Discuss the latest Dark Souls Title!

Rizen

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,647.00
I've been trying out different covenants and invading often sucks. Actually invasions wouldn't be bad if you could keep your souls when you die. I had a few fun invasions where I fought a host 1 on 1 but 90% of the time I got ganked by 3-5 guys. I know invaders are annoying to the host's game but it still sucks. There are a few areas where invaders have a chance like the ringed city wall area because the Harold Knights. Most places a gank can easily take out the mobs. It's more a gank problem than invading it's self but losing your souls every time makes you not want to come back for more abuse. I tried equipping to nuke the group before they reached me but even with great swamp ring, witch's ring, fire clutch ring, 40 int/fth and a +10 pyro flame my chaos bed vestiges only did a little less than half the health of well armored knights. As a sunlight warrior you're "paid" to help other players with no risk, if you're un-embered.

Furthermore it pays to be a d***. There was one invasion where I was above a ladder in the Corvian settlement and the host had to come that way. I decided I could waste both of our time staking the spot out or just go down and fight 1 on 1 so I did. I'd rather just play undead matches than go through the hassle of invading.

I'm disappointed mad spirits can't kill enemies. It would be fun to invade and kill everything as a chaotic evil. The red spirits already have the role of obstructing the host. On the plus side I got a close look at the cute crystal lizards.
Disposition shift has its benefits. If you can't hit play cause the button sticks, ignorance is bliss I can't say. There's a compass raised with familiar tone, a voice that needles you to the bone. You're left with chaos, static and delay.
-REM

Nahztek-Shadowpath

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 5,723.50
Best way to keep Souls is to clear a level before you invade it. That way you can safely and quickly regain them.
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Souls: 42,087.50
Wiki Edits: 559
I've said it before in other threads, but summoning vs invading is too unbalanced and has been since Demon's Souls. Consider: every area and its enemy encounters are balanced to be a fair challenge for one host player. One summon throws that out of balance, tilting the scale in the host's favor. An invader equalizes it again, being a fair match against the one summon (same reduced health, same estus penalty). The problem is that the host can always summon one more ally than there can be invaders, which permanently tilts the scale to the host's side of the equation. This is before the host fully clears out a level, of course, in which case even the host alone has the advantage against any single invader.

ErebusGaming

Souls: 152.00
ALRIGHT FOLKS, THIS IS GONNA BE A LONG ONE SO HOLD ONTO YOUR BUTTSImage

So you're invading and expecting it to be a fair fight? You do realize this is dark souls right, and that this forum is for dark souls right?

You're also expect a fair and balanced system from FromSoft when it hasn't been balanced ever, not even back in demon souls.

I've seen a few of your posts already on here and can honestly say this in full confidence....

Like, I'm not sure what you thought this game was suppose to be like and that everyone was going to play by your ingrained rule set, but that is just not the case.
Here is a simple enough fix for your problems, tired of getting ganked? Then, either learn to fight multiple players that are willing to chug estus on you until they run out or don't invade. It is quite simple I assure you. I have friends in this game that simply do not invade, they would rather stack the odds in their favor with a 3 man squad against one lone invader rather than be ganked themselves.

Or, you can go my route...

This game and its finite strategies that exist are not hard to comprehend and they are not hard to execute. Most of this game is simply, counter-play and hand-eye coordination/timing. If you can master these very simple things then guess what, you too can Gank Spank.

Also, you're "nuke" builds do not fit the current "winning meta". You could pull a win here or there out of your butt, but in reality any idiot with 40-50 dex or strength is just going to destroy you. This isn't because you could be bad, it's just that maybe 8-9 total miracles, spell, and pyromancies are actually worth using and they are either weapon buffs or flashy distraction spells meant for a setup with a combo. To be honest the only spells/miracles I use are tears of denial, dark weapon, lightning blade, darkmoon blade, even these aren't that good if you think about it because anyone that knows their armor stats is gonna know which one of these they can tank or they cannot and they will just dodge you until the buff runs out.

The biggest problem with 90% of faith/magic builds is that any idiot can kill you just out of perseverance alone. All they need to do is hump your leg and never let you get range and boom, you cannot cast any of your spells and you die.

