Comments posted to our Dark Souls 3 Wiki

PSA - patch 1.11 made heavy armor much more viable now, in case anyone has been discouraged from using it due to the odd Poise system in DS3
how so?
I might be in a minority here, but I like the current Poise system. It forces you to master the timing of your attacks using heavy weapons; if you want to counter the speed of lighter weapons. In the end both heavy and light weapons can work in pvp if you know how to use them.

Poise, as a stat, is not as important as it used to be, sure. Now it only strengthen your Hyperarmor. Does that make heavy armors useless? of course not. Higher protection ( especially after patch 1.11 ) in addition to higher Poise is more than enough reason to use them.
To add. As someone has said below, When you don't dodge, or activate your hyperarmor, poise should not be there to save you.
Yeah I get that but the way the game portrays it is kind of misleading
So, you like this game turning into an R1 fest and relying on your opponent to make a mistake and not vice versa? Because that's the only way you'd be able to use Ultras effectively minus a few that are reliable.

Poise for the most part was a substitute for having to roll spam and be quick. Did you ever see Havel the Rock in DS1 fast roll? No. He stood his ground and couldn't fast roll so you had to be smart with him because of his gigantic poise and defense. This game? Really no point having some decked up heavy build over an agile build. The only thing this game has done right was give Armor their defense buff.
"When you don't dodge, or activate your hyperarmor, poise should not be there to save you." That's the point, you're a tank and have POISE (look up the term poise) meaning you have no reason to roll around willy nilly because of your strength. Which made slow walk and fat roll/mid roll builds in DS1 SO fun. Not being able to fast roll was fine. Why? Large defense and high poise values meant you didn't have to rely on rolling. You think bosses need to roll around 24/7? There poise is what saves them.

How am i suppose to know the poise of a boss, lets take slave knight gael for example, if im using the profaned greatsword and that does around 28 poise damage, and im also using boulder heave. how many hits should it take me to reduce slave knights gaels poise to 0. and also for him damage to me with his weapon, does that mean he also regains his poise back, and i know you can get the armor set and the sword so would that armor set and sword be the same poise for you as it is for him?
You don't, which is dumb. Bosses poise could be manipulated in DS1 (Using an R2 on Smough with an UGS would always break his poise) in this game it's pretty random. Which makes using heavy weapons on most bosses completely redundant.

If they were gonna turn this game into "everything can stunlock you xDDDDD" they could of at least made enemies well made. Bloodborne had it fine for the most part, in two hits with my Ludwigs Holy Blade I can stun ANY enemy in at least two swings. Even on Ludwig himself it only took two hits to stun him. I just fought Lorian and it took like, 5 swings of my Great Club to stagger him? This game has by far the worst mechanics I've ever seen. Poise is hyper armor aka you get it when you swing yet most bosses get poise by standing still AND swinging? Ok FromSoft.
havels gear still useless as*****
Git gud
If you don't know how to dodge and time your hyper armor correctly, you're a scrub and poise shouldn't help you, the current system forces you to git actually use some mastery
Oh yeah, dodge in Havel's armor. Remember all those cool dodges Havel the Rock did in Dark Souls 1? It's not like he had armor that actually made a difference.
Oh wait, armor's without poise barely makes a difference and may as well not exist since you have to dodge attacks anyway.
How about you quit trying to justify From's poor decisions?
My bro wears full Havel's armour, has executioner greatsword. Just hitting him is difficult enough, with great timing and patience he bludgeoned everyone every time, and almost never staggers!
ok so i tested pout poise, compared 45 poise to 20 poise and there is a huge difference, so much easier to get staggered at 20 poise than 45 and also hyperarmor is increased, Btw if you are wondering im using the ringed knight straight sword from the dlc, very useful at +5 with increased poise, idk bout pvp tho

SollenAce

Souls: 50.00
Allow me to explain why I don't like this system by using the past games as reference:

Dark Souls 1: Heavy armor made trading blows viable with any weapon. Lighter armor made being agile and/or using bigger weapons more viable. Pretty much any combination of weapon/armor worked so long as it was built smartly.

Dark Souls 2: Same concept. Heavier armor allowed better damage trade while bigger weapons allowed an overruling of big armor. The guard-break system prevented people from hiding behind big shields.

Dark souls 3: Doesn't matter what physical build you have, you're still gonna lose to the guy with the biggest weapon/armor because they only need to hit you once to get two guaranteed hits on you. And good luck trying to get quick damage off them.

Shjade

Souls: 60.00
Wiki Edits: 2
This is a pretty inaccurate summary. More accurate:

Dark Souls 1: heavy armor only mattered to the degree you could poise backstab through your opponent's weapon, after which point poise was irrelevant since chaining backstabs doesn't care about anyone's poise and your armor is irrelevant because you'll eat as many backstabs as it takes to die.

Dark Souls 2: Heavier armor made trading blows viable, unless your opponent used a weapon that actually did damage, in which case trading blows was a good way to die regardless. The guard-break system was a nice helping hand for people who found it too difficult to parry with a curved sword.

Dark Souls 3: Fashion Souls finally comes into its own.
i have never pvp'd much in ds1&2 so i don't know, but you are damn right about how 3 turned out to be now after the patch imo. i don't get people that think otherwise, cause the unbalance is pretty clear, they are probably heavy weapon users only since after the latest patch, 18/20 players use heavy weapons...
Its not that bad, it's just the system from demon's souls improved. And demon's souls had by far the best pvp(i am pretty sure you still can easily get duels going as long as the servers are open(idk if they closed yet))
Trading hits was never wise even with heavy armor on. Lighter weapons have the advantage of speed and better stamina consumption. That has always been the case. Let's not talk about DS1 backstabbing or DS2 Soul memory nonsense...
In DS1 there was counters to backstabs and tech encompassing the counters. Soul Memory is only bad if you suck at micromanaging like getting your stuff savescummed.
So?
Here's the poise explanation in a nutshell:*****'s *****y.
I was under the impression that a higher poise value also allowed you to escape stun lock sooner. So if being attacked with a fast weapon like daggers, if you have high poise, you might be able to escape the stun lock and roll away / counter attack / parry after 3 hits instead of 5 or 6 hits. I even remember testing it last fall with armor sets that have different poise values and finding that it worked.

Was I just wrong?

MegaBearsFan

Souls: 29.00
I was under the impression that a higher poise value also allowed you to escape stun lock sooner. So if being attacked with a fast weapon like daggers, if you have high poise, you might be able to escape the stun lock and roll away / counter attack / parry after 3 hits instead of 5 or 6 hits. I even remember testing it last fall with armor sets that have different poise values and finding that it worked.

Was I just wrong?
Must've been because I've played since the beginning and love my corvian dagger, but people could always jump out after 2 hits so poise has never worked like you mentioned. (ABy my accounts tho)
Poise was and is screwed up, they have changed it based off us, Thanks, but its still not complete. It is based of weapons not Armor, Armor just add the values in short I use a short my 43.41 poise mean nothing... but great weapons and ultragreat weapons, it "works".. I have to use my WA to see poise.. while G & UG weapons R1 and R2 poise just fine.. therefore still screwed up. (Callapse)