Anything without a home!

SeyroonTheMage

Casual
Convict

Souls: 445.00
Wiki Edits: 8
Well, yeah - **** ports are **** ports - but I was being serious. I meant that technically. By definition, anything that's included in a game is one of its features. But it's more than just semantics. You summed it up fairly nicely when you said:
eremHaNeoN wrote:there's something inherent to them that becomes a positive characteristic of the game

That's the basis of all of speedrunning as we know it: glitches; quirks, eccentricities. Now people can think what they want about speedrunning, but surely there's value in that it brings people together playing good, old games in non-casual ways and in fact, additionally, it has led to sizeable bi-annual donations to charity for several years in a row. Now people can also think what they want about the particular charities involved (I'm not sure I agree with GDQ's selection among other aspects of the event, or how donated funds are distributed within the charities in question) but at least hypothetically they're doing something positive for the world. Which, because speedrunning wouldn't be as popular otherwise, wouldn't be possible if not for glitches, which remain today the most interesting aspects of many older games in the minds of many. While graphics tend to age badly and gameplay mechanics can sometimes feel dated, glitches, it seems, age like wine. The more time passes, the more apparent is the worth of these "flaws."

mothereternity

Souls: 2,319.00
Bank: 1,214.00
Wiki Edits: 872
This thread is about what games we would like to see again...not about what games we think are 'bad' or 'wrong' to want again.

Let's stick to the original topic and stop arguing please.
Bound to the FEXUS

Even in darkness we need the light. Forum Rules to guide you thru t2/forum-guidelines/
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 11,478.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 3
eremHaNeoN wrote:The two words most misused/abused on the Internet were I to pick would definitely go to "literally" and "objectively." Some people use them in an intentionally hyperbolic way, which is fine, but too many people don't, and don't use them correctly/understand what those words actually mean. Let me just say that a reasoned, informed opinion is not the same thing as being "objective." All objectivity is is something based in observable, universal reality and fact. Opinions no matter how well-argued and informed cannot by definition be objective. Here is what can be said, objectively, about a game like Sonic Adventures 2: it is a sequel to Sonic Adventures; it is a 3D Sonic game; it was released by Sega; it is a video game in the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise; the game was originally released on the Sega Dreamcast. Those are objective observations about Sonic Adventure 2. That's what "objectivity" is. Objectively speaking. It's as simple as that. Yet all too often people bullwhip the term to death to arrogantly raise their highly subjective observations and experiences as fact-based reality as a way to "beat" their opponent in an argument when in fact they don't even know anything about the word they are using. One time someone was trying to tell me that Bloodborne was "objectively" a harder game than any Souls game and his reasoning was just a really long-winded way of saying "buecause its faster lol" One can make a reasoned, informed argument as to why they think Bloodborne is a more challenging game than, say, Dark Souls 3 but in the end all it comes down to is personal observation and experience. Many people have argued the opposite, that they think Bloodborne is easier than the Souls titles, and have provided equally convincing arguments as to why. Value judgements no matter how rooted in logical observation they are, still in the end come down to subjective experience. To say otherwise is to arrogantly deny the vastly different experiences many other people have had than you. "2+2=4" is an objective fact (until proven otherwise). "Sonic Adventure 2 is a bad/good game" is absolutely **** not.

This is basically how I feel. Even if I don't like a game, even if I find problems with it, I don't call it an objectively bad game. It can have objective bugs, glitches, and qualities that I (and possibly many others) don't like, but whether it's a good or bad as a game depends on ones personal preferences of it and how they experience those qualities. One instance I found prevalent recently was the Yooka-Laylee game, where many complained about the old fashioned camera design, where the camera can get stuck on objects and walls as if it were an actual camera following the player character. But, I found quite a few people who not only liked the design, but argued that that was the way platformer cameras "should" work. Now I don't agree that such a game mechanic should be designed in such a specific way to make it proper for the genre, I can't say me not liking it makes it objectively bad, like them liking it makes it objectively good. We simply have different preferences and values for such game properties.
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 11,478.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 3
15959386 mothereternity wrote:This thread is about what games we would like to see again...not about what games we think are 'bad' or 'wrong' to want again.

Let's stick to the original topic and stop arguing please.

.........I wouldn't mind seeing a Kid Chameleon reboot. An kid gets sucked into an alternate world and takes alternate forms to battle enemies. Basically and edgier form of Kirby.
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.

SeyroonTheMage

Casual
Convict

Souls: 445.00
Wiki Edits: 8
Feel free to continue further off-topic discussion of this nature here.

Languard

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 711.00
Wiki Edits: 10
I'd love to see a remake of The Guardian Legend. I really enjoyed this game, though I never finished it due to the horrible password system. The password system was never greate on the NES, but this game somehow seemed worse.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin