Discuss the latest Dark Souls Title!

Rizen

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,867.00
Dodging's better but shields are a good safeguard for bad timing.
Disposition shift has its benefits. If you can't hit play cause the button sticks, ignorance is bliss I can't say. There's a compass raised with familiar tone, a voice that needles you to the bone. You're left with chaos, static and delay.
-REM

ElvesRule

Lifetime Subscriber
Souls: 7,093.00
I think Freide is easy compared to the second DLC main boss. In 25 attempts as a phantom, I've never survived to see the end, although I have been last person standing a couple times. There must be a trick I haven't figured out.
Try Dorhy's Gnawing. Both she and Big Daddy are weak to it.

Rizen

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,867.00
ElvesRule wrote:I think Freide is easy compared to the second DLC main boss. In 25 attempts as a phantom, I've never survived to see the end, although I have been last person standing a couple times. There must be a trick I haven't figured out.

IMO it depends on what weapons you use. Freide has no poise and heavy weapons with hyper armor work well in that fight. Bleed is very useful.

Gael out-poises you but is slow. Reactive weapons like rapiers and daggers from behind a dark warding shield are very effective as they can poke and shield/roll before his attacks take effect. I've soloed Gael with a poison ghru dagger and Irythill rapier. Gael is poisoned in about 5 hits then takes 2000+ damage. Meanwhile you poke at his stamina with frost. Knowing when to roll and delaying rolls between his combo hits rather than spamming helps.

The fights are opposites in a weird way.
Disposition shift has its benefits. If you can't hit play cause the button sticks, ignorance is bliss I can't say. There's a compass raised with familiar tone, a voice that needles you to the bone. You're left with chaos, static and delay.
-REM

buzmavisi

Casual
Convict

Souls: 479.00
PyroMage wrote:I'm far from an expert but I've played through most of the main game, defeating all bosses apart from two so far I think. Also beat all bosses in DS1 (inc DLC) and Bloodborne (not the DLC). The most I've taken to beat any boss up to now is maybe 100 attempts.

But Sister Friede is different. It's probably about two months now since I first encountered her. Beating her has now kind of become an obsession. I will not perform any other action in a video game until I've defeated her.

But it seems impossible. The best bosses should of course seem impossible on the first couple of tries, but I'm starting to think this one may actually be, at least for my skill level.

Phase 1 and 2 are annoying, but I've got them down. I still die there when I make mistakes, but I can get to Blackflame Friede with reasonable regularity. It's just annoying to have to get past those two phases. Every. Single. Time..!

But Blackflame just destroys me. I'm thinking I may have spread my points too thinly. I tend to over-level, so already at 100+. Playing as a mage, only using GH soul arrow and Moonlight Greatsword against Friede. I have 40-something Intelligence, enough Vigor to give me around 1000 HP (one or two rings helping there), some strength, some dexterity. Sword doing about 300 damage per hit. Soul arrows slightly less I think. Stats high enough to use a very high stability shield - can't remember which one but stability is 80+.

I've read up on strategies. They're not working for me - or I've not got the right equipment. Some say to dodge - I dodge a couple, then she hits me. Some say to keep away from her. See above.

And that neck-slice attack, or whatever it is. If she gets me with that and I have full health, I'm left with a sliver. She just has to get in one more hit before I manage to drink, which she nearly always does.

This isn't quite how I imagine hell to be, but maybe purgatory...

I agree with others, you are too stressed to win against her. You should watch some "no damage" videos in the internet, they are extremely helpful. Her moveset become too predictable after a while. I recently killed her with only three hits.

And try not use a shield, but if you want to use a shield try a high stability shield with high dark defence. Upgrade the shield get more stability.

She is weak against lightning, bleed. Do not try to use dark damage on her.

Poutsos

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 3,316.00
Well her own weapon, the scythe stunlocks her infinitely. If you land one R1 you can stunlock her until your stamina is drained. Don't know if that's the case with all the scythes.

zgillet

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 496.50
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 9
Fight her tomorrow morning... guaranteed win.

Byrgenwerth... Byrgenwerth...
Blasphemous murderers... Blood-crazed fiends.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

seadrag0n

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,009.00
Wiki Edits: 1
I defeated Freeda yesterday on my first try on NG...had a +5 black knight GS and 40 DEX/STR...two handing this weapon staggers Freeda big time and does a lot fo DMG...in the second phase ignored Freeda completely and went after Ariandel who was taking even more dmg....but I was not so lucky with Ringed City DLC bosses...man they are tough....

ElvesRule

Lifetime Subscriber
Souls: 7,093.00
Yeah, I was talking about the dragon, not Gael. I don't want to kill the nice lady and ruin the world.

Toxic mist works but only if you can keep a dragon from moving. After 50 tries in co-op, I've seen one host win. My toxic really did the most damage but I credit the other players for somehow keeping the dragon from constantly evading my toxin and killing me with fire, light or a tail swipe.

I always suck at flying enemies: all dragons, Nameless King, the Paralysis Beotch and the whistling guy with shotgun in Nioh. I think it's because target lock breaks and my eye/hand co-ord sucks at re-acquiring target fast enough. I figured out the trick in Nioh, but Souls' dragons always have my number.

TheManWhoLaughs

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,507.50
ElvesRule wrote:Yeah, I was talking about the dragon, not Gael. I don't want to kill the nice lady and ruin the world.

Toxic mist works but only if you can keep a dragon from moving. After 50 tries in co-op, I've seen one host win. My toxic really did the most damage but I credit the other players for somehow keeping the dragon from constantly evading my toxin and killing me with fire, light or a tail swipe.

More or less the same experience. I can't tell you how many times I've been summoned to help fight Midir. Host death is almost always certain. I have witnessed a small amount of wins (maybe three as a random summon). The times we've won or got really close came down to either me and the host playing tag with hit-and-aggro tactics or when I was part of a larger group of summons where one or more person was using Pestilent Mercury. I prefer using one of the abyss slaying swords myself.

Speaking of Toxic Mist, I have been summoned a lot lately to fights against Gael where I've seen hosts and other phantoms using this effectively on him.