Wiki: Demon's Souls Wiki

zgillet

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 496.50
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 9
Hi all,

So I finally picked up a PS3 and Demon's Souls after beating the crap out of all other Soulsborne games repeatedly and I wanted to start a thread to give my unique perspective of going back in time.

First thing... I was SO CLOSE to beating the tutorial boss... grrr that made me so mad. I started as a Hunter and ended up leveling the Bastard Sword I believe (heavy sword attacks in good arcs - little slow but managable). I'm leveling up straightforwardly with hardstone instead of specializing - it seems to be doing okay damage-wise. As of now I've cleared all the starting areas and one more in Boletaria castle (or whatever its called).

So impressions:

-The saving is so inconsistent compared to Dark Souls. I've lost tons of progress quitting properly as well as cheating death in human form another time. Now I wait a whole minute, make sure the icon is not there before quitting.

-I miss Estus. I knew about grass coming in but it's still a pretty broken system.

-Endurance is WAY more important as it does so much more than in DaS.

-Item burden is the most annoying thing in the history of video games.

-I feel like there is more of a set way to go. I learned very quickly that Valley of Defilement was not a good place to go after Boletarian Castle. You can really tell when you are just not leveled/upgraded enough to take on an area. Also, unless I'm just missing hidden walls or I'm dumb, many of the bosses take a while to get to and there aren't shortcuts. Luckily I've been manhandling the bosses because I could see myself getting frustrated.

-Storm beasts are ******* and need to be shot.

-Parrying is incredibly easy, while backstabs are much harder to figure where to be on some enemies (rolly skellies in particular).

-The bosses are much more gimmicky in this game. It's not necessarily bad, but there haven't been many "just you and me, no BS" boss fights so far - only the Armor Spider and the poop monster come close.

-World tendency makes no sense.

-I'm really happy they streamlined upgrading and materials in DaS. This game's upgrading is a bit of a mess.

Some of the differences I like, some of them I don't. It's still a great game but they definitely improved upon it with Dark Souls (which in my mind is the pinnacle of the series and a masterpiece of design).

Let me know what you think! :cheers:

Byrgenwerth... Byrgenwerth...
Blasphemous murderers... Blood-crazed fiends.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

LostMyHeadache

Revived
Savior

Souls: 67,978.50
I've been looking forward to hearing what you thought!

And I know you know the titles well enough to do an objective comparison, be it good or bad, not just "Ooooh this seems annoying, I hate it!".

As you grow more powerful and your build / gear come together and get more powerful, I believe your satisfaction with the game will increase!

Oh...have you encountered much Online activity so far?

zgillet

Insomniac
Sinner

LostMyHeadache wrote:I've been looking forward to hearing what you thought!

And I know you know the titles well enough to do an objective comparison, be it good or bad, not just "Ooooh this seems annoying, I hate it!".

As you grow more powerful and your build / gear come together and get more powerful, I believe your satisfaction with the game will increase!

There is actually a surprisingly high amount of players and messages. I haven't summoned and don't plan to though - it's not my style.

Speaking of messages - they are WAY more helpful and much less trolly.

Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

LostMyHeadache

Revived
Savior

Souls: 67,978.50
zgillet wrote:
LostMyHeadache wrote:I've been looking forward to hearing what you thought!

There is actually a surprisingly high amount of players and messages. I haven't summoned and don't plan to though - it's not my style.

Speaking of messages - they are WAY more helpful and much less trolly.

Cool to hear!

You should try some online stuff at some point, though, maybe, before DS3!

At the very least, do some Red Stone invading at the very start of 4-1 and you should get some decent duels!

dn1nd

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 0.00
Bank: 38,521.00
Wiki Edits: 114
Yes Item Burden is Evil.

I found Quality builds to be the best in this game, and I am typically a str/fth guy.

You can cheese almost every boss with a bow, Except Dragon God and Storm King.

Flamelurker can be tricky until you figure out his timing.

To fully experience World tendency you need to play through 3 times.

Shop Icon

zgillet

Insomniac
Sinner

dn1nd wrote:Yes Item Burden is Evil.

I found Quality builds to be the best in this game, and I am typically a str/fth guy.

You can cheese almost every boss with a bow, Except Dragon God and Storm King.

Flamelurker can be tricky until you figure out his timing.

To fully experience World tendency you need to play through 3 times.

So far I've been heading towards quality. I'm upgrading the Kilij on the quality path, tho I'm not that high on it - my Bastard Sword just hits harder.

s73v3h

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: Locked
Great game, takes alot of risks , and as a proof of concept for modern fromsoft games it has some rough edges
(its not like DaS healing system is perfect, having abundant humanity item healing)

level design, enemy design/placement, art direction and alot of the music are amazing

DeS is a memorable game. And has enough of its own unique concepts to stand on its own.

As a DeS player before DaS came out, DaS wasnt really that great to me at launch, but after a massive patch life DaS got along with dlc, it got alot of polish/tuning i wish DeS got.
VIP

skarekrow13

(Many Other Functions)

Souls: 177.04
Wiki Edits: 459
You can TOTALLY cheese Storm King with a bow.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

dn1nd

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 0.00
Bank: 38,521.00
Wiki Edits: 114
zgillet wrote:
So far I've been heading towards quality. I'm upgrading the Kilij on the quality path, tho I'm not that high on it - my Bastard Sword just hits harder.

I loved the Kilij in that game. Wish it was in newer titles.

skarekrow13 wrote:You can TOTALLY cheese Storm King with a bow.

But using the Stormruler is quicker.

Shop Icon

zgillet

Insomniac
Sinner

So far the only enemy I've bow-cheesed is the big magic firing blob of swords.