith to get real buffs or in luck or in vitality...or you stick to quality but use proper quality weapons like black knight weapons, farron greatsword etc
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you once, but then I got a [dark souls] in the knee.
so...
A hoonter must hoont!

Fav_fish

First off, thanks for the advice guys!

So basically what ur saying is:
If I wanna keep the quality build I should swap the astora for profaned f.e.?
The points in faith are useless then and I invest them into sth else?
Is the lothric knight sword then a good choice for me aswell or should I swap that aswell.
I could also put a black knight shield in for the chime or the sunlight blade right?

Next off, of I choose to go the faith route - instead of strengt:
Do I just run 40 faith instead of strength and put a sharp infusion on the LKS?
Or should I change up the other stats aswell.
Just wanna point out that I don't wanna deal with too many spells - I think the controls of spells are pretty lackluster in ds.
I like the Idea of buffing up but not too much more.
Wouldn't be nice If you could give me an Idea of a possible setup.
Also with rings etc.

It should work in PVP and PVE aswell :)

Thanks a ton guys!

Fav_fish

Just some adds:

- I also like to play with an Ultra Great sword (no, I don't wanna go full on strength build)

- I always have the problem with faith builds that I run low on points - when I wanna play the buffy version where I need good endurance have high vigor and need some points in att for a second slot(if I wanna use my rings differently).
And I need to put a lot of points in faith, cause it's scaling really good in higher regions isn't it.

Im playing around with the monkey but no build seems to fit perfectly even if I'm running SL125.

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 20,259.50
Wiki Edits: 18
mmmhhh....yes, faith investment is good only if you get up to 30ish or if you get a physical stat real high and put blessed weapon on it.

if you like buffs and faith, I would strongly recommend you try something like this:

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/240894

str 24
dex 40
faith 30
att 14

use the lothric knight greatsword....sharp: 669 AR
buff it with lightning blade and boom over 800 AR.... quite frankly this is almost cheating...it is that good. the initial lightning damage (170 i believe) is ok but not great. but once buffed, it tears through anything. Note you can still use resins and bundles if out of the buff.

or if you wanna stick to low faith and high dex, use the astora GS at 16 str and 60+ dex and put blessed weapon on it....boom 640-650 AR buffed, pure physical.

use some fast weapon like sellsword twin blades or a straight sword to complement it...you're set.
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you once, but then I got a [dark souls] in the knee.
so...
A hoonter must hoont!

Fav_fish

So u say the best to buff sword for that build is the LKGS? I'll go try it - I love the LKSS it feels really good IMO.

And just a question for understanding matters since I wouldn't consider myself a Vet even though I played everything but demon souls. What do you mean by lightning initial damage? And, isn't 30 faith a bit low since the buff scales with ur faith lvl doesn't it?
Don't blame me for dumb questions - I just don't know it better :D

Fav_fish

Oh okay I just checked - it has natural lightning dmg :) read first - ask later...

You know a good point to farm it?

Fav_fish

Btw. Is it worth farming Dark moon Blade? Better for pvp isn't it?

Fav_fish

Is the lingering dragoncrest ring worth?