Discuss the latest Dark Souls Title!

Ayelox

Souls: 72.00
Hey Guys,
I'm in my first run of DS3, and i am stuck at the dancer. My character is pure dex and i run the Farron Greatsword at the moment, just because i like its style, although i use a shield normally. The problem is my armor, which is in fact still the Dark armor set, from Farron Keep. The appearance reminds me of an armor i used in DS1 a lot and i just stopped searching for better armor :no see:
I am pretty sure i went through every accessable location at this point, so no new armor sets to discover for me, but i kept some which felt like dex.
I hope some DS3 veterans here are going to let me partake in their wisdom and teach me in the fine art of finding good armor.
Farewell, ashen one :00004:

plasmafogking

Casual
Convict

Souls: 532.00
Ayelox wrote:Hey Guys,
I'm in my first run of DS3, and i am stuck at the dancer. My character is pure dex and i run the Farron Greatsword at the moment

That's your first mistake. It is pretty weak weapon. It is flashy and anime-like, but you would be better off with pretty much any other weapon. It consumes lots of stamina for low damage and often cause you to get into animation you can't escape. Normal weapons have decent swing time, however, Farron Greatsword have much longer attack animation and will most likely cause majority of your deaths.

Uchigatana infused with blood melts dancer like nothing. If you have it, i would recommend using it.

Ayelox wrote: just because i like its style

You should never use weapon based on "style". Armors are for style, weapons are for usefulness, unless you don't care about dying over and over again.

Ayelox wrote: I hope some DS3 veterans here are going to let me partake in their wisdom and teach me in the fine art of finding good armor.

IF you have vitality for it (and don't care about killing a npc), i would suggest:
Executioner Set; Exile Armor Set - these two looks like they have the best defenses combination to fight against the dancer. Also, overall, they are the best armor until you get into the late game.

( P.S. Havel Knight - his set is the best there is considering only defense, but it weight a ton, but you can get it right now as well if you don't mind spending few hours trying to get it).

Nunkuruji

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 6,694.50
The Farron Greatsword is fine.
It has excellent dex scaling. It has low strength scaling.
It is most efficiently used at 18 strength, 40 dexterity.
It gains no 1.5x multiplier for strength when "two handed", thus also why I only recommend the base required strength.

Going the dex route also enables bows to be strong, which TBH, is one of the strongest weapons for a first and cautious play through.

Level your Vigor to 39

You should simply try and wear armor that will grant you the highest absorption while remaining under 70% equip load.
Early game efficient weight/absorption pieces include
Sellsword Armor (chest)
Cathedral Knight Armor (chest)
Northern Trousers, the various knight leggings

This can be helpful for optimization
https://3dots.github.io/ds3optimizer/#/optimizer

For a first run, I'd also suggest wearing high survivability rings
Blue Tearstone
Life Ring
Favor and Protection
Steel Protection

Bleed weapons are in fact useful for killing numerous bosses, but requires aggressive play.
I can see it in your eyes. If you didn't invade, didn't pillage, whatever would you do?
Phantom Build Guide Doc (non meta SL) (Thread)

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 20,038.50
Wiki Edits: 18
armor does not really matter too much in this game: as long as you wear a piece of armor on every slot, you are set...
of course, absorption varies and the higher the better but in the end, absorption makes a difference only on big chunks of damage whereas stats directly influence a damage mitigation that is especially important on smaller chunks of damage.
in the end, I do not believe armor is the key to damage mitigation. The big shield or the proper roll timing is doing it much more consistently.
of course if you sink 40 points into vitality to wear super heavy armors, you take significantly less damage but at a price...

Now, armor really matters for the minimum level of poise to reach in order to use the hyperarmor frames of your weapon of choice to the maximum effect. So in the end, I always look at three factors to come up with an armor set up in DS3:
1) remain under 70% equip load (69.9 is just fine ^_^)
2) equip pieces according to poise value (typically 23 for ultraGS, 33 for CGS in order to poise through a 2HR1 of a greatsword while 2handing your weapon yourself for example) and personal taste (fashion)
3) raise vitality to satisfy 1)

this is it.
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you once, but then I got a [dark souls] in the knee.
so...
A hoonter must hoont!

Ayelox

Souls: 72.00
plasmafogking wrote:Uchigatana infused with blood melts dancer like nothing. If you have it, i would recommend using it.

thx for that one, uchigatana does great against the dancer.
I didn't level vitality until now, so im stuck with light armors, the suggested wont work now, for uchigatana with shield i switched to the undead legion set. A good feeling to wield a shield again.

I guess my rings do what they should. I don't see, why I should take these slots for more life or higher defense on a dex character. But in fact i run one ring for max HP, also one which boosts rolling invincibility, i am not sure about the other two.

Toshin

Souls: 224.00
If you're still running pure DEX, I strongly recommend the Sharp Astora Greatsword. It's the lightest Ultra Greatsword and it's got an S scaling with DEX, it should easily get you through the game.

LE: I also suggest not using the roll ring unless you have 20+ absorption rating even with it. If you don't roll perfectly, you're gonna get hit for a lot with that ring.

Leo Ring goes really well with Astora Greatsword (and even with Katanas if you roll attack).
You can pair that with Ring of Favor and Havel's if you need more vitality for the Astora Greatsword.
"[...] Think for yourselves, don't be sheep."
―Rick Sanchez

BobTheHollow

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,415.50
Wiki Edits: 1
I am a firm believer of fashion souls. I swear you can beat the game with any armor/weapon set. Just pick whatever feels right for you and be happy. ^^b
youTube.com/BobTheHollow - DkS3 Lore, PvP and Music Videos

Jet1337

Regular
Battle Tested

Souls: 520.00
Wiki Edits: 6
You're kinda screwing yourself by being pure Dex. If I were you, I'd start over and invest evenly in strength and dexterity.

announakis

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 20,038.50
Wiki Edits: 18
Jet1337 wrote:You're kinda screwing yourself by being pure Dex. If I were you, I'd start over and invest evenly in strength and dexterity.

mate, dexterity builds are excellent, especially versus bleed sensitive bosses like the dancer since you also have access to innate bleed weapons.
while the weapon you use matters versus the dancer, the armor does not:
just get rid of your armor entirely tbh, get under 30%, equip a bleed weapon (I personally love the bandit knife but warden twinblades) put some carthus rouge on it and go to town.
equip also kukris to maintain your bleed when you escape and just solo this dancer like a man!

dark damage also works well but bleed is incredibly good versus the dancer:

https://youtu.be/IOegdXb4Gio
my YouTube channel
I used to be an [eclectic gamer] like you once, but then I got a [dark souls] in the knee.
so...
A hoonter must hoont!

Rizen

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,789.00
Bleed is fantastic vs any enemy weak to it. Even as a pyromancer I use Dorhy's Gnawing over other spells vs bleed weak bosses and monstrosities of sin (hand monsters).
Disposition shift has its benefits. If you can't hit play cause the button sticks, ignorance is bliss I can't say. There's a compass raised with familiar tone, a voice that needles you to the bone. You're left with chaos, static and delay.
-REM