Also to the comments about the Sunbros/other convenants. You do realize as a Sunbro you can invade for Sun Medals right? Or did that skip your mind? Mad Spirits do not even need to kill the host to obtain their covenant item at all if there are summons nearby, HELL they can even kill other invaders and get their covenant item. The Fingers can obtain multiple covenant items in a single invasion if they kill blue sentinels/blades of the darkmoon for the potential forked tongue (aka 2 tongues per kill). If anything the covenants that get the biggest shaft of them all are the Aldrich Faithful and the Watchdogs of Farron. Reason being because they are limited to a specific area only for invasions, the watchdogs being the worst of the two because the main invasion hub for the entire game is anor londo/pontiffs! Every damn person I know cruises through the Crucifixion woods as quickly as damn possible because the area in most peoples opinion is just awful. BOTH are dependent on a player not having killed the boss yet because they cannot invade you otherwise!

I'm not saying this out of spite or malice, but nothing quite annoys me more (in regards to the Souls Series) than seeing/hearing about, "Oh my god pvp imbalance because I cannot fight ganks!"

Rizen

Addicted
First Warden

ErebusGaming wrote:ALRIGHT FOLKS, THIS IS GONNA BE A LONG ONE SO HOLD ONTO YOUR BUTTSImage

So you're invading and expecting it to be a fair fight? You do realize this is dark souls right, and that this forum is for dark souls right?

You're also expect a fair and balanced system from FromSoft when it hasn't been balanced ever, not even back in demon souls.

I've seen a few of your posts already on here and can honestly say this in full confidence....

Like, I'm not sure what you thought this game was suppose to be like and that everyone was going to play by your ingrained rule set, but that is just not the case.
Here is a simple enough fix for your problems, tired of getting ganked? Then, either learn to fight multiple players that are willing to chug estus on you until they run out or don't invade. It is quite simple I assure you. I have friends in this game that simply do not invade, they would rather stack the odds in their favor with a 3 man squad against one lone invader rather than be ganked themselves.

Or, you can go my route...

This game and its finite strategies that exist are not hard to comprehend and they are not hard to execute. Most of this game is simply, counter-play and hand-eye coordination/timing. If you can master these very simple things then guess what, you too can Gank Spank.

Also, you're "nuke" builds do not fit the current "winning meta". You could pull a win here or there out of your butt, but in reality any idiot with 40-50 dex or strength is just going to destroy you. This isn't because you could be bad, it's just that maybe 8-9 total miracles, spell, and pyromancies are actually worth using and they are either weapon buffs or flashy distraction spells meant for a setup with a combo. To be honest the only spells/miracles I use are tears of denial, dark weapon, lightning blade, darkmoon blade, even these aren't that good if you think about it because anyone that knows their armor stats is gonna know which one of these they can tank or they cannot and they will just dodge you until the buff runs out.

The biggest problem with 90% of faith/magic builds is that any idiot can kill you just out of perseverance alone. All they need to do is hump your leg and never let you get range and boom, you cannot cast any of your spells and you die.

Also to the comments about the Sunbros/other convenants. You do realize as a Sunbro you can invade for Sun Medals right? Or did that skip your mind? Mad Spirits do not even need to kill the host to obtain their covenant item at all if there are summons nearby, HELL they can even kill other invaders and get their covenant item. The Fingers can obtain multiple covenant items in a single invasion if they kill blue sentinels/blades of the darkmoon for the potential forked tongue (aka 2 tongues per kill). If anything the covenants that get the biggest shaft of them all are the Aldrich Faithful and the Watchdogs of Farron. Reason being because they are limited to a specific area only for invasions, the watchdogs being the worst of the two because the main invasion hub for the entire game is anor londo/pontiffs! Every damn person I know cruises through the Crucifixion woods as quickly as damn possible because the area in most peoples opinion is just awful. BOTH are dependent on a player not having killed the boss yet because they cannot invade you otherwise!

I'm not saying this out of spite or malice, but nothing quite annoys me more (in regards to the Souls Series) than seeing/hearing about, "Oh my god pvp imbalance because I cannot fight ganks!"

You're going around telling people to get good when you haven't even solo fought bosses?
p15942928/spear-of-the-church/#p15942928
Disposition shift has its benefits. If you can't hit play cause the button sticks, ignorance is bliss I can't say. There's a compass raised with familiar tone, a voice that needles you to the bone. You're left with chaos, static and delay.
-REM

ErebusGaming

Souls: 152.00
If that is all you took from this entire text wall I just posted then the entirety of this post went straight over your head. You're response shows your age and frankly I am not surprised, have a nice day.

Also, my post that you so quickly linked wasn't about me needing help with bosses, it was directed towards players that do. Some players simply are unable to kill bosses on their own and should not be put down for requiring help and would rather not suffer through multiple deaths on the same boss.

But I digress, your post is about pvp, not pve so please do not try to derail your own thread please.
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Souls: 42,087.50
Wiki Edits: 559
ErebusGaming wrote:If that is all you took from this entire text wall I just posted then the entirety of this post went straight over your head. You're response shows your age and frankly I am not surprised, have a nice day.

Also, my post that you so quickly linked wasn't about me needing help with bosses, it was directed towards players that do. Some players simply are unable to kill bosses on their own and should not be put down for requiring help and would rather not suffer through multiple deaths on the same boss.

But I digress, your post is about pvp, not pve so please do not try to derail your own thread please.

No, not really. Your post was not clever, nor insightful, nor even right in any sense. You posted a rude pile of souls-isms and memes, none of which required conscious thought or comprehension to type out, none of which actually applied to the topic at hand, and all of which were trying to insult the OP for reasons you invented on the spot, as if you somehow thought you could divine secret things about another person through things they never said.

It was embarrassing to witness, if I'm being completely honest.
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 191.04
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 459
I'll just pop in with my usual plug for the forum guidelines. No insults.

Also, the forum has always discouraged the ”git gud“ demeanor
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

TheManWhoLaughs

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,453.50
Considering that a host playing online has to contend with their game as well as the chance of invasion, it is perfectly reasonable that the invader has some penalty on them for being repelled. Yes, clearing a level negates the risk of having to reclaim your souls. Yes, not all phantoms in every covenant have this deal with this. But the gesture has always been there. In Dark Souls you could get indicted even if you succeed in killing a host, making you a mark for Darkmoons (I miss that system).

I guess what I'm saying is that invading is a responsibility. You don't have to be the best invader. You don't even have to be a good invader. You just have to accept your role. You are entering another player's saga, a rock on their path to victory. In the best of situations the host should have an edge on you. Sometimes you come into a game at the perfect exploitable moment. You have the freedom to be any kind of invader you want and the host has to deal with you the best they can because they decided to play online. You are choosing to fight another player and any allies they have summoned so you just need to be prepared and the only way to do that effectively is to fight enough ganks until you start getting better at handling multiple people.

Try not to think about it in a win/lose manner and consider the loss of souls a small risk compared to what the people you are invading might lose (not every player comes to embers so easily). I don't always kill hosts and I don't always succeed in helping hosts as an ally phantom, but I can tell you that I've enjoyed my experiences much more once I got over the death thing.

Rizen

Addicted
First Warden

TheManWhoLaughs wrote:Considering that a host playing online has to contend with their game as well as the chance of invasion, it is perfectly reasonable that the invader has some penalty on them for being repelled. Yes, clearing a level negates the risk of having to reclaim your souls. Yes, not all phantoms in every covenant have this deal with this. But the gesture has always been there. In Dark Souls you could get indicted even if you succeed in killing a host, making you a mark for Darkmoons (I miss that system).

I guess what I'm saying is that invading is a responsibility. You don't have to be the best invader. You don't even have to be a good invader. You just have to accept your role. You are entering another player's saga, a rock on their path to victory. In the best of situations the host should have an edge on you. Sometimes you come into a game at the perfect exploitable moment. You have the freedom to be any kind of invader you want and the host has to deal with you the best they can because they decided to play online. You are choosing to fight another player and any allies they have summoned so you just need to be prepared and the only way to do that effectively is to fight enough ganks until you start getting better at handling multiple people.

Try not to think about it in a win/lose manner and consider the loss of souls a small risk compared to what the people you are invading might lose (not every player comes to embers so easily). I don't always kill hosts and I don't always succeed in helping hosts as an ally phantom, but I can tell you that I've enjoyed my experiences much more once I got over the death thing.

Like I said, it's not invasions that are the problem so much as getting ganked 90% of the time. I won a few invasions. I agree the host should have an advantage and have more estus. All I'm saying is if I go up against those odds it's very tedious to track down my souls every death. To be realistic there's very little you can do when 3-5 guys are jumping you in most areas. A few areas like the Ringed City and maybe a toxic swamp are fine for invaders because the power of the enemies or environmental hazards leveling the playing field. Everywhere else a gank mob can cut a swoth through everything, even Lothric Castle. Any enemy that can be back-stabbed a gank can destroy in seconds. I have cleared out the area to get my souls back. It discourages invading; I'd much rather play other online modes/covenants.
-REM