2 
Reply  
Avatar

SilkyGoodness

Hollowed
Redeemer

Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:07 am
Souls: 9,440.00
Bank: 389.00
Posts: 1657
Reputation: 48
#11
Forum_Pirate wrote:
SilkyGoodness wrote:Oh and actually on topic, I think the reason people are going to hard on this game is because people have a lot of animosity directed at EA and BioWare for some obvious reasons. They found a reason to hate the game, and they're sticking with it. I don't think it's fair, but Mass Effect sits squarely in a very sensitive personal and emotional place for many many people. It's something that has to be handled with care and something that will never make anyone happy.

The reviews tell you in some detail why they give the scores they do. That doesn't really come up. Technical problems, bad writing, bad voice acting, boring characters, and repetitive missions seem to be the common complaints. Don't even need to play the game to see 3 of the 5 of those problems, the example footage (like in the gamespot review) makes it pretty clear.

The bad writing, btw, is super easy to explain.
Who wrote Dragon Age (all of them)? David Gaider. Also wrote KoToR, Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs Gate 2. Say what you want about the overall plots varied quality, the character writing in all of those games is quite good.
Who Wrote Mass Effect1 and 2? Drew Karpyshyn Also Wrote KoTor, Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs Gate 2
Who Wrote Mass Effect 3? Mac Walters. Also worked on... Mass Effect 2, Jade Empire and some books. Decent books, but compared to the rap sheet of the others it's pretty lacking.
Who Wrote Andromeda? Chris Schlerf. The guy who wrote Halo 4 and a Destiny expansion. Yeah, brilliant choice for the lead writer, the guy who wrote the worst halo and the notoriously story deficent Destiny. Awesome.

That's not 100% true. Sure you have to run everything by the lead writer, but each writer is assigned a character or two, and anything that Chris approves then goes to Mac because he's the project lead. I'd say some characters and their interactions are quite good, and no actor is giving anything below a moderately good performance. I would also say ME1 has cringy dialogue and acting sometimes. The encounter with Benezia and some of Liara's lines and delivery almost physically hurt. She of course gets comfortable in her role in ME2 and 3, although isn't one of the best actors on the staff. I would also say Jennifer Hale spoiled us. Mark Meer however give the flatest performance of the series thus far.

However the faces are, meh quality, I would say the only reason the aliens don't look bad is because their designs let them get away with it. However Lexi has good animations on her face. I have a feeling a bug might be present or they didn't ship with the right animations OR they couldn't complete them with the sheer amount of NPCs in game. Either way this is fixable and really stops being noticeable after like 30 minutes, or perhaps the more important character are better. I would also like to say I quite like Drack and Liam(they're of bros, as in friendly and likable), PeeBee is pretty alright as well. A little bit much, but she definitely could become a great character as this story continues or the next game comes along. Cora isn't as bad as I would have imagined, and may come around. The Asari commando thing and roses thing has me interested. Suvi can be cute, her face is the most stiff on the tempest though, and she really shouldn't have as tan of skin as she does being Scottish and all. Also I'm Scottish so I think I can look right in the mirror or at my family to know what pigment my skin is. She should be pale, or more pale. Like Cora.

I would say some issues definitely exist, but it is far from even an okay game. It is bordering on great, and will be as the patches come along. It however won't ever be exceptionally simply for the fact that it's the fourth game in a franchise.
Avatar

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: International waters
Souls: 22,720.50
Posts: 11847
Reputation: 384
Wiki Edits: 18
#12
I didn't really express my opinion on the game as a whole. I haven't played it. I'm boycotting EA, and have been since 2012. I might watch a letsplay or something, but there is virtually 0 chance of me buying it. If I play it, it will be because a friend bought a copy and I borrowed their account, which isn't likely.

No amount of telling mediocre writers to go back and fix it will actually result in good writing, especially not with time and budget contraints to worry about, and doubly so with a lead writer who's a bad writer and the actually decent writer on staff being in charge of 9000 other things as director.

I never claimed that the other games were perfect, but the difference in quality of voice acting is plain to hear, which is doubly bad when considering how much VO work in general has improved over the last 10 years.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush
Avatar

Elhanan

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:19 am
Souls: 1,860.00
Posts: 10952
Reputation: 5
#13
Not judging any game this early, but having read/ heard a few reviews already simply confirms my dislike for critics. When I hear one complain over little new content, and another whine over the new setting, I tend to smirk.

