Anything without a home!
 318 
Reply  
Avatar

qeter

Caffeinated
Guardian

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:44 pm
Souls: 67.00
Bank: 4,171.00
Posts: 930
Reputation: 27
Wiki Edits: 5
#3171
i'll probably be joining a HEMA group in like a month. it'll probably be a while before i can do proper sparring though.
Avatar

Lich180

Hollowed
Redeemer

Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:00 pm
Location: USA, the Mitten
Souls: 9,217.00
Posts: 1782
Reputation: 39
#3172
Yeah my town is one of those "don't blink or you miss it" places. There's 2 stoplights on either end of town, one of those is flashing red. We are sandwiched in between bigger towns, and no-one really comes out this way unless it's on the way somewhere else. Right in the middle of Michigan.
Avatar

SilkyGoodness

Hollowed
Redeemer

Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:07 am
Souls: 9,440.00
Bank: 393.00
Posts: 1657
Reputation: 48
#3173
Lich180 wrote:
SilkyGoodness wrote:Oh hey, here's the follow up to the tea if anyone cares:

Aged white tea

Raw gushu pu'erh


So you break off bits to brew? Kinda looks like the leaves in my yard got compacted into disks :p That's the expensive stuff, isn't it?

Yeah, it's expensive, and it definitely looks like fallen autumn leaves, but it tastes nothing like that. Its very sweet since it's a white tea. Though there are pu'erhs that taste like autumn leaves, but don't look like it. The pu'erh isn't the kind that is very earthy like the aforementioned.

And yeah those cakes are broken with a pick. Most tea isn't this way of course. But aged and fermented teas are this way.
Avatar

Lich180

Hollowed
Redeemer

Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:00 pm
Location: USA, the Mitten
Souls: 9,217.00
Posts: 1782
Reputation: 39
#3174
Pretty much all my tea exposure is the cheap crap in bags, or the matcha you can find in the grocery store. Most of it tastes like tannin or the liquid you drain off canned green beans. Blech.

Worked the garden a bit more. The top half inch was nice and dry, so I was able to rake most of the big clumps of grass and roots that didn't get blended up out. Gonna let it dry again, then till in the fertilizer tomorrow as long as the weather holds out. It's supposed to start raining Saturday night, and tomorrow is supposed to be a high in the upper 50's, compared to the last 3 days where it's been in the mid 80's.

Also, this is relevant.
http://www.pcgamer.com/meet-the-man-who-loved-stardew-valley-so-much-he-bought-a-farm/
VIP
Avatar

skarekrow13

Moderator
Moderator

(Many Other Functions)

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:00 pm
Souls: 177.04
Bank: 0.00
Posts: 16795
Reputation: 577
Wiki Edits: 459
#3175
My ps4 has gotten disturbingly loud and the fan runs bad even on standby.

Decided to finally take it apart to clean the fan and heat sinks directly.

Holy **** what a difference. Sounds like it did brand new. Forgot how quiet they could be.

Also, I had to admire the craftsmanship. 8 screws and one wire clip. All easy access and the parts for together so well it's questionable the screws are really needed.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon
Avatar

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 12,005.00
Bank: 0.00
Posts: 5251
Reputation: 256
Wiki Edits: 3
#3176
skarekrow13 wrote:My ps4 has gotten disturbingly loud and the fan runs bad even on standby.

Decided to finally take it apart to clean the fan and heat sinks directly.

Holy **** what a difference. Sounds like it did brand new. Forgot how quiet they could be.

Also, I had to admire the craftsmanship. 8 screws and one wire clip. All easy access and the parts for together so well it's questionable the screws are really needed.


I should give mine a check up too. I've done my PS3 and PC, but not my PS4.
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.
Avatar

SilkyGoodness

Hollowed
Redeemer

Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:07 am
Souls: 9,440.00
Bank: 393.00
Posts: 1657
Reputation: 48
#3177
Lich180 wrote:Pretty much all my tea exposure is the cheap crap in bags, or the matcha you can find in the grocery store. Most of it tastes like tannin or the liquid you drain off canned green beans. Blech.

