Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

malquisedesc

Souls: 150.00
Most probably an stupid question but I can't find an answer.

If it has already been answered or solved I apologize.

What are suposed to be the souls of the lords? I know that Gwyn, Nito and Izalith found them but, what did they found? Where do they come from? To whom did they belong before?

And the same goes for the Dark Souls that the Pygmy finds.

Thanks!
VIP

skarekrow13

Don't Panic

Souls: 285.04
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 459
Great question. Like many questions in these games, there's no answer that can be definitively stated to be the "correct" one. It's up to the player to piece together fragments of evidence to come up with something on their own.

There's probably tons of conversations that either circle this question or directly answer it.

Personally, I don't know if there is a direct answer to this. My belief is that the world Dark Souls takes place in, is akin to a purgatory in which the major characters are all doomed to play their part over and over. The role in the play can be transferred perhaps through the exchange of the key souls. So the best answer I'd have is that the souls were leftover from the last beings that played their parts.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

malquisedesc

Souls: 150.00
I have thought that, maybe, there are some dragon's souls, as it seems is the only alive that was on the age of ancients.

And maybe the dark soul is something that came from the Abiss, and the 4 great ones who claimed the souls were some Abiss inhabitants who became "full" when absobing the souls (as oposite of going hollow when losing them).

PlayerSlayer120

Obsessed
Commander

Souls: 2,261.00
Bank: 0.00
The Lord Souls are just greater power found by the hollows in the First Flame. They came from the First Flame. The Dark Soul is merely a fourth "lord soul" found by another hollow.

dn1nd

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 0.00
Bank: 36,755.00
Wiki Edits: 112
I think it was stated that the Dragon's didn't have souls in Dark Souls 1. Other than that since the souls are connected to the fire it could be the essence of the flame.

Or many other things as well.

I'll post a few threads that mention this so You have some reading. They are moistly in the dark Souls 2 Archives since we use the lore of both games.

t41704/first-flame--souls-and-humanity/

t40184/the-cyclic-theory-relating-to-dark-souls-1/

t38797/royalty-manus-and-his-daughters/

t39357/new-take-on-linking-the-flame/

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=40443&p=692439#p692439

Shop Icon

Nick3111997

Souls: 92.00
Wiki Edits: 4
malquisedesc wrote:Most probably an stupid question but I can't find an answer.

If it has already been answered or solved I apologize.

What are suposed to be the souls of the lords? I know that Gwyn, Nito and Izalith found them but, what did they found? Where do they come from? To whom did they belong before?

And the same goes for the Dark Souls that the Pygmy finds.

Thanks!

The Lord Souls were found inside the First Flame. Where they originally came from and if anyone owned them prior to the 3 Lords is unknown.

Thothtuss

Souls: 70.00
I think this question can be answered by first asking what souls are in the game. The existence of souls in beings presupposes an origin, unless they appear out of nowhere (which they very well can!). The specifics of the genesis is difficult for me to discern, but the best assumption I can make is that souls of the beings of Lordran in the age of fire arose out of fire itself. You will notice a striking similarity of the form of souls to a flame (glowing mass with a crown of flame-like tongues).

A more significant point is that the prologue provides us with information that states beings arose out of dark, and dark itself is a byproduct of the disparity caused by the emergence of fire. We know they found the lord souls in the flame so it can be assumed that lesser souls can be found in those ancient flames. I can only deduce the flames out of which various disparities arose acts as a sort of primordial soup from which all souls originated. This then begs the question: where did the flames come from? One remote possibility come to mind: the dragons. This can solely be reinforced by the nature of dragons (as fire-breathers) in popular legends but nothing else!

I have only finished the game once so this is all I can come up with.

dn1nd

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 0.00
Bank: 36,755.00
Wiki Edits: 112
It was said best by Saulduin in Dark Souls 2. The curse of Life is the Curse of Want. I think disparity came because someone or something wanted it so and badly enough. The change caused the downfall of the Dragons and rise of man.

Shop Icon