It will take some time for me to successfully remap my Control Keys, tailor my settings, and get used to the mechanics. After I have played a while, then I may appraise the game, but after a patch or two. Thus far, I am loving the soundtrack, am perplexed by the CC, and wonder if I shall be able to lower the Difficulty later.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
Avatar

SilkyGoodness

Hollowed
Redeemer

Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:07 am
Souls: 9,440.00
Bank: 389.00
Posts: 1657
Reputation: 48
#14
Forum_Pirate wrote:I didn't really express my opinion on the game as a whole. I haven't played it. I'm boycotting EA, and have been since 2012. I might watch a letsplay or something, but there is virtually 0 chance of me buying it. If I play it, it will be because a friend bought a copy and I borrowed their account, which isn't likely.

No amount of telling mediocre writers to go back and fix it will actually result in good writing, especially not with time and budget contraints to worry about, and doubly so with a lead writer who's a bad writer and the actually decent writer on staff being in charge of 9000 other things as director.

I never claimed that the other games were perfect, but the difference in quality of voice acting is plain to hear, which is doubly bad when considering how much VO work in general has improved over the last 10 years.

I meant the animations, my experience is the writing is bad at all. Charming if you ask me. It is less Joss Whedon than I thought, and even when it is like that it is done pretty alright. But I admire your conviction. I do think in this specific circumstance you might be losing out more than EA, but you do you bro.
Avatar

Elhanan

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:19 am
Souls: 1,860.00
Posts: 10952
Reputation: 5
#15
EA changed the CEO in 2013, and has done things differently for a while now. Both DAI and ME:A were both granted additional time before launch, which seems to be an indicator of the changes made since DA2 and ME3. I get holding a company responsible for past misdeeds, but also believe that when things are corrected, they may deserve another look.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
Avatar

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 11,588.00
Bank: 0.00
Posts: 5138
Reputation: 255
Wiki Edits: 3
#16
Forum_Pirate wrote:I didn't really express my opinion on the game as a whole. I haven't played it. I'm boycotting EA, and have been since 2012. I might watch a letsplay or something, but there is virtually 0 chance of me buying it. If I play it, it will be because a friend bought a copy and I borrowed their account, which isn't likely.


This reminded me of a joke I heard on youtube. The term Boycott was named after a English Land agent, Charles Boycott in Irland, who tried to evict his land tenants, so all the local populous started to refuse to do anything for him, from work to trade. The first boycott was to boycott Charles Boycott.

Soon, we'll all be calling boycotts EAs.............................or Ubisofts.

WHICH REMINDS ME OF ANOTHER JOKE! Why is EA the worst company in America?..................cause Ubisoft is in Europe, *buh dum tss*
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.
Avatar

Back_Lot_Basher

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Canada
Souls: 20,111.00
Posts: 3751
Reputation: 104
Wiki Edits: 13
#17
Forum_Pirate wrote:Who Wrote Andromeda? Chris Schlerf. The guy who wrote Halo 4 and a Destiny expansion. Yeah, brilliant choice for the lead writer, the guy who wrote the worst halo and the notoriously story deficent Destiny. Awesome.


Good grief...that tells me everything I need to know. "Writing" a Destiny expansion is best described as a redundancy. I'm sure ME:A is serviceable enough, but absolutely nothing about it is pulling at my urge to play. I think when it goes into the vault for EA Access, I'll just play in on my Xbox One. Good excuse to renew.
"Don't raise your voice. Improve your argument"
Avatar

GodlessCrom

Caffeinated
Guardian

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:20 am
Souls: 10,417.00
Posts: 771
Reputation: 51
Wiki Edits: 13
#18
Sell out devs known for hiring racist twat Manveer Heir make mediocre dating sim in space. More news at 11.
Belphegor ain't my FatherMother
Avatar

Elhanan

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:19 am
Souls: 1,860.00
Posts: 10952
Reputation: 5
#19
The Dev in question no longer works at Bioware; update at 11:30....

Also, from all reports, I look forward to playing the game; am quite pleased with DAI, and ME:A has many sim features. However, I am concerned about the reports of No Pause; hopefully can use one Control Key to aid with Combat speed.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
Avatar

GodlessCrom

Caffeinated
Guardian

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:20 am
Souls: 10,417.00
Posts: 771
Reputation: 51
Wiki Edits: 13
#20
Elhanan wrote:The Dev in question no longer works at Bioware; update at 11:30....

Also, from all reports, I look forward to playing the game; am quite pleased with DAI, and ME:A has many sim features. However, I am concerned about the reports of No Pause; hopefully can use one Control Key to aid with Combat speed.


He worked on Mass Effect Andromeda, which was the point. You know that, but are content with being a [jar of mustard]. Have fun [at a carnival]. Just use some [words] if you ever plan on speaking to [a bagel] in real life.

Edited by Skarekrow13. This post was wholly inappropriate and despite me giving it the mad lib treatment, note I'll be keeping an eye on this
Belphegor ain't my FatherMother
 2