Discuss the latest Dark Souls Title!

Rangrok

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,608.00
IgnusKnavery wrote:Opinions are like *******. Everyone has one. Saying such and such is the best miracle, dark, sorcery, or pyro spell is completely relative. No one is going to agree. It's like discussing what the best weapon is for a particular build. Opinions don't mean anything.

Yeah but some people take the time to clean their... opinions.

Nothing wrong with a good debate every now and then, even if we don't get a clear winner.

MrMoho

Casual
Convict

Souls: 436.00
TSMP wrote:Actually, I kind of like the Archdeacon Great Staff and Golden Ritual Spear as-is. Note that 60fth costs roughly 50 levels, whereas 40int+40fth costs roughly 60 levels, so you can go 20int+60fth for the same total level investment, and in practice Archdeacon's is only slightly less powerful than Court Sorcerer Staff. You get to use all the good sorceries at very nearly full power, while still having fully powered miracles with Yorshka's Chime. ADS and GRS are for Faith-heavy dual casters, so they're pretty unique.

If you can spare a ring slot for the Darkmoon Ring, it opens up a lot of possibilities with spell loadouts. Two extra slots is not a bad deal when you're pyromancy or miracles and all the good **** costs two slots.

Oh, that's actually another problem of mine. 40 Int + 40 Faith does indeed give you indeed the equillavant of 60 Int or Faith by their lonesome... With means that a Pyromancer actually needs, on a fully optimized build with the proper starting class chosen, 8 more stats than a Sorcerer or Cleric. 8 point might not seem a lot, but for a build that alredy is struggling with points, this is pretty bothersome.

I know that back how it worked in DS2, it was far too much tipped in the favour of Pyromancers and Hexers, where 30 Int + 30 Faith gave you the equillavant of 60 Int/Faith. Now, because Pyromancies deal so much damage by their lonesome already, this isn't toooo bad, but if there ever should be a proper re-balancing of spells, they should made it so that you "cap" at 35 Int + 35 Faith. That Way Pyro's might have 2 points more than Clerics and Sorcerers, but that is a much fairer difference than 8.

Eh, I know you that's a possibility with the Archdeacon Great Staff, but it still really doesn't do it for me. You basically gimp your Miracle damage to maybe get a Great Farron Dart that also isn't as powerful if just going full Sorceror. I know, that should be how it works when going hybrid, but then there is also that silly fact about those darn Rings, increasing that gap even more. I might be okay if only the Deacon Staff worked that way, but the Golden Ritual Spear should have a gimmick more unique to itself instead of being the melee version of said Staff.

This also forces me to think about how the Scholars and Cleric's Candlestick requires Faith. I know that that is a running theme with the Deacon weapons, and it isn't much here, but that still are points wasted for nothing except if you go for a very, very specific build... At what point you are probably better off using another catalyst weapon.

Though why the Scholar's Candle stick requires Fiaith is beyond me. I mean, it only effects Sorceries... And it's a Scholar's Candlestick. Even the description hardly makes any sense to give this thing a Faith requirement. I guess it hardly matters, but still, it locks up options for Int Sorcerers to possibly use this as a (stilly very bad) weapon instead of just get it for the buff it grants.

Rizen

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,647.00
I've noticed floating chaos is too slow to be good but has situational uses. In the Irithyll circular arena opponents can't hide behind anything and have to rush you at the start so it's great there. If you're in a group for whatever reason it acts like a sentry turret that shoots 3 times. This is a big aid to other party members and lets you act before the spell runs out.

Too bad scholar's candlesticks can't be made simple or parry.
Disposition shift has its benefits. If you can't hit play cause the button sticks, ignorance is bliss I can't say. There's a compass raised with familiar tone, a voice that needles you to the bone. You're left with chaos, static and delay.
-REM
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Souls: 42,087.50
Wiki Edits: 559
MrMoho wrote:Oh, that's actually another problem of mine. 40 Int + 40 Faith does indeed give you indeed the equillavant of 60 Int or Faith by their lonesome... With means that a Pyromancer actually needs, on a fully optimized build with the proper starting class chosen, 8 more stats than a Sorcerer or Cleric. 8 point might not seem a lot, but for a build that alredy is struggling with points, this is pretty bothersome.

I know that back how it worked in DS2, it was far too much tipped in the favour of Pyromancers and Hexers, where 30 Int + 30 Faith gave you the equillavant of 60 Int/Faith. Now, because Pyromancies deal so much damage by their lonesome already, this isn't toooo bad, but if there ever should be a proper re-balancing of spells, they should made it so that you "cap" at 35 Int + 35 Faith. That Way Pyro's might have 2 points more than Clerics and Sorcerers, but that is a much fairer difference than 8.

Eh, I know you that's a possibility with the Archdeacon Great Staff, but it still really doesn't do it for me. You basically gimp your Miracle damage to maybe get a Great Farron Dart that also isn't as powerful if just going full Sorceror. I know, that should be how it works when going hybrid, but then there is also that silly fact about those darn Rings, increasing that gap even more. I might be okay if only the Deacon Staff worked that way, but the Golden Ritual Spear should have a gimmick more unique to itself instead of being the melee version of said Staff.

This also forces me to think about how the Scholars and Cleric's Candlestick requires Faith. I know that that is a running theme with the Deacon weapons, and it isn't much here, but that still are points wasted for nothing except if you go for a very, very specific build... At what point you are probably better off using another catalyst weapon.

