Discuss lore and secrets of Dark Souls 3
VIP

skarekrow13

Don't Panic

Souls: 295.04
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 459
It's very rare we get anything LEGIBLE in these darn games. Looking at Slabs in the wiki, I was reminded at how clearly they wrote the runes this time.

That got me thinking...wonder if it says anything cool.

I at first thought that perhaps there isn't a translation as these runes aren't always inherently tied to an alphabet. The rune isaz could mean the letter "i" or it could mean "ice" for instance (at least as far as my understanding of them. Also, there are distinct periods and they changed over time. For instance, the top line has the "algiz" rune (looks like the Bloodborne "hunter" rune but rightside up) whereas the bottom row has a similar looking row. However, the curved lines suggest it was from a different era where the "mannaz" rune looks like that (only with curved lines). One translates to "z" usually and the other to "m."

Bit of a difference there.

Anyway, being totally not an expert by any means I took a crack but figured I'd throw it out for help.

What I see is:
Six runes on the top line
Eight runes on the middle (with a chance that the first two are supposed to be one)
Six runes on the bottom line

With that in mind, here's my best shot. A question mark means I can't find anything I think fits at all. A letter with a question mark means a possible match but it didn't seem to fit cleanly. The runes do seem to float between periods as noted above.

æ F Z ? W N?
1 2 3 4 5 6

? S? ? K S i N* S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

i F J M T I
1 2 3 4 5 6

*depending on period, this could be a "k" perhaps

My best guess is that it's mostly nonsense, but the word "SINS" in there is interesting.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

dn1nd

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 0.00
Bank: 36,755.00
Wiki Edits: 112
Quoting myself from this thread to have a reference from all the runes.

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=57201

dn1nd wrote:Jewish Alphabet for reference, it seems different from the Summon Sign.

I thought it was Supposed to be Runes.

What they mean I have no Idea, I remember going through all the Runes in Bloodborne and noticing From had their Own Runes.

Not even the BB runes match the Summon Signs in Dks.

Did a quick comparison of Norse, Alchemy and Lovecraft and they all seem unique from the Summon Sign.

I find the Runes of Dark souls to be unique from Runes we have in the world. I would reallylike to see an alphabet compiled from their runes but we would need to ponder over them and crack their code.

Shop Icon
VIP

skarekrow13

Don't Panic

That's certainly a possibility. Most of the slab is clearly runes. About half were ones I was pretty confident on before consulting anything.

But working through I noticed that some appeared to be backwards or inverted. But then I decided to check different eras for the runes and found a few matches I didn't expect. Even still, there's several that look like they "fit" in regards to style etc. but no one has any matches.

Which does open up the possibility that more than one region's "alphabet" is in play at the same time.

I should clarify a thought I kinda failed to expand on in my first post. I decided to attempt to translate as there's a few instances of repeat runes. The idea being that if they were intended to convey the more symbolic meanings (ice, elk, etc.) then I'd expect symbols not to repeat. Sort of like the runes are carved as blessing. The blessing of isaz or ice would only be transcribed once for instance.

I have two alternative theories that could help this make sense:

It could be a recorded history, in which the runes at the beginning are "older" than the last line. This would explain the changing style. It might not even be a history lesson, but as the slab is passed down, a new "blessing" or rune is added. In the latter case, a coherent message would be unlikely.

Alternatively, it could be sort of like a picture story. Each rune represents the symbolic meaning and is intended to convey a story. So like the first line might have something to do with an ice elk :P

From what I have, that would be:

Yew Tree*, wealth/cattle, elk, ???, joy, need**

???, Sun**, ???, ulcer/torch, Sun, Ice, Need, Sun

Ice, wealth/cattle, year/good year (harvest), man, Tiwaz (a god generally better knows as "Tyr"), Ice

*From quick research Yggdrasill might have been a yew tree. Seems interesting to say the least. However, this rune would need another line at the top (heading down and right) to be that rune for sure. It looks incomplete, but with the lower line the "waz" rune looked closest and it's hard to tell if that top line might have been started. Otherwise, "ice" might be reasonable as well.
**This one also looks to be possibly incomplete or defaced, so "need" is the best guess I have
***This rune could be a separate one or part of the first one on the second line

Assuming I have any of this right, it's interesting thematically. We could have a beginning of "tree," some references to nature, joy and need (driving forces/motivations). This is followed by what could be cyclic use of the word "sun" which as we all should know makes some sense. And it ends some repetition of ice, possible images of bounty (wealth/cattle and good year/harvest) followed by the rune for man, a god known for bravery and wisdom and ending with ice.

EDIT: The "elk" rune later turned into the one for man (and changed letters). It is also associated with life.

EDIT EDIT: The second rune top line might not be "fehu" or "wealth/cattle." It could also be "berkanan" which means "birch" or other tree associations. So potentially two tree references top line
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon
VIP

skarekrow13

Don't Panic

Looking at the second line more closely, it could be:

Ice, Sun, Need, Torch, Sun, Ice, Need, Sun

Based on what we know of lore my imagination easily creates a story:
Ice (or cold) is replacing the Sun (first flame). We need a torch (Gwyn) to reignite the Sun. Ice (again). Need Sun (again). A tale of the cycling ages and those who've thrown themselves in the fire?

EDIT: Cue Foreigner on the radio playing "Cold as Ice."

dn1nd

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Going by the original Lore I'm thikning this might have been tales of what was before Gwyn.

Legendary Slabs are the heirlooms of a
nameless blacksmith deity, who forged the
weapons of other Gods. Weapons forged with
this slab become rare legendary weapons

It's hard to see but the runes were also present in the DS1 titanite Slab.

Could this be the fire hint of what happened before the Age of Ancients and Reinforce the Meta Cycle theory?

Shop Icon
VIP

skarekrow13

Don't Panic

I've never tried on those, because of how hard they are to read.

But the DS1 and DS2 slab (at least on our wiki) use the same graphic. Notably, they're different runes than the slab for DS3.

One that's easy to note is the rune "Gebo" or "Gyfu" which looks like an "X." That one means "gift" or later "spear" which both make tons of sense on a slab :D

dn1nd

Compulsory Poster
Champion

From what I could see it at least starts the same. I'd have to start a new game and kill the asylum demon again to see it on a bigger screen.

Shop Icon

JohnnyHarpoon

Revived
Savior

Souls: 175.00
Bank: 14,730.50
Wiki Edits: 22
very interested in this. keep up the good work
"We have no tomorrow, but there's still hope for the future."
VIP

skarekrow13

Don't Panic

Turns out I had all the slabs in both DS and DS2.

Sadly, I can't get a better picture than the wiki has. I think SotFS reused the exact picture asset and it looked just as bad.

Also, hiring square to bring up the item description only gives a picture with it in DS3. That zoom really helped above.

Wonder if PC users can get a better shot.

I did find one awesome thing though...

All the regular titanite seems to have a single etching as well.

A few look like runes for sure