Anything without a home!
1 
Reply  
VIP
Avatar

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:42 am
Souls: 42,974.50
Posts: 6541
Reputation: 668
Wiki Edits: 561
#1
Let's talk a bit about the oldies and goodies you wouldn't mind seeing rise from the dead.

Personally, I'd love another Ogre Battle entry. Epic story, great characters, great gameplay, and lovely world setting. It's a shame to see an all-around original series such as this die such a quiet, lonely death.

And King's Field, of course. If you ask me, there's no reason at all why KF should've been shelved like it has. The success of Demon's Souls and later Dark Souls shows that people still like the idea of it, if nothing else.
Avatar

Nahztek-Shadowpath

Insomniac
Sinner

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:39 pm
Souls: 5,828.50
Posts: 1001
Reputation: 42
#2
You mean brand new entries right? No remaster?

I was personally devastated when I realized WoW was killing off the Warcraft rts series. I played the first one when I was 15 and stayed with the series all the way into the MMO.
Then the MMO started killing off everything. It gives the impression that they never plan to revisit the actual RTS side of the series. Which is messed up because that's where it started.

I'd like a new Tenchu: Stealth Assassins.
I loved the first two but never messed with later releases.
I'd like to see somebody like From work on this. To my understanding, Miyazaki worked on the first Tenchu in some form or fashion.

I'd like a proper ending to the Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver series. It kind of just ended.
For years I thought it was another cliffhanger and later read that it was finished.
Like.... how??!?


Those are my 3 majors.
Avatar

Nahztek-Shadowpath

Insomniac
Sinner

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:39 pm
Souls: 5,828.50
Posts: 1001
Reputation: 42
#3
I never played any Kings Field.
Did you play these before Souls were a thing?
Avatar

Rakuyo

Caffeinated
Guardian

Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:35 am
Souls: 39,699.00
Posts: 776
Reputation: 15
Wiki Edits: 7743
#4
Nahztek-Shadowpath wrote:You mean brand new entries right? No remaster?

I was personally devastated when I realized WoW was killing off the Warcraft rts series. I played the first one when I was 15 and stayed with the series all the way into the MMO.
Then the MMO started killing off everything. It gives the impression that they never plan to revisit the actual RTS side of the series. Which is messed up because that's where it started.

I'd like a new Tenchu: Stealth Assassins.
I loved the first two but never messed with later releases.
I'd like to see somebody like From work on this. To my understanding, Miyazaki worked on the first Tenchu in some form or fashion.

I'd like a proper ending to the Legacy of Kain/Soul Reaver series. It kind of just ended.
For years I thought it was another cliffhanger and later read that it was finished.
Like.... how??!?


Those are my 3 majors.


I would also like a "reboot" of the Legacy of Kain series.

Still, what I'd like the most is a next-gen remake of the first Soul Reaver game.

Finishing the series has potential, but I feel the story has already been stretched quite a bit by previous games.

I'd laud a series finale, but only if they intend to do it right.
Those who seek dark, will always find it.

Bonaduce80

Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:07 am
Souls: 256.50
Posts: 33
Reputation: 1
#5
If we are talking of childhood darlings, Street of Rage or Story of Thor/Legend if Oasis would be very welcome. Anything with music by Yuzo Koshiro, really.
Avatar

Nahztek-Shadowpath

Insomniac
Sinner

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:39 pm
Souls: 5,828.50
Posts: 1001
Reputation: 42
#6
I remember reading about how Soul Reaver was supposed to be much longer with more mechanics or something to that effect, but budgeting and all cut corners.

A true reboot with all of those missing features would be amazing.
Avatar

Shadeon

Obsessed
Commander

Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:18 pm
Souls: 4,179.50
Posts: 699
Reputation: 68
Wiki Edits: 9
#7
Breath of Fire & Megaman Legends.

Capcom, you damned quitters.
Avatar

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: International waters
Souls: 22,801.50
Posts: 11873
Reputation: 384
Wiki Edits: 18
#8
Jet Set Radio. Jet Grind Radio and Jet Set Radio Future (more so the latter) were less about precision platforming (which I hate and is also what most platformers are about) and more about the sheer joy of an interesting way to get around and interesting places to get around in, making it basically the only "platformer" series I like without caveats. (I like 2d sonic, for example, but I only actually like the first 1/2 to 2/3rds of the games, after that the precision platforming really kicks in and I don't like them anymore.)

Skies of Arcadia. Even though it's not really a series considering it's 1 game and an enhanced port of said game, it's still my favorite game. It might as well be titled : Everything that's fun about JRPGs, now featuring sky pirates.

I would say Chrono games, but I'm 100% positive that modern SE would screw it up.

I don't know if I'd call 2009 old, but I liked Midnight Club too. It's the open world racing of Burnout Paradise, without all the unfortunate design of open world racing in Burnout paradise
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush
Avatar

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 12,005.00
Bank: 0.00
Posts: 5251
Reputation: 256
Wiki Edits: 3
#9
A lot of games I would want back are more recent, but for me:

Metalarms: Never continued after the first game, and left on a bit of a cliffhanger. The developers even had a whole trilogy written so they say. Metalarms was like a blend of DOOM's fast paced run and gun combat and level exploration, Ratchet and Clank's crazy weapons and humor, and Call of Duty's military themes with a robot planet twist. Remaster the original, then make the sequels that the devs wanted.

Watch on youtube.com



Medievil: A comedy horror hack and slash classic. Was a big part in gaming during my childhood. Would like a reboot or a spiritual successor to it.
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.

Bonaduce80

Newbie
Newbie

Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:07 am
Souls: 256.50
Posts: 33
Reputation: 1
#10
Nahztek-Shadowpath wrote:I remember reading about how Soul Reaver was supposed to be much longer with more mechanics or something to that effect, but budgeting and all cut corners.

A true reboot with all of those missing features would be amazing.


I remember a quite enlightening series of pieces by Pitchfork on the Socks Make People Sexy website about the Legacy of Kain series. His articles about Mother, Final Fantasy, Silent Hill and Chrono Trigger/Cross are also very interesting and amusing to read.

EldritchImagination wrote:Medievil: A comedy horror hack and slash classic. Was a big part in gaming during my childhood. Would like a reboot or a spiritual successor to it.


I loved Medievil and thought the concept and character were great. Alas, my motion sickness with early 3D PSX games made it impossible for me to play it for more than a couple of stages. Maximo for PS2 always felt connected to it, although it shares mostly DNA with Ghosts and Ghouls/Goblins.
1