Comments posted to our Dark Souls 3 Wiki

The earliest available parrying shield isn't the buckler. Instead it would be the target shield since its starting gear with the assassin class.
small Leather shield can be looted earlier than those 2 regardless of starting class and has the same parry animation
if i can only use some weapon while 2 handed the parry will give the 2 handed damage or the 1 handed damage?
Riposte (animation you can do after a succesful parry) damage is not affected by the two handing damage boost, only by the weapon equipped in right hand when starting a riposte animation.
unless one-handing means failing the str req, riposting is unaffected by 1H/2H
Parrying in DS3 is about as poor as the multiplayer itself or worse because of it. The only people skilled enough to pull of a parry consistently are those who have mastered the lag timing, otherwise the average player is screwed.
So you're saying the only ones good at pvp are those that have managed to git gud?
This could not be more false. Parrying is an extremely easy way to nigh one-shot an opponent. After being hit twice with r1s, simply spamming L2 with a fist weapon off-hand is a 100% parry if the person continues R1ing. The buckler has an 8 frame parry window, meaning if you time it well you can predict and parry the most difficult parry timings with ease. Examples are parrying well before a charge weapon art reaches you, or something else akin to that. Parrying is a cheap, effective way to level the playing field in a bad position, or utterly destroy the opponent.
I had my Gundyr's halberd parried, and i gotta adimit it kinda surprised me
Easiest thing to parry are the charge attacks. Gundyr halberd, Astora GS, Dragonslayer Spear, etc.
can you parry a shield?

Zethras

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 77.00
Wiki Edits: 2
As far as I can tell, they can't be parried

The only thing you can do against a sheidl bash is a partial parry. Which means you still get part of the damage by the bash but you're not staggered by it ;)

Alek_Y

Souls: 50.00
Farron GS is never exactly two handed since it is paired with a knife, so can its "two handed" strong attacks still be parried? I think not, because I was using it a while ago and realised the guy was trying to parry me, used the strong attack twice, his parrying failed both times and he died. I've never been parried when using its strong attack, but has anyone made some real experiments?
By the way I love to use Farron GS because people always think I'm going to spam the spinning attack, they don't expect me to use the full moveset

livevilforever

No, they you duel wield you are NOT considered to be 2 handing the weapon. However the delay makes it rather difficult to time correctly.
Can a shield strike be parried?

Zethras

Addicted
First Warden

Partially, but yes
I parried a guy called 'Shield dude' who was attacking with a piercing shield. I panic parried when I meant to R1 and got the riposte animation. So you can 100% do im just not sure on the timing (The active frames must start really early because he hadn't really swung before the parry happened).
So let's talk Farron GS?

Can you parry It's R1? I've never been parried off it and I throw it out if I read their parry. I've ALWAYS legit won that mix up (Invaders are uncreative) with the exception of one time. I used an L1, knife leap missed, he BLOCKED the spin. I then read his parry, which he went for, and followed up with an R1. Parried, one shot, GG.

Makes me question if people are just bad with the R1 timing or did using the L1 first leave me in some state where I could still be parried?

Bezixx

R1s can be parried all the time, since you aren't really able to two-hand it.

Zethras

Addicted
First Warden

Some attacks are impossible to parry, anyway, even with one handed weapons and such...they're just too fast and your parrying windup is not fast enough to connect the parry, even though you press the parry button with a perfect timing
or learn2parry and git gud...?

Bezixx

You shouldn't be attempting to parry fast weapons from close range if there's a noticeable amount of lag, unless you're a prediction god or enemy tries to combo and you have reasonable amount of poise.

Rophlecktuine

Souls: 170.00
What about a magic shield parry setup?