Worked the garden a bit more. The top half inch was nice and dry, so I was able to rake most of the big clumps of grass and roots that didn't get blended up out. Gonna let it dry again, then till in the fertilizer tomorrow as long as the weather holds out. It's supposed to start raining Saturday night, and tomorrow is supposed to be a high in the upper 50's, compared to the last 3 days where it's been in the mid 80's.

Also, this is relevant.
http://www.pcgamer.com/meet-the-man-who-loved-stardew-valley-so-much-he-bought-a-farm/

Green tea is normally kind of like a soup broth. A lot of umami and vegetal flavors. There is one that states like artichoke, and some like spinach. A lot also taste toasty like biscuits or, well toast. Really good teas will have a lot of these kinds of flavors in combination, and even others like Anji Bai Cha tastes like soup broth, but with like pine nuts and asperigus. Which doesn't appeal to everyone.

Oolong teas tend to be Woody, chocolatey, milky, like dried fruit, but some oolongs are more green and can bring some of that it. It's a huge range, but typically the the darker and more oxidized the tea the more. Sweet. Black teas usually taste like honey among some of those other flavors but without the woodiness of oolongs.

White teas are usually partially oxidized making them taste grassy and like fresh fruits or honey.

But these are all gross over exaggerations, but my point is not every tea will appeal to everyone even if it's high quality, and all tea(Well almost all) has tanins, so if brew incorrectly can and will get bitter. Anji Bai Cha is an exception because it is picked so early in the year it hasn't had the chance to develop those bitter compounds. That is if it is the top grade of Anji Bai Cha. There are later pickings of the tea that can get bitter. You need to ask that it's pretty qing ming, which basically means ask if it's picked in early April. These tea can set you back some though because it's price is artificially inflated because tea snobs like to show it off. It is a green though and does have that soup-y umami vegetal quality to it, but a good own is so much more than that.
VIP
Avatar

Castielle

The Hand
The Hand of God

Masochist

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:00 pm
Souls: 216,211.02
Posts: 3311
Reputation: 232
Wiki Edits: 39697
#3178
@SilkyGoodness I apologize if you mentioned this earlier, but I'm being lazy, do you order your tea online? I'm just wondering how you know what you like before you order, or have you had it before or do you just guestimate based on the tea type?

Cas
The difference between Left Wing and Right Wing is that Left Wing people what everyone to finish the race the same. Right Wing people want everyone to start the race the same.
Shop IconShop IconShop Icon
Avatar

SilkyGoodness

Hollowed
Redeemer

Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:07 am
Souls: 9,440.00
Bank: 393.00
Posts: 1657
Reputation: 48
#3179
Castielle wrote:@SilkyGoodness I apologize if you mentioned this earlier, but I'm being lazy, do you order your tea online? I'm just wondering how you know what you like before you order, or have you had it before or do you just guestimate based on the tea type?

Cas

Several thing. I have enough info to guestimate, but sometimes things surprise you. Like that pu'erh tastes like leather, among other things, which is something you'd be like, "ew wtf," but it was a an amazing tea. It was also sweet, and sour like a fruit leather. Particularly apricot fruit leather.

You can also buy tasters of teas from various places. I buy from meileaf because I trust them. A German Spy buys from Harney and Sons, but I have two issues with them. One is they stock tea of every quality level making it hard to find the good stuff fo line, and two they don't give the specific details of where and how the tea was picked. They have good tea, but I feel as though ordering online from them specifically isn't as good of an idea when you cannot talk to someone to get this info. They also only have teaware for Western style brewing and not for traditional Chinese brewing methods. The difference in quality you get from the tea is pretty huge between Western and "Kung Fu" or "Gong Fu" brewing.

Meileaf has a thing on their website that suggests teas to you based on what you like and gives you all of the details on the tea. Where it was picked, sometimes (if not always) down to the mountain, where, the elevation, etc. It's just expensive ordering from Camden in London.
Avatar

Lich180

Hollowed
Redeemer

Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:00 pm
Location: USA, the Mitten
Souls: 9,217.00
Posts: 1782
Reputation: 39
#3180
Hoping the rain holds off today until I can get my garden planted.

Also, I'm thinking it's time for a change in job. Nothing is wrong with the current one, just feel like it's in a dead end and I've got to find something better.

Maybe I can find something outside of a kitchen, I'm kinda burned out on culinary.
 318