Discuss all and any games, devices and platforms!
VIP

Castielle

The Hand
The Hand of God

Masochist

Souls: 199,673.02
Wiki Edits: 36770
The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

I interviewed Torment: Tides of Numenera‘s Creative Lead Colin McComb from developer inXile Entertainment last June, and became an avid fan without having played its predecessor, Planescape: Torment. The way he spoke about the game conveyed a strong sense of passion and tradition. You could tell he felt honored and privileged to be at the helm of one of the most anticipated sequels of all time, and he was more concerned with disappointing the game's many fans than making the game a fiscal success. Colin is very much the sort of person you could sit with for days talking about philosophy, theology and ...
Shop IconShop IconShop Icon

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 7,766.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 3
I've been interested in this game recently. Not because of the game itself (not my kind of RPG), but because of the controversy. There's a certain schadenfreude to watching the more haughty fans of these kinds of cRPGs who boast about how these are "true RPG experiences" who can't find any new games to meet their standards, and bicker about how older games were far better, and that is how it should be, and all modern RPGs are bad, etc, etc.

Looking at your review, and looking at this review conveys the sharp contrast in opinion.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10572

Then again, the people on that forum aren't the most reasonable kind of gamers.
I AM THE KING OF BASTARDS, LORD BOMBASTARD BACKSTABBINGTON JERKSHIRE ASSHOLSTEIN VON TROLLER THE THIRD
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 127,618.49
Bank: 7,058.71
Wiki Edits: 17608
I believe in reviews from people I know / follow / generally agree with, but in the end they are all just opinions.

For the people using the forum here, it is more likely they will agree with Cas than with people browsing something like rpg codex that focuses on the old-school thing alone. I am kinda happy I do not have that strong push of nostalgia that makes me feel no modern game satisfies me. It must be a very frustrating way to game.
Fextralife.com
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Fexelea wrote:I believe in reviews from people I know / follow / generally agree with, but in the end they are all just opinions.

For the people using the forum here, it is more likely they will agree with Cas than with people browsing something like rpg codex that focuses on the old-school thing alone. I am kinda happy I do not have that strong push of nostalgia that makes me feel no modern game satisfies me. It must be a very frustrating way to game.

I couldn't imagine feeling that way. To me it's like having one favorite video game. THERE'S JUST SO MANY THAT ARE MY FAVORITE! I figure the people who complain about this probably don't play anything made in the 21st century.
I AM THE KING OF BASTARDS, LORD BOMBASTARD BACKSTABBINGTON JERKSHIRE ASSHOLSTEIN VON TROLLER THE THIRD

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 22,097.50
Wiki Edits: 18
Having actually played several of the older RPGs, I can say quite confidently that Torment: Tides of Numenera (and the rest of the modern cRPGs) are often just as good, and in many ways better. Just as an example, the older games tend to use spinoffs of D&D 2nd edition rules, and 2nd edition is garbage, full of confusing and irrational restrictions both in and out of combat. In that way something like Pillars of Eternity is better, with clearer and clearly explained systems that offer more choice in playstyle within a class, allowing you to do something atypical of the older games and continue roleplaying your clumsy rogue or stupid muscle wizard in combat without completely gimping the character, and without sacrificing system complexity to manage it.

If you'll notice, there is very little actual criticism in that review, and much of that is stupid criticism. "The solution to quests are almost always near by." Well no **** sherlock you just said the map was fairly small (which fyi, is neither a good nor a bad thing on it's own.) "The quest journal is patronizing and offers hints." Ok, don't read it. You don't have to use it and can reasonably figure out everything yourself, that's what I'm doing, it's not the end of the world that hints are there for people who need or want them, and unlike many modern games the quests are actually designed to be completed without the hand holding. "It's loaded with descriptions of things you can see on screen." Yeah, uh, sweetie, I don't know if you noticed but isometric cRPGs aren't exactly the last bastion of detailed texture and animation work, they add a whole lot of detail to the mental image of the things being described. You see what I'm getting at I hope. Not that the person doesn't have a right to their opinion or that none of their complaints are valid (edit: for example the combat is pretty mediocre for the reasons that were described in the review, among others,) but the nostalgia blinders are readily apparent.

The quick and dirty way to tell legitimate complaints (wether you agree with them or not) from things like the main body of that review, is too look at the explainations. If it can be explained why and how thing X is a problem, (say, a voiced protagonist) and if it can't be addressed and dismissed with 1 sentance, then the complaint is more likely to be legitimate. If it can't be, or if said explainations say "it is X" without saying why, less likely to be legitimate.

I really, really dislike people who do crap like that, because they make those of us with actual detailed complaints look bad and our complaints look like they're not valid by association, it's all just dismissed as nostalgia (even when it's people like me making said complaints, who didn't actually play or even know of the older games until after the newer ones because I didn't have a PC.)
Last edited by Forum_Pirate on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush
VIP

Emergence

Sovereign
Jovian

Souls: 140,275.00
Wiki Edits: 25344
The irony of that rpgcodex review is it suffers from the same meandering, verbal blathering it accuses the game of. To me, writing like that is just self serving content that is meant to show off how clever one is. Brevity is the soul of wit.
This site is a bonfire. Thank you all for kindling it. "No rest for the wikid."- the eldritch wisdom of Skarekrow13

Forum Guidelines / Wiki Hub / Fextralife Blog / Write for the Blog / Join VIP
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Forum_Pirate wrote: You see what I'm getting at I hope. Not that the person doesn't have a right to their opinion or that none of their complaints are valid, but the nostalgia blinders are readily apparent.

I know. That was my whole point. Gamers so blinded by nostalgia that they can't enjoy anything different than what was made decades ago. A lot of people saying it isn't nearly as good as the older games, some saying it literally isn't even an RPG, and plenty going on about how the game is a betrayal of the fans and the old games. Plenty of flame wars going on for those who fancy recreationally reading such toxic, self-destructive bickering.

Nahztek-Shadowpath

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 3,824.50
EldritchImagination wrote:
Forum_Pirate wrote: You see what I'm getting at I hope. Not that the person doesn't have a right to their opinion or that none of their complaints are valid, but the nostalgia blinders are readily apparent.

I know. That was my whole point. Gamers so blinded by nostalgia that they can't enjoy anything different than what was made decades ago. A lot of people saying it isn't nearly as good as the older games, some saying it literally isn't even an RPG, and plenty going on about how the game is a betrayal of the fans and the old games. Plenty of flame wars going on for those who fancy recreationally reading such toxic, self-destructive bickering.

It's ridiculous. That said, video games are near the bottom of the list of things I care to complain about and get bent out of shape over. They aren't obligatory. It's entertainment.

But yeah, this game looks awesome. I would already own it if I wasn't in the process of changing jobs and trying to be smart with my money.

abraksil

Casual
Convict

Souls: 308.00
I put this one on the top of my pile of shame :D :D :D but seriously I have to find some time to play it
VIP

Castielle

The Hand
The Hand of God

Masochist

Souls: 199,673.02
Wiki Edits: 36770
Torment is a solid game. I know some people are unhappy with it as it didn't live up to their expectations, but since I never played the original I had none and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cas
Dear Americans,

If you don't respect the Democratic process when your candidate loses then you don't have Democracy...
Shop IconShop IconShop Icon