Dedicated to digging into the game's lore. Bring your thinking caps.

dn1nd

Compulsory Poster
Champion

Souls: 0.00
Bank: 38,140.00
Wiki Edits: 114
That would be one Very Larfge and Ugly Hydra

Shop Icon

Broker

Regular
Battle Tested

Souls: 686.00
Given how much work goes into the lore it just seems weird that there are 8 but only two are ever really seen or mentioned. It seems more likely that (like Andre) the odd aspects of these characters are related to their previous roles in the game while it was in development.

n3t

Casual
Convict

Souls: 443.00
Primordial serpents are very interesting in the Dark Souls lore.
First of all by the word "primordial" which means "first to happen in time" or "original". Meaning that they were among the first creations on the world since ever.
When DS1 begins, the narration begins with "in the age of ancients". This means the world is older than the story of ds1 and the serpents most likely did excist before that time.

We know that the other serpents including Frampt are willing to serve a dark lord if must be, or do we?
We see them bow and tell the dark lord that they are at his/her service, but would it not be in the serpent's nature to betray him? Wouldn't frampt betray him by looking for undead who may unseat the lord and link the fire once again?

How else do you explain that the cycles have been coming and going every since ds1? Surely a dark lord with 8 primordial serpents at his service couldn't possibly be defeated so easily without someone betraying him?

My theory is that the serpents are actually immortal (perhaps invulnerable, they never show anything but annoyance when you harm them) and are playing a game with the world.

Kaathe and Frampt are on opposing sides, yet never seem to try to harm the other. I take from this that they're playing a "game of thrones" to just keep the world going. I can imagine how boring the age of ancients was to them, the dragons had no goals, so no reason to do anything. Nothing to manipulate.
But with Dark vs Light, there's entertainment at all times. Serpents are ruthless manipulators who basicly just keep the cycle going.

I think they are old and strong, and I think their influence has kept the cycle of Ds1/Ds2/Ds3 going.
Last edited by n3t on Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

n3t

Casual
Convict

Souls: 443.00
Accidental double post, sorry about that.