Discuss the Forums, the blog and Wikis

twilightwarwolf

Revived
Savior

Souls: 5.00
Bank: 996.00
So i'm not sure about others but i personally am not a great writer and while i feel i have an idea i know i need a bit of help getting there....So i made this thread to help share info on how to write an article and tips on improving them should you have an idea or already have one up. I'll try to keep it up t date by checking up on it and adding the tips and ways to write an article on this post. Thanks in advance for any help given and i hope this helps others as well in their articles.

Info/tips given later on
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Castielle wrote:Tips from a noob writer/editor:

If you type slower than you can think, just get all the ideas down as fast as you can in a loose format.

If you are newish to writing articles, DON'T worry too much about formatting. The editors and I will make sure it looks professional, we're more interested in good content.

Reread your article after you've written it from the "preview" page so you can have a better idea how it will flow and you can change what you wish after.

If you submit your article for review and realize you have further content you can PM myself, Fex, Emergence or Skare and we'll put it back in drafts so you can work on it.

You're article can be edited after it's published so don't be shy if you'd like something changed even then. Everything can be fixed, nothing is permanent.

Don't worry about annoying the editors with requests. We want you to be happy with YOUR article.

I'm sure I'll add more when I have time...

Cas

Fexelea wrote:How I think articles

1. Idea = Why am I writing this, what do I want to say?

News piece = Info that I find interesting
Review = What I would like to know about a game/book/whatever before I buy
Preview = Upcoming game features or summaries, information, links
Recipe = How to convey steps well
Random funny stuff = How to display enough without too much

2. Presentation

Introduction = A small paragraph or a part1 of a long article, explaining what you will be reading about and how I came up with this
Exposition = Ideas and reasoning are thrown into the mix and explained
Conclusion = What I take away from the above

3. Imagery = How do I decorate this

4. Dialogue = What would I like to hear about from audience

Those four steps are very broad but I think they overall display how I write. It's always better to try and keep your mind to what your conclusion is, so you can explain how you get there without ranting.

skarekrow13 wrote:Love the idea. As for tips I can give some that I used to have to tell people writing statements for me.

-Most common worry: "I don't know how to write that."
My response: "Sure you do. You just said it. Write exactly what you just said. If you get stuck, just say (out loud) again."
-Very common problem: "Whoops, I forgot to put ___ in"
Just toss it in there. There was only one Shakespeare and we don't need that anyway. As long as it's on record we're good. This is especially true here. Like Cas said (since this is a lot like one of his) it can be edited. If you're worried about flow or prettiness just ask for a hand.
-"That's not relevant is it?"
Yeah it probably is. If it came to mind while you were writing it's usually valuable. Put it down and it can be changed or removed later if necessary.
-"My hands are starting to hurt"
Too bad. Give me your darn story already. Type through the pain. It builds character. OK this isn't a real tip. But it does lead to the next one.
-This comes from my mother teaching me study habits. You'll run into problems on occasion. Fatigue, writer's block, zombies or something....
Take a five minute break. A REAL break too. If at any point you think about the thing you're taking a break from start the five minutes over. If you're stuck, continuing may just keep the stuck thought process going. By having a real interruption you just might come back with a new perspective.
Last edited by twilightwarwolf on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:51 am, edited 7 times in total.
]

Leader of the Redeemers check us out sometime t26599/redeemers-of-the-night-official-thread/

And check out the event! Forum wide! p638918//#p638918
VIP

Castielle

The Hand
The Hand of God

Masochist

Souls: 12,053.02
Wiki Edits: 35688
Tips from a noob writer/editor:

If you type slower than you can think, just get all the ideas down as fast as you can in a loose format.

If you are newish to writing articles, DON'T worry too much about formatting. The editors and I will make sure it looks professional, we're more interested in good content.

Reread your article after you've written it from the "preview" page so you can have a better idea how it will flow and you can change what you wish after.

If you submit your article for review and realize you have further content you can PM myself, Fex, Emergence or Skare and we'll put it back in drafts so you can work on it.

You're article can be edited after it's published so don't be shy if you'd like something changed even then. Everything can be fixed, nothing is permanent.

Don't worry about annoying the editors with requests. We want you to be happy with YOUR article.

I'm sure I'll add more when I have time...

Cas
Dear Americans,

If you don't respect the Democratic process when your candidate loses then you don't have Democracy...
Shop IconShop IconShop Icon
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 29,145.49
Bank: 6,919.71
Wiki Edits: 17041
How I think articles

1. Idea = Why am I writing this, what do I want to say?

News piece = Info that I find interesting
Review = What I would like to know about a game/book/whatever before I buy
Preview = Upcoming game features or summaries, information, links
Recipe = How to convey steps well
Random funny stuff = How to display enough without too much

2. Presentation

Introduction = A small paragraph or a part1 of a long article, explaining what you will be reading about and how I came up with this
Exposition = Ideas and reasoning are thrown into the mix and explained
Conclusion = What I take away from the above

3. Imagery = How do I decorate this

4. Dialogue = What would I like to hear about from audience

Those four steps are very broad but I think they overall display how I write. It's always better to try and keep your mind to what your conclusion is, so you can explain how you get there without ranting.
Fextralife.com
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon
Totally awesome thread concept! A win-win for all of our potential writers...and you, my friend! :thumbs up:

twilightwarwolf

Revived
Savior

Souls: 5.00
Bank: 996.00
Yep and thank you for the rep and support Ahho ^^ Hope to get more so it will be easy and everyone can have an article of their own :biggrin:
]

Leader of the Redeemers check us out sometime t26599/redeemers-of-the-night-official-thread/

And check out the event! Forum wide! p638918//#p638918
VIP

skarekrow13

Don't Panic

Souls: 349.04
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 446
Love the idea. As for tips I can give some that I used to have to tell people writing statements for me.

-Most common worry: "I don't know how to write that."
My response: "Sure you do. You just said it. Write exactly what you just said. If you get stuck, just say (out loud) again."
-Very common problem: "Whoops, I forgot to put ___ in"
Just toss it in there. There was only one Shakespeare and we don't need that anyway. As long as it's on record we're good. This is especially true here. Like Cas said (since this is a lot like one of his) it can be edited. If you're worried about flow or prettiness just ask for a hand.
-"That's not relevant is it?"
Yeah it probably is. If it came to mind while you were writing it's usually valuable. Put it down and it can be changed or removed later if necessary.
-"My hands are starting to hurt"
Too bad. Give me your darn story already. Type through the pain. It builds character. OK this isn't a real tip. But it does lead to the next one.
-This comes from my mother teaching me study habits. You'll run into problems on occasion. Fatigue, writer's block, zombies or something....
Take a five minute break. A REAL break too. If at any point you think about the thing you're taking a break from start the five minutes over. If you're stuck, continuing may just keep the stuck thought process going. By having a real interruption you just might come back with a new perspective.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon