Discuss the Forums, the blog and Wikis

BobTheHollow

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,421.50
Wiki Edits: 1
Hi, sorry for the inconvenient barrage of inquiries.

So, I noticed a post with "Waiting for translator - (needs update)" in my translation interface. Does that mean it doesn't have a translator or that it's waiting for its translator to finish its job? If it's the former, could I simply jump in and do the translation myself? I do not play the game in question. Could I leave specific names untranslated, such as the names of the cards?

Also:
-I've submitted a post for review, but that is actually the first of a three part piece. Would it be ok for me to reference future articles even if they have not yet been submitted?
-How long does it usually take for a post to go through review?
-Should I indicate somehow that a particular post is ready or is it assumed to be ready once it's submitted? I didn't see a save button so I save by submitting... I'd like to mention that there will be more pieces but it's otherwise finished. Still, it would be good to know, just for future reference.
-If I ever have more questions (hopefully not), is it better to write an editor directly or to create a topic here?

Thanks. And sorry. And thanks. ^^
youTube.com/BobTheHollow - DkS3 Lore, PvP and Music Videos

BobTheHollow

Addicted
First Warden

Oh great, there was a save draft button that I missed somehow... well... I added a bit at the beginning of the post mentioning the other posts to come and I'd like to know if that's ok. Or if there's a more customary way of doing that.

PrimeraEspada91

Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Souls: 13,990.50
Wiki Edits: 1388
So, I noticed a post with "Waiting for translator - (needs update)" in my translation interface. Does that mean it doesn't have a translator or that it's waiting for its translator to finish its job? If it's the former, could I simply jump in and do the translation myself? I do not play the game in question. Could I leave specific names untranslated, such as the names of the cards?

*No idea since i dont use the translator part.

Also:
-I've submitted a post for review, but that is actually the first of a three part piece. Would it be ok for me to reference future articles even if they have not yet been submitted?
* Could reference other works through hyperlinks and the sorts; depends on what youre trying to do.

-How long does it usually take for a post to go through review? depends on piece and overall amount of pieces that are slated for release or need to be slated. you can check the calendar and see it when it should go out
-Should I indicate somehow that a particular post is ready or is it assumed to be ready once it's submitted? I didn't see a save button so I save by submitting... I'd like to mention that there will be more pieces but it's otherwise finished. Still, it would be good to know, just for future reference.
* usually theres a save draft feature and then you submit for review when your done

-If I ever have more questions (hopefully not), is it better to write an editor directly or to create a topic here?
*depends: i try to anwer what i can on forum. and i believe fex is doing the blog atm so you can DM her.
Thanks. And sorry. And thanks. ^^
What could have been, what should have been, is nothing more than a feverishly sweet dream left unshared.
Shop IconShop Icon

BobTheHollow

Addicted
First Warden

Thank you kindly. ^^b
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 247,699.49
Bank: 7,418.71
Wiki Edits: 18834
Hi there! Sorry for the delay to get back to you, we're working on some changes on the site and it's consuming a lot of my time.

"So, I noticed a post with "Waiting for translator - (needs update)" in my translation interface. Does that mean it doesn't have a translator or that it's waiting for its translator to finish its job? If it's the former, could I simply jump in and do the translation myself? I do not play the game in question. Could I leave specific names untranslated, such as the names of the cards?"
Yes you should jump into the translating thing if it says waiting. That's the message that only translators see. Once you take it over you'll be the assigned translator
And yes you can avoid naming cards if you don't know them, etc.
Also let me know if you're interested in translating any piece of content (news etc) that is published and doesn't have the language you want. I can add it :)

"I've submitted a post for review, but that is actually the first of a three part piece. Would it be ok for me to reference future articles even if they have not yet been submitted?"
The editor will add the links to and from the articles as they are published

"How long does it usually take for a post to go through review?"
Varies depending on how many other articles or news happen and what congestion looks like. This week, for example, I was working on getting out ESO DLC news and finishing Cambodia trip thingy so it clogged things up.

"Should I indicate somehow that a particular post is ready or is it assumed to be ready once it's submitted? I didn't see a save button so I save by submitting... I'd like to mention that there will be more pieces but it's otherwise finished. Still, it would be good to know, just for future reference."
I think you found the draft - and the "submit for review" buttons. If you didn't let me know!
You can let us know if you are planning on more, or mention it in the article with as well.

"If I ever have more questions (hopefully not), is it better to write an editor directly or to create a topic here?"
Sometimes topics here will get answered faster by community members with experience, and they also serve as easy and searchable answers. So I like the idea of topics. Feel free to PM me if you need!
Fextralife.com
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

BobTheHollow

Addicted
First Warden

Hey, no worries about the delay and thank you very much for your answers.

I think all is well, at the moment. I'd only ask, as a side note, that you or any editor would present me with a review of sorts, about my posts (whether they're approved or not). If at all possible. So far, the extent of my writing experience has been on lorehunting only and I'd greatly appreciate any tips to improve my pieces. If you have any.

About the translation bit, I don't really access the site in any other language other than English, so I wouldn't know what's not available in my own language (Portuguese). But if you have anything that you'd like translated, just lemme know.

Thanks again.

PrimeraEspada91

Chat Moderator
Chat Moderator

Souls: 13,990.50
Wiki Edits: 1388
well if i recall right as long as pieces arent politically, plagiarized etc let me link this: You can write about whatever you like, as long as it doesn’t promote racism, sexism, homophobic views, hate speech, or bigotry of any kind. Also note

You will provide accurate information with proper attribution of your sources as appropriate.
You will not, under any circumstance, plagiarize.
We also tend to shy away from biased articles relating to politics or religion. To clarify, an article about net neutrality laws would be an acceptable and valid topic, but an article about how people should vote for “x” candidate or why “z” elected official is the worst isn’t. Use your best judgement, and if unsure about a subject feel free to contact the editors and ask their opinion

http://fextralife.com/write-for-fextralife/ - has info

if you have more questions or concerns, you could add lil notes in your article or the editor might reach out if they are having an issue. people are just a dm away!
What could have been, what should have been, is nothing more than a feverishly sweet dream left unshared.
Shop IconShop Icon

BobTheHollow

Addicted
First Warden

Thanks for the info, Espada.

BobTheHollow

Addicted
First Warden

Hi, hmmm, two more questions if that's ok.

First, if a misspelled word has crept up into the published version of a post, can it be changed? It's just one word so I don't really mind if it can't...

Second, I had written the translation for said post and was waiting for the final version of its original, so I could include all the images and changes that would've been made. But now, when I go to the translation page, the "original" post from which the translation is "copied" isn't updated. Is there something I can do ATM or should I just publish the translation as it is? In the future, would it be better to wait until the original has been published, before even starting on the translation?

Thanks in advance.
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 247,699.49
Bank: 7,418.71
Wiki Edits: 18834
Hi!

For the typo: editors have to correct it, just let us know

For the translation: The translation software stops synchronizing as soon as you translate, so it'd be best to wait until it's published and then add a translation so all formatting and images copy over.

I can help you with some formatting on the translated version, if it's ready to publish :)
Fextralife.com
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon