Comments posted to our Dark Souls 3 Wiki

Does the buff scales with your fth int or its a flat bonus damage?

T-Furan

Addicted
First Warden

Souls: 1,034.00
Wiki Edits: 204
It is flat. The only thing it scales with is the Spell Buff of your chosen catalyst.
Flat scaling based on spell buff. But spell buff is based on stats
How long does this buff last?
It'll be gone in 60 seconds. Heard it from Micolash Cage, so it must be true.
60 sec
1 year, 4 months, 27 days, 9 hours, 43 minutes and 2.7 seconds

Daddy-Ariandel

Regular
Battle Tested

Souls: 0.00
Sadly as of the recent patch it only lasts 10 seconds. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Just want some clarification. So if I cast this with Yorshka's chime, the effect will be no different than if I cast it with Catha's chime?
it's based on the spell buff of your catalyst, so, it does matter
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Souls: 42,974.50
Wiki Edits: 561
Dark Blade does not gain the dual Int+Fth scaling from Caitha's and Sunless, since it is not considered a dark spell. Its effectiveness scales only with Faith, and gains nothing from Int. Caitha's, having less pure Faith scaling than Yorshka's, will give less total AR.
If you look at the full conversation above, it appears that Yorshka's gives the correct amount while catha's and sunless actually give reduced AR for some reason.
why the f** DARK blade is not considered as a dark miracle? wtf

Daddy-Ariandel

Regular
Battle Tested

Caitha's Chime increases the AR with this buff significantly more than the Yorshka's Chime. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
While testing different chimes with my hex build, 40/40 int and faith with 12 in strength and dex, I came across numbers that do not add up to the formula that the wiki has.

On both the Raw Astora Straight Sword +10 (322) and a Longsword +0 (123), my damage with Dark Blade should be at 513 and 314 respectfully while using Caitha's Chime +5 and about 3 less using Sunless Talisman +5. This is not the case. Instead, I get 463 and 264 for the two swords using Caitha's.

What is going on with these numbers? Is the formula on the wiki wrong? If so, can somebody please change it so that it is correct. Did FROM secretly tone down the dark damage increase or something, because my melee options become pretty slim if this is the case.
Original Commenter here

Yeah, it's just as I thought. When testing out the spell using a +9 Priest Chime and +6 Cleric's Sacred Chime (honestly level doesn't matter when testing the formula) the catalysts that boost dark miracles do have a reduction of AR addition that other catalysts don't have. When done with a pure chime or talisman with no added effect, the AR gained is equal to 85% of the spell buff, however, when using the dark boosting chime and talisman there is a penalty because the miracle is classified as "dark" so my statement of the actual formula for Dark Blade being roughly 61% AR given holds true. Wow...

MYSTERY SOLVED!!!
This is because spellbuff on catalysts is shown as baseSB+FthBonusSB+IntBonusSB

Your Caitha Chime and Sunless Talisman, scaling with Int, have, in addition to the FTHBonusSB, the IntBonusSB,. Dark Blade however only uses your BaseSB + FthBonusSB, which is why you see a higher spellbuff on your Caitha Chime which doesn't match the AR given by dark blade. This is the same for all weapon buffs

This interaction (which is extremely stupid) is also shared by Archdeacon Greatstaff, Man-grub staff, Golden Ritual Spear and Crystal Chime.

Archdeacon Greatstaff, Man-grub staff and Golden Ritual spear do not scale with INT, which is why their INTBonusSB is always 0, so when you use CMW
Original Commenter here

Interesting, so it seems that catalysts that have no extra effect on them, as far as chimes and talismans go, have the full AR addition to a weapon when using a spell buff while those that do have an extra effect, such as Caitha's and the Sunless, do not give the full AR addition. I wonder... does the coding have it to where it negates the boost given by the two dark catalysts and inadvertently also takes the boost out of the original spell buff code because it's a dark miracle? I can only guess that happens because the other chimes and talismans work just as how the page describes the formula and by the testing done by all of us in this comment chain. That would be quite something if that was the case.
Remember that this is all guess work, it's still a mystery to me.
Original Commenter here.

@rotn2013
Nice of you to get the AR of all buffable weapon types (I'm assuming just the standard weapon of each class?), but the chime should be giving more AR than around 100. It should be giving what I had said before but the description on the page just doesn't match the numbers found on my testing and yours. Where is the other 80+ AR going that Caitha's should give but doesn't?

To anyone reading this thread, please test this miracle out for yourself and report what you find. Dark needs as many buffs as it can possibly get anyway. Solve this mystery!
(***** hit submit too fast)

Archdeacon Greatstaff, Man-grub staff and Golden Ritual spear do not scale with INT, which is why their INTBonusSB is always 0, so when you use CMW, you only gains 95 AR, which is 95 * 100 (the base SB of the catalyst), since the rest of the spellbuff shown on the catalyst is from the faith/luck bonus.

rotn2013

Souls: 65.00
"Catalysts that improve the effectiveness of dark miracles have no effect"
I guess this spell only work with faith scaling
Oh, the comment above is the original commenter. Just expressing disgust, that's all. :)

rotn2013

Souls: 65.00
Caitha's Chime+5 with int/faith 40/40 using Dark Blade
weapon type(requiment reach?) base 1hR1 buffed 1hR1 buff
dagger 29 100 71
dagger+1 39 110 71
dagger+2 50 121 71
ss(x) 19 126 107
gs(x) 29 136 107
ugs(x) 49 156 107
katana(x) 24 132 108 seems only 1hR1 is sightly more, other attack remain 107
cs(x) 12 119 107
ucs(x) 27 134 107
ps(x) 17 124 107
axe 81 188 107
gaxe(x) 70 177 107
h 76 183 107
paired h(x) 19 126 107
gh(x) 35 142 107
fist 55 162 107
spear(x) 12 100 88
halberd(x) 22 110 88
reaper(x) sweet spot 17 124 107
reaper(x) non sweet spot 12 102 90
whip 12 119 107
Update on buffs:

Carthus Flame Arc also does not follow its formula on its page as well; using the same hex build with a pyromancy flame +10 yields 511 damage on the Astora Straight Sword. Which means that the formula of 82*(Spell buff/100) is false and is more likely 91*(Spell buff/100). Using this approximation, I can also guess that the "new" formula for Dark Blade is around 63*(Spell buff/100) making Dark Blade the worst spell buff in the game by far.
(Hit submit too fast)
Lightning
[Chime: 247 spell buff] X 0.96 = [227.12] + [*** 322 AR] = 559.12 Total, in game displaying 557
It seems to be working as described for me, this is just with Yorshka's chime I know, you kinda implied more dark catalysts, but with a PURE faith chime, it seems to be calculating right.
Dark
[Chime: 247 spell buff] X 0.85 = [209.95] + [*** 322 AR] = 531.95 Total, in game displaying 532

Lightning
[Chime: 247 spell buff] X 0.96 =
This isn't... working as intended... is it?

God dammit, as if casters really needed one more thing holding them back... and it's in part of the neutered dark magic selection too, ugh...
@197.1.43.72

Really? Wow, that is *****ing stupid. Like, REALLY stupid. Why would they do it like that?! By doing that, if I'm following what you are saying, puts the catalysts with split attributes into the category of attacking only because if you use it for a buff you are literally only gaining HALF of what you should get. Dark miracles aren't exactly the best thing for attacking, by far, and making the catalysts specifically designed for dark only give half the power on a weapon buff just makes them even less useful.

... Ugh. So sick of this game and its stupid mechanics. I know I can equip another chime or talisman, but the whole situation is just idiotic and useless. What, did they think that split catalysts would be overpowered or something if they gave the full spell buff? Tell that to Yorshka's and Court Sorcerers. Pyro glove gets a pass since it's the only one that is useful (sorry White Hair but you're practically useless without the Sacred Flame glitch).
Does this perform well with the crystal chime?
That is one thing I don't like, chimes that are better for casting dark miracles don't improve the effectiveness of this spell.

I wish they did...
Despite scaling with int and fth only sorcries benefit from int scaling qnd only miracles scale with faith tested
No. Weapons buffs behave weirdly, and Dark Blade is only based on base spellbuff and faith scaling, so Crystal Chime is quite bad for this because of its low base spellbuff and low faith scaling.
Is duration affected by lingering Dragon rest ring?
VIP

TSMP

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Squirming with Insight

Souls: 42,974.50
Wiki Edits: 561
Yes.

Daddy-Ariandel

Regular
Battle Tested

No. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
What the hell is the point of this weapon buff if it doesn't benefit from int scaling miracle catalysts? It makes no sense, especially considering it is a DARK miracle, the thing caitha's chime and other similar catalysts are supposed to enhance. Thanks fromsoft!

theappraiser99

Souls: 60.00
Wiki Edits: 2
The point is that it deals dark damage. Some enemies are resistant to lightning, and DMB is nigh on impossible to get.
Did you not even read his post? He's saying that the spell itself can't scale with intelligence, like every single other dark spell, so it's pretty*****ty and stupid on the devloper's part
DMB also deals magic damage, not dark damage...

The5lacker

Casual
Convict

Souls: 50.00
Seems like a pretty comical oversight. Methinks DS3 was a bit rushed in a few ways. And/or FromSoft need some new blood in high places who can ask the obvious questions like "Wait, shouldn't this dark spell scale on Int+Faith like every other dark spell?"
The Faith equivilent in damage to Great Magic Weapon in almost every way, except for costing 10 more points... From really knows how to balance...
It's kewler tho
dark damage does more damage to the living, IE PvP
so while the numbers may seem the same it actually does more damage where it can matter ballance wise
So, according to this, since my Yorshka Chime is 247 spellbuff at 60 Faith, Dark Blade should add around 210?
Sounds about right
I agree with that number. As the guy who actually brought up the calculations between the split catalysts and how they are useless for weapon buffs, the damage added should be roughly 210, if not a little more.
Gee, that's PROBABLY because the entire idea behind "yeah let's give Faith a***** load of damage and all the spell versatility of the ACTUALLY offense-based magic" is moronic at best.

Faith should have ZERO damage-based spells, don't complain.
does it scale with int?