Though why the Scholar's Candle stick requires Fiaith is beyond me. I mean, it only effects Sorceries... And it's a Scholar's Candlestick. Even the description hardly makes any sense to give this thing a Faith requirement. I guess it hardly matters, but still, it locks up options for Int Sorcerers to possibly use this as a (stilly very bad) weapon instead of just get it for the buff it grants.

Yeah, increased costs like that are why people started going to SL125. At one point I had a pyromancer with 40vig, 30att, 12str, 12dex, 45int and 45fth (dark catalyst and crystal chime softcap plus spell access) for SL120 overall, then I bumped Dex to 17 for Witch's Locks and Demon Scar for SL125. The low stamina is kind of a pain when using anything that isn't a rapier, straight sword, or curved sword, but I'm fine with it since those are the weapons I generally use anyways.

Fun Fact: with the Priestess Ring, even a 7fth Sorcerer can equip the Cleric's Candlestick and Immolation Tinder. As for Scholar's Candlestick, at least you don't actually need the Faith to get the spell boost, otherwise it'd only be good on high-level dark sorcery builds, and it's not like losing damage on it really makes that much of a difference.

Archdeacon... I mean, yeah, pound for pound it's less efficient than just using a normal Court Sorcerer Staff, sticking solely to miracles, or just using the damn Crystal Chime, but there's still the fact that it's slightly stronger with sorcery at 60fth than the chime is and the build itself is hella stronger with miracles. You're giving up pyromancy to be a little bit better at miracles and sorcery, and personally I think it's cool how that's even an option at all. It isn't a solution I'd have been able to come up with on my own, since it's so outlandish. I wouldn't change the Golden Ritual Spear much at all personally, since it's already so bizarre and requires such a specific build that maintaining basic functionality is more important than standing out more than it already does.

MrMoho

Casual
Convict

TSMP wrote:Yeah, increased costs like that are why people started going to SL125. At one point I had a pyromancer with 40vig, 30att, 12str, 12dex, 45int and 45fth (dark catalyst and crystal chime softcap plus spell access) for SL120 overall, then I bumped Dex to 17 for Witch's Locks and Demon Scar for SL125. The low stamina is kind of a pain when using anything that isn't a rapier, straight sword, or curved sword, but I'm fine with it since those are the weapons I generally use anyways.

Fun Fact: with the Priestess Ring, even a 7fth Sorcerer can equip the Cleric's Candlestick and Immolation Tinder. As for Scholar's Candlestick, at least you don't actually need the Faith to get the spell boost, otherwise it'd only be good on high-level dark sorcery builds, and it's not like losing damage on it really makes that much of a difference.

Archdeacon... I mean, yeah, pound for pound it's less efficient than just using a normal Court Sorcerer Staff, sticking solely to miracles, or just using the damn Crystal Chime, but there's still the fact that it's slightly stronger with sorcery at 60fth than the chime is and the build itself is hella stronger with miracles. You're giving up pyromancy to be a little bit better at miracles and sorcery, and personally I think it's cool how that's even an option at all. It isn't a solution I'd have been able to come up with on my own, since it's so outlandish. I wouldn't change the Golden Ritual Spear much at all personally, since it's already so bizarre and requires such a specific build that maintaining basic functionality is more important than standing out more than it already does.

Indeed, but that still something I find rather bothering. I mean, a pure Strength/Dex build pretty much maxes out all his required stats at almost level 100, especially if taking use of the Prisoner's Chain, so Spellcasters are always faaar behind. They sorta tried to fix that in DS2 with Adaptability by giving melee build a stat they "had" to skill... Though not really. Albeit that offered for more build variety, too. I mean... Strength/Dex build put stats into anything because whatever past 100, anyways, sooo I guess they don't get too much of a benefit over Spellcasters then...

I do know that a mere Priestess Ring fixes that issue, but we are talking about a ring slot for a build that already greatly struggles with those.

Yeah, that can make the Deacon Staff a bit more useful, but that only is possible on a high level build to get all those points going. I do personally try to stay at level 100 with each build, even spellcasters, mixing and mashing to see how to still stay relevantly decent despite the lack of points. Archdeacon won't see any use around those levels.

mothereternity

Souls: 2,200.00
Bank: 1,202.00
Wiki Edits: 872
Wow this was a great read! And contrary to a comment above you can learn a lot from others opinions, especially if you are willing to take a step back from yourself and take in what is being said.

I've found with being a caster that surprise or mixing it up is the biggest offense there is. Finding something that catches your opponent off guard can give you the advantage. Sometimes it isn't about whether this spell or that is the most op. It's the feeling you give your opponent, that matters. Putting someone out off their comfort zone, or even making someone over confident, can cause them to lose. And imo that's why it's so much more fun to play with casters. You aren't 'stuck' with a weapon, or moveset. You can have so many more things 'up your sleeve' so to speak. It's more versatile. And while I'm never going to be in the top ranks of pvp, I have a lot of fun playing. And to me that's what matters.

I look forward to reading more on this from those that have much more informed thoughts and meaning in their comments lol
Bound to the FEXUS

Even in darkness we need the light. Forum Rules to guide you thru t2/forum-guidelines/
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Rizen

Addicted
First Warden

I worked up to Slv 120. Should I go 5 levels higher? I want to stay with the meta but the extra 5 levels would be nice.
Disposition shift has its benefits. If you can't hit play cause the button sticks, ignorance is bliss I can't say. There's a compass raised with familiar tone, a voice that needles you to the bone. You're left with chaos, static and delay.
-REM

IgnusKnavery

Caffeinated
Guardian

Souls: 5,278.00
Rizen wrote:I worked up to Slv 120. Should I go 5 levels higher? I want to stay with the meta but the extra 5 levels would be nice.

There's still argument about the meta. I know a LOT of people that are going to 140 because you can still fight people in the 120 range. SL120 is not enough in Dark Souls 3 and I think most people know that. It's not high enough to actually have fun with a character anyway. You can set the meta at any level with PVP, but you set it too low and people are just going to be punching each other and dying really fast. :)
“I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

MrMoho

Casual
Convict

Buffs and Support Spells

Well, I thought I wanted to make an extra thread about this at first, but it is probably best to just place it right below the previous. I'd like to say before that parts of my reason that I didn't do this outright was because... Well, I am not super familiar with a lot of these spells. Some are just... weird, to say the least, especially in the way they function. For example: You might expect a 10% increase of damage with one buff, and it does against PC enemies, yet you only gain around roughly 6% against players. This wouldn't even make sense in an “Oh, that's just the defense reducing it”, because your damage you dealt before already got reduced by defense and by laws of math would you expect that already reduced damage to increase by 10%- Sorry, bad conversations of the past. And then there is that fact that Duel Charm just completely removes any buff you got even though buffs actually aren't broken for once in this Souls game!

There is also pretty much this whole feeling of... Eh, they are often better than nothing. I mean.. As a Knight starting class, pretty much the default melee physical build class, you get one spell-slot right away, so might as well fill it with a buff of sorts. Thus, I don't know if they require too much critique.

Regardless, a buff shouldn't be useless, and definitely not overpowered!... Pfff, wow, I almost couldn't finish that. Overpowered buffs in DS3, woooo boy!... E-Erm, anyways, let us begin!

Pyromancy

There's surprisingly little stuff going on here. I mean, there often wasn't much stuff happening with buffs in the school of Pyromancy, but in DS3, the low amount of it getting used to buff must be a new record low!... W-Well, here we go!

Rapport

The only reason it is number one is because this spell does exactly what it says on the tin, and majesticly so. Of course, in any form of PvP duel, this thing is absolutely useless, but in PvE and invasions? Gosh, this is an amazing spell! It causes a mob to fight for your side for 30 seconds. It casts pretty fast, unlike in DS1, has range and can exactly charm infinite amount of enemies! That stoopid Phantom thinks he got you now that that red-eyed knight was pulled by your deaf Phantom? Just make it fight for you and watch him make a run for it! Group of enemies come your way? Just make them fight amongst themselves! It's loads of fun, albeit somewhat limited. I give this spell 5 Londorion cookies out of 5!

Carthus Flame Arc

I know you look at this right now and scoff, I know you do. “Carthus Flame Arc this high up? That's like the worst weapon buff out there!” First off, no, just almost! And secondly... I-It is, yes, but this weapon buff got going what others don't: Very low stat requirements. A Knight only needs to spend 2 stat point in order to use this thing! There is technically one that needs a bit less than that, still, buuut Carthus is stronger. Granted, with such low stats, one will get a lot less out of it if they were to get some Faith and Int... and Pyromancies require far more stats to get a good spell buff than other schools... But, erm, even at 10/10 it still gives more damage than a Resin...

The buff I would give it is to fix the scaling of the Pyromancer Flames Spell Buff to be more inline with pure Int/Faith Catalysts... And I guess not have splitdamage be the horrible thing it is in DS1 and 3... But that is going to apply to almost all Weapon Buffs, soooo...

Power Within

Oh boy, here we go... Now, this spell was, like, Meta tier in DS1. It gave 40% extra damage and around 73% extra stamina regeneration while you lost 1% of health over time for 100 seconds. What was fun in DS1 was that you could wear the Lingering Dragon Crest ring to boost it up to 150 seconds, which caused you to lose less health per second, too, as the buff still only drained all your health through its whole duration. It still does the same here, although the extra damage was cut in half (ouch) and the duration down to 30 seconds. It still drains 1% of health per second and the extra Stamina reg is pretty much still almost the same, giving you a flat 30 on top of your base (which is 45). That's like an increase of 66%! You can even still put on the Lingering Dragon Crest ring to make it last 42 seconds, although does that not reduce your damage taken in DS3. Though, despite that, 20% more damage and 66% more stamina regen still sounds great, and in this game you can more easily counter the health loss with regen gear! But, ugh, here's the problem. First, 20% isn't that much. That alone is not worth the health lost. Secondly, while the stamina regeneration sounds amazing, it is... not so useful. Y'see, things in DS3 cost very little stamina, at least convenient things... Like rolling. Just because rolling is so cheap, stamina management is almost unneeded in this game, except maaaaaybe for Great Weapons. But the problem with them is that you hardly will hit anybody in 30 seconds. Maybe once, but that barely causes them to receive more damage than you trade in. Not to mention that 30 seconds can easily be staled until the buff runs out. A cowards tactic, I know, but it's possible. I mean, the buff becomes more and more useful the less health (aka the lower your level) is, as regeneration gear health a stale amount whereas this scales of your max health. Still, not all that exhilarating even then.

It probably needs to last for at least 50 seconds. I know, that means more health lost, but is also reduces the chance of just getting staled. Also, a Lingering Crest Ring would get it up to 70 seconds. Good stuff. The extra damage gained probably should be at least 30%. 40% may have been a little too much, but with the whole danger of losing half your health for nothing, I'd say it would justify 30%... Even if two hits of a lot of Great Weapons would kill you in the Arena then.

Warmth

Now, this was the most common Pyromancy support spell out there in DS2. Eeeevery invader had one as a back-up! It summons a floating orb that heals everything around it. It's a great, yet fair, healing spell. If not set up properly, you may gotten healed, but so does everybody else! It still does the same in DS3, although the healing was major **** before it got patched. I mean, that would make you think it would be found on every invader nowadays, too, right? Nope. Not at all. First, having actual Estus around now when invading made all healing spells sorta drop off in importance, though having one is still really fancy to have. No, this spell has far more stuff going on with it. For example, acquiring the thing is obnoxious as hell. You need to be rank two in the Mound-Maker covenant, and everybody knows how lovely it is to rank up in a covenant that requires to to invade folks. Secondly, it now needs two spell slots. Okay, nothing too ground-breaking, albeit pretty annoying. The real deal-breaker is that it now instead of zero, required 25 Faith to even cast. That's not a little. That means pretty much only Faith Hybrids and pure Pyro/Hex/Faith caster can use this thing, and at that high Faith you get far more reliable, save, quick and cheaper options to get a good heal. Now, now, over it's duration it heals more than any other healing spell out there, but that takes 60 seconds and remember, that includes everybody standing next to it. I mean, I guess it always heals the same no matter your Spell Buff, but remember, it requires 25 faith and your Spell Buff with some catalyst is pretty decent at that amount. The fact that it became so much more restricted negates the ups of this thing to me. You will even barely see this thing in Fight Clubs nowadays.

Now, I can understand requirement in stats, yes, but that should probably be around 20 Faith or a split to 15 Faith and Intelligence. Secondly, two spell slots, really? It heals everybody, friend or foe, darn it, and takes far longer than any healing spell (except regeneration spells, but those should best be used before combat, anyways) to get your health up. It should only require one slot.

Carthus Beacon

A buff that boost your damage, and it gets better with each swing! Sound great on paper, but it's terrible on the field. Now, it is supposed to buff your damage for 7,5% on the first swing and up to 15% after 3-5 swings, depending on the weapon used. Sounds pretty fun, yeah? Well, jokes on you, as almost all buffs appear to be weaker against players than mobs. So, that damage you get almost gets cut down to a third. Also, it lasts for 30 seconds. Wow, that's more than enough time to greet my opponent and then attempt to swing at him once... You can stack it with the Pontiff Ring and the Old Wolf Curved Sword, and maybe you get a decent increase of damage out of it then, but on its own? Gosh, this thing is crap. Oh, also, requires 2 slots. Yaaay... I suppose it only requires 12 Int and Faith to use. Not much of a saving grace, if you ask me.

I mean, this is easy. Put it down to 1 slot required and make it last 45 seconds and maybe make it hit players for the intended amount... Or at least closer to that number, like 6 and up to 12% increase. Maybe folks then will at the very least try it out.

Flash Sweat

The spell that sounds the grossest of all that always was used to run through lava across every Souls game... and then never again. It increases Fire Resistance... By like 30%. Good amount, but sadly it only work against one element in the whole game. I suppose you can apply it against bosses you know cause fire damage, but in PvP, this thing... Never sees use. Why? Oh, probably because the vast majority of the time it's a completely wasted spell slot because the vast majority of people don't deal fire damage. Granted, those that do greatly focus on it, this buff countering them firmly, but c'mon, you want to carry around a very situational spell that will work only against a very low amount of players out there? Why not just get another buff that always is useful, albeit not as much as this one against this very specific enemy? AND IT LASTS 30 SECONDS?! Holy ballsack, this thing is shirley.

This spell needs something more, it always needed that. First, 60 seconds duration, no question. Second, a unique effect. What would cause you sweating so much that you are completely soaked in the stuff to your enemy? I guess gross him out. Maybe cause it to build up poison slowly on your opponent if he is close to you? That was a fun mechanic back in DS2 with the Butterfly Set. If that would be added, I'd say to keep it down at 30 seconds of duration, even. Of course, it could also just be combined with the other Sweat spell into one. Speaking of which...

Profuse Sweat

Sweat some more to gain 80 resistance to all status effects. It almost sounds more useful than Flash Sweat... Until you realize that guys that build up status effects are just as rare as pure fire people. Who used this, like, ever, other than to find out what it looks like or to be a sweaty bastard? Nobody? Figures.

This... Should've just been combined with Flash Sweat or probably more so with Caressing Tears. Seriously, why did they even bother making this its own thing?

Iron Flesh

You know what is worse than a buff that does absolutely nothing? A buff that actively gimps you, and not even on purpose! Iron Flesh was always a curiosity. It was pretty broken in Demon Souls, in DS1, too, until patched and actually possibly viable on a very specific build in DS2. Here? Boy, oh boy, is it worse than ever. Casting this on yourself pretty much puts you at over 100% carry weight, forcing you to walk, though are you still able to fat roll. It does increase your physical resistance by 40% and all others by 50... which you can easily reach with normal armour. Oh, you also take 60% more lightning damage. I guess you can't be staggered and there are some weapons that deflect off of you when you are effected by it, allowing you to counter smack them, but there are few of those and they can always just... wait for 16 seconds. Because that is how long this spell lasts. 16 whoooooole seconds. And don't you throw that Quickstep tactic at me. You can just put on tons of armour until you fat roll, reach the same amount of extra resistance while still being able to walk at a normal pace.

What does it need? A lot. Well, not a lot technically speaking, but something that would change it a lot. First, instead of putting you automatically at max weight, it should add a loooot of weight to your person like back in DS2. That way, there is a way for very specific build to use this spell effectively! Second, needs to last longer. 45 second I'd say, but I guess 30 would also be fine...

Miracles

Now, this school is swarmed with buffs and support spells! It got more than any and a lot of them are actually useful! Hot diggity damn, it's like Christmas up in Cleric town!... Well, more like Easter. Ehem, this fact makes them the most common choice for Hybrids out there, not only because Faith got the most Hybrid Weapons... I think. Don't quote me on that.

Tears of Denial

Welp, this is easily the best support spell out there. Why? Oh, I don't know, maybe because it lasts forever until triggered? Granted, that does not make a spell amazing on its own, so let's talk a bit more about it. You apply a buff to yourself that allows you to survive a death blow with 1 hp left. Back in DS2, this spell did not last forever, so you either had to plan in advance that you probably are going to get killed by your enemy or you had to tactically apply it in the midst of combat. Here? Oh, honey, this is like a free 'Get out of Prison'-card. You apply it, rest at the bonfire to regain your FP and then... Just be on your way. It is also quite easy to apply at the begin of a duel, a single Estus regenerating the FP lost. This spell requires only 15 Faith to cast, which opens it up to almost everybody, too. But, since it requires 2 spell slots, pure melee's and casters often pass on it, thus making it almost a Faith Hybrid exclusive. Also, it needs 100 FP to cast, making it the most expensive spell out there, but an infinite lasting buff that gets you out of death once is definitely worth it... Also also, poison is a deliciously devious counter against this buff... Just saying.

Projected Heal

Now, at first glance, you may wonder why this is so high up. It is a healing spell meant for co-op, for crying out loud! Well, you shoot an Emit Force-like projectile that heals any ally that is in range of where it lands. Pretty hard to aim as you cannot, obviously, lock onto your friends. And just like in TF2 with the crossbow, they will neeever stand still. It heals very little for it's price but … Well, this is the ultimate combat heal. Why? It casts very, very fast. You can easily pull off one of those in the middle of a duel, especially if you Lightning Stormed beforehand. Just aim at your feet and enjoy a quick heal. Seriously, if you don't care about the fact that healing in a duel is often frowned upon, this is the spell for you... You douchebag.

Replenishment/Bountiful Light/Bountiful Sunlight

Now, this is a nice one. A healing spell that does not scale with any Spell Buff! Well, you buff yourself and regenerate health. The better the spell, the better the heal. Pretty simple. It goes from 5 to 7 to 10 Health per second, and yes, they stack with everything else, including Gentle Prayer of your Chime, or the Sacred Chime of Filianore that does not even require you to hold it out to keep gaining the healies. The first only has a Faith requirement of 15, something easily acquired, while the next needs 25 and the last 35. Get whatever suits you best and buff yourself up! Some people won't hate you for putting this stuff onto yourself before a duel, even! Oh, Bountiful Sunlight also affects your friends around you. Noice.

Heal Aid/Heal/Med Heal/Great Heal/Soothing Sunlight

A lot of heals, a lot of deals... But sadly no wheels. Well, these spells are pretty much very nice at the time you get them, each healing you a bit more for more FP required. The heal also scales with your Spell Buff, so the more Faith you got, the better it heals. Pretty straight forward. Not much to add here, they all heal you and even friends around you nicely! The reason I put them below regeneration spells is because it is easier to interrupt them and you can't cast these onto yourself before a battle to get that nice regeneration going.

Blessed Weapon

This weapon buff has been argued about since day one. Some think it's ****, others say it's the best one out there. But why, though? Well, it increases the physical damage of a weapon by 7,5% and a Health regeneration which scales of your faith (that tends to be neglectable) for 45 seconds. It is a rather short buff, and the heal actually doesn't increase if one uses the Lingering Crest Rings; it merely spreads it out over the longer duration. Now, why the split opinions? Well, the hate obviously is for the low increase in damage, low regen and low duration. The love, however, comes from the fact that it adds pure physical damage, thus there is no split damage, and it only requires 15 faith to cast! You can achieve that with six stat points as a Knight class or just one plus the Priestess Ring. That actually turns it perfectly into the very definition of “It's better than nothing”. I mean, why not use it? It increases your damage and has very little stat requirements. Though, how do I feel about this spell overall?

First, this thing needs to last at least 60 seconds (or make the duration scale with Faith, I dunno). Secondly, I'd personally change it up a bit... For blessed weapons. Y'see, Blessed Weapons normally can't be buffed, and they really suck when it comes to dealing damage, usually just ending up on a parry-offhand weapon because of that. Thus, I'd say to increase the Physical damage buffed on Blessed Weapons to 15%! That way, Faith Hybrids that go on Regeneration and Blessed Weapons might actually work out! They most likely will still deal less damage on a proper Melee Build, and the weapon buff runs out after a while, though would it make for an interesting new type of build! Also, it should last longer on a Blessed Weapon, a full 90 seconds, in fact.

Sacred Oath

One of the building blocks of the broken weapon buffers back in DS2, here the spell... Is just eh. Again, it's a good' ol case of “better than nothing”, though is that harder to achieve than with Blessed Weapon as this buff actually requires so much Faith that only Hybrids are going to reach it. It increases Physical damage by 10% (though against players I think that it is still lowered) and your physical absorption by 10%. That's not a lot, but honestly, this needs no buff. It is there for those Cleric Hybrids that uses those Special Weapons that Physically scale with Faith to give themselves a bit more of a kick. With my Blessed Weapon improve, this buff would also work nicely together with the Blessed Weapon Cleric!

Lightning Blade/Darkmoon Blade

No reason to split them, they are basically the same spell only that one adds Lightning Damage and the other Magic damage. Though the latter is only acquired through many tears, blood, sweat and waiting around for hours upon hours. Ye be warned. It buffs your damage and scales with your weapon buff. Simple. The problem is the same as all Magical Weapon buffs. Split damage.

Split damage really should be fixed, aka. not make it so that 100 Magical Damage and 100 Physical Damage will deals less than 200 pure Magical or Physical Damage on equal resistances. Although, now that I think about it, that probably would require some re-balancing on quite a few split damage weapons... Any maybe even spell buffs. Hmmm...

Deep Protection

The spell that does a little of everything. 5% more damage, 5% absorption to every type of damage, Resistances against status effects get a plus 20 and a whooole 3 stamina regeneration per second. This thing is kinda hard to judge. It doesn't require much faith, though enough that a pure physical build (at least on level 100 and below) thinks twice about getting it. Mostly due to the fact that it increases everything by so little that it almost isn't worth the bother to cast on oneself. I mean, it is “better than nothing”. I really don't know what else it should do due to that fact... Actually, I do.

The Stamia regeneration should be a bit higher, so it has a nice “buff” parallel to the Ring of Favour and Protection. Probably like around 5 or 6. Still very low, but, well, “better than nothing”.

Vow of Silence

This maybe should be higher, but right now it is so low due to a simple reason. First off, this spell casts a ring of RAGAWHIMADOODOODAA! which causes everybody caught inside to be unable to cast any spells, including yourself. The range is massive, much bigger than the ring would suggest, and I believe it goes through walls, thus, allowing to pretty much always successfully affect anybody, especially since it can't even be rolled through. It only lasts for 15 seconds, but since it is almost impossible to miss, I'd say that is more than fair. I mean, you pretty much hard counter any pure caster out there. Though, 15 seconds can easily be staled, sooo... Oh, by the way, speaking of which. It is so low due to two facts. It requires 30 Faith, so you pretty much have to go hybrid, preferably purely a buff hybrid because otherwise you nerf yourself. Secondly... It only counters casters that actually use offensive spells. I mean, that is its one and only use, yes, buuut that really makes it incredibly situational. Remember, you have to pick this up before you go into a battle, meaning you have no clue at all if it will be useful. And most of the time, it won't. Then again, that is 'prooobably' because pure spellcasters are both actively weaker and harder to play than any pure melee build. So you are going to ruin the fun of a person that already isn't playing all that serious.

Dark Blade

Oh, what the hell? Why is this one so bad? Oh, you ask why it is bad? It is bad because at a requirement of 25 Faith it is as good as Great Magic Weapon that needs 15 Intelligence. I guess this is the Weapon Buff for those people that want Great Heal and Bountiful Light but don't want to spend 5 points/wear the Priestess Ring even though they could just go for a more powerful version with Lightning/Darkmoon Blade then! This thing doesn't even dual-scale with Int and Faith on those catalysts design for such, but instead merely scales of the Faith by itself. And don't give me that Crucifix of the Mad King combo. Even a Resin almost does an as good job.

Either reduce the Faith required down to 15 or bump it up to 30 and make it as good of a Weapon Buff as Lightning/Darkmoon Blade! Yeesh!

Magic Barrier/Great Magic Barrier

Ooooh honey. This spell was so amazing in DS2 that it rivaled Sacred Oath. Now? Let's just say that no Wiki even bothered to include how much magic resistance these spells offer. 35% for the small one, 60% for the big one, by the way. So, why is this spell bad in DS3? Simple, for the same reason it was rather useless back in DS1. It only increases one resistance, one that might be one of the most uncommon types of damage in the game, though, granted, possibly one of the more common magical types of damage in PvP. Key word being magical types, as in, very, very few people actually use those. So, let's break this down, you have one spell (one of which costs TWO spell slots!) that counters one type of damage, a type of damage that is in a group of four that already is rather rare. Did I mention it lasts 45 seconds? Because it does. Basically, there is no reason at all to ever carry this around, except maybe when you got after... I don't know, Crystal sage? You really wanna bother with buffing yourself for him, though? Be true to yourself, you don't. I mean... It's better than Flash Sweat.

Whereas Flash Sweat needs something authentic, this merely needs something diverse. Namely, offering resistance to all types of damage, like back in DS2. Of course, not 35% for the small one or 60% for the great one, that would be ludicrous. It should rather be, say, 20% and 30%. That way everybody that bothers with 15 Faith can get some counter to those rarebloods called spellcasters and proper clerics can really give them the Kirk finger! And it should last 60 seconds! Also, no two spell slots for the Great Magic Barrier. I mean, sheesh!

Caressing Tears

Heals any Poison, Bleeding or Frostbite you might have. You know what does the same faster and without the use of a spell slot or cost of FP? Moss. I mean, I suppose this thing heals all at once, but when was the last time somebody tried to build up two Status Effects on you at the same time? Also, I guess it effects friendly units close to you. I once had this funny encounter when I had a blue friend who constantly used this to heal my poison while we fought a red in the swamp. I guess his intentions were nice. Didn't help in killing the invader and I rather would've had him focus all his attention on him since I had, y'know, Moss. I know it does what it does, but I want spells that do something that is supposed to help you counter something do so better than a bloody item!

Just... I don't know, make it give you a buff at the same time that increases ones resistance to status effects! I know Profuse Sweat already does that, but that one is also completely useless!

Attonement

I'm not sure if I should even add those few next spells, but oh well. Increases enemies aggro range towards you and they are more likely to target you... For 30 seconds. Just... wear the Skull Ring?

I mean, whoever uses this spell want their teeth get knocked in, so at the very least allow them that to happen for 90 seconds. But, even if that changes... Just wear the Skull Ring.

Seek Guidance

This causes developer messages to appear to help you with those nasty fake walls!... Something pointed out to you by dozen player messages, unless you play offline, I guess. In DS3, it also allows you to see summon signs, though if you want to actually summon them, you still gotta be embered up. I liked how there was that Hollow Mask back in DS2 that gave you this effect constantly!.. Wait, does this spell wear off, even? Either way, it is a waste of spell slot, even if you do play offline, I'd say. Needs no change, obviously.

Homeward

The Dark Souls equivalent of the D&D spell Creation. Why carry around an icky bone if you instead waste a spell slot to port yourself using your own abilities? Break the cycle of mediocrity of the Coiled Sword Fragment and show the world how much moxy and style you got. It is slower than either of them? Why, of course, if one wants to do something proper, wants to reach perfection, they have to do it slowly! You are a big boy and you deserve to have the right to teleport yourself home using your own Faith and Focus!...

...How is this spell still in the game?

Dead Again

I heard horror stories on how unspeakably awful this spell has become, the mere thought disgusting people. Thus, I toyed around with it recently and... Sweet mercy, nothing could've preprared me. I... I'll just take the merit of copying TSMP's post about how this spell is utter and complete ****.

TSMP wrote:Dead Again: Man, I could write an entire essay on everything wrong with this spell. Seriously, it's ridiculous. Some of the things they did to it make sense, like corpses disintegrating after you explode them which makes it hard to spam. Other things I can kind of understand, like how it only explodes three corpses at a time so you don't go through all of them in one shot. But then they go and reduce the damage so far that it's barely even 200 per corpse, on a spell you have to spend way too much time setting up, has an incredibly blatant and slow delay before exploding, and that you likely won't ever cast more than once per fight. And that you also won't likely use without prior preparation. Oh, and it only explodes "enemy" corpses, which means you can't blow stuff up while invading except in one specific area on one specific category of enemies (the Undead Settlement non-aggro hollows, if you're wondering). Just... eugh. How do you mess something up so bad?

What needs to change? Why, the damage needs to be... tripled. The delay needs to be reduced. It should effect every type of enemy that leaves a bloody corpse behind! Sweet mercy, I can only repeat, how do you mess something up so bad?

Sorcery

There's quite the variety of curious spells amongst Sorceries. Whereas those amongst Pyromancies... suck and Miracles tend to be rather straight forward, Sorcery buffs add a lot of variety that can be proper used when being creative... Well, a whole bunch of them are really useless, too.

Magic Shield/Great Magic Shield

Sweet buttslap, this thing. Want to turn your Medium Shield into an all-absorbing Great Shield? Look no further than this spell. While the smaller version is actually offers a fair, yet unique buff to your shield, allowing for... well, anybody, due to the low Intelligence requirement, to turn a shield actually rather useful and viable in both PvE and PvP, the Great version makes you [Insert obvious Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance quote here]. The great version adds 35 stability to your shield and causes it to absorb all. Possible. Damage. Everything will get blocked, hell, if you get a Great Shield with okay Stability, namely around 65 or higher, there is going to be no stamina consumption at all against your shield. For 18 Intelligence! Holy molly, the normal version is fine, but the Great one is such an obnoxious baby-kicker of a spell. Luckily it only lasts 30 seconds, probably the one reason you don't see legions of people use it. But still, sheesh.

This spell might be one of the most complicated ones to fix out there, because due to diminishing returns and such in DS3, any small change might make or break this thing. First off, there should never be a way to full absorb all stamina of an attack. It should cap at probably 90% or 95%. Second, nooo 100% absorption on everything. It should add some, yes, and shields that already got great absorption in one Element can get a full 100% when buffed with this spell, but not those where it is only mediocre.

Magic Weapon/Great Magic Weapon/Crystal Magic Weapon

One weak weapon buff for pretty much everybody, one a bit better for those that bother equipping the Scholar Ring and a strong one for proper Intelligence Hybrids or pure casters, I guess. They all have the same problem as any other Weapon buff except Blessed Weapon out there: Split Damage. I pretty much explained this already, so I don't feel the need to go over it again.

Hidden Body

Man, they really ruined this spell. It makes your body go transparent, reducing vision from enemies. It offered for a lot of fun tricks during invasions, especially since using this while wearing the Untrue White Ring causes you to almost look like a White Ghost (y'know, those players of a different world that are close to you). The problem now is that it hardly lasts long enough to properly set things up, forcing you to cast it in audible range for the host. I guess the long duration made it too easy to just run past mobs, but c'mon, there gotta be a different solution for that.

Please, I beg of you, From, make it last longer again! Also, a neat effect to add might be to cause the user to also have the effect ala Obscuring Ring! That would one truly appear like a White Ghost!, appearing only when close to the host.

Hidden Weapon

Makes your weapon invisible. Sounds nice and it kinda is nice... against not so experienced players.... That did not see your weapon prior of you making it invisible. However, I won't deny that an invisible weapon can even throw off experienced players, especially because they can't see how long the thing is you made invisible. And it has really low Intelligence requirements! Though, it only lasts 45 seconds...

I'd say to make it lasts at least 60. C'mon, if you think that's too annoying, just throw a Duel Charm!

Charmeleon

You know it and you love it! Charmeleon was always a treat, causing you to transform into some object fitting for the area. Sadly, since there are items doing the same introduced in DS2, carrying around this spell is almost useless now. I mean, the White Tree Branches only got 10 charges, and sometimes you just never get the one transformation you want even after 10 tries, so I guess you can carry it around if you have low faith in your own luck.

Frozen Weapon

Luckily, I had one person use this spell against me in a proper duel, so I was able to determine where to put this... As you can see, it didn't go well for him nor this spell. It causes your weapon to build up Frostbite. Now, first off, here we got a whoooole spell that does something an item oughta do. Partially since this whoooole spell adds about as much Frostbite buildup to your weapon as a Resin does for Poison or Bleed. And you can't buff any weapon that adds Frostbite with this one, unlike those Resins. Did you ever try to build up a Status effect using a Resin on a weapon that did not add that status effect naturally? Even on a dagger that is near impossible. So you can probably guess why this whoooole spell is crap. Oh, also, it adds Frostbite. Frostbite. Such a delightful Status effect, isn't it?

This needs to add more Frostbite damage, no question.

Spook

Coats the sound of your footsteps and makes you not take any fall damage, also giving you sweet rings on your feet. There are rings that do the same, but I guess if you really want to save a ring slot instead of a spell slot, you can use this one. Oh, lasts 20 seconds. You know, if there is a ring that does the same than a spell but forever, you maybe should make those spells last a lot longer.

Should last 60 seconds, maybe longer.

Twisted Wall of Light

Oh look, the spell nobody used in DS2 is back and not Repel that actually seemed like it could've been useful. You know those spell parry shields? You know how incredibly situational they were even back in DS2 and mainly served to show off? Well, here we got a spell that does the same, only bigger... and a lot slower at the cost of FP. And it requires a whole 27 Intelligence to use. The only reason this is not at the bottom is because somebody pointed out a fun little trick with this spell plus Affinity. It doesn't make any of them good and/or useful spells, mind you.

Take this spell out, put in Repel, make Repel not cost tremendous amounts of spell slots like in DS2, and then watch everybody rejoice! Either that or reduce the Intelligence requirements and then make the casting time instant or something, yeesh! That still would make it a trash spell, but at least it wouldn't be much more worse than a spell parry shield!

Cast Light

You know how there were actual dark areas in DS1 and DS2 that gave this spell some use? Not anymore. I suppose you can now waste a spell slot for... Cosmetic purposes?... If you bother getting 15 Intelligence?

Aural Decoy

This is only here to complain how they replaced the silly laughter with the sound of footsteps. Shame on you, Fromsoft!

Repair

Get yourself a wasted spell slot for a spell that you will never use to do a thingy instead of doing said thingy with an item that you never will use because NOTHING EVER BREAKS IN THIS GAME! Even in those rare instances in which your equipment might be grow brittle because you cleared a whole area so you can invade people because your souls drop where you died in there world, basically countering another stupid, stupid feature in this game, you can just get yourself a Repair Powder! I don't even know what to do with this spell. What would you do? Just remove it, man. It only is here to spit in our face and laugh at us.

Update: Alright, I more thoroughly played around with buffs and the like, upgrading it a bit here and there. My opinion didn't change too drastically, however. I also put it up on my previous post here to make it more covenant to look and reply to.

But, merely by chance, I did warm up just a little bit more to the Way of White Corona, actually.

Well, not too much, but I did try it out more intensely on a Faith Hybrid focusing mainly on melee combat with regeneration, etc. During that time, I just happen to try this spell out quite a bit and found out that sometimes it is useful. It helps you sometimes surprise or even triple combo people, even finish them off if they are low on health. Another nice fact is that it is at max spell speed right from the get go... Or at least more casting speed barely makes a difference.

Still, this thing generally only works once against the common player, against other not at all. It is very obvious when you set this thing up and people just avoid it by... sprinting away. Even if you run after them, you more often than not won't catch up with them. I also found that it work far better together with quick weapons, like a straight sword.

I still think that Lightning Arrow and Great Farron Dart are far better spells for a finisher, and that there are different spells that work better to set up than this. On a person that heavily focuses on miracle casting, I also consider this still useless.

Despite my new way of looking at it, I still say it requires a buff. But I am a bit more reasonable this time and say that an increase of roughly 50% is needed.

Also, I figured out why it was so hard to free-aim with this thing: I played far too much in The Kiln of Flame arena. There's so many ups and down, plus the whole arena itself is on a tilt, which makes it so hard for the thing to not just smack something on its way back. In the Round Plaza, it's all fine.

Rizen

Addicted
First Warden

I can see using power within as an invader to buff my nuke pyros.

I agree support spells don't last as long as they should. Lingering dragon crest ring is practically a requirement and takes up a valuable ring slot.
-REM