Remaster: Yes and why?
Total votes : 28
Yes, keep it the same as it was
29%
Yes, with new/improved graphics
46%
Yes, but with some fundamental changes to f.e backstabs, poise
4%
Yes, but with an improved base game (weapon movesets, more diverse enemy movesets)
7%
Yes, all of the above
14%
No. F*** the title, I hated DS1
0%

Xen

Casual
Convict

Souls: 279.00
A Scholar Of the First Sin style remastering where they actually change things up like item and enemy wouldn't be unwelcome.

Or, you know. Even just a remastering for the sake of having anti-aliasing on PC would be really nice. (I know there's a mod but that doesn't always work)

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 22,645.50
Wiki Edits: 18
Xen wrote:A Scholar Of the First Sin style remastering where they actually change things up like item and enemy wouldn't be unwelcome.

Or, you know. Even just a remastering for the sake of having anti-aliasing on PC would be really nice. (I know there's a mod but that doesn't always work)

super sample it. DKS is very low stress anyways, so if you have a decent computer you should be able to render it at 1440 or 4k, especially at 30fps.

I mean, unless you have a 4k screen and are rendering at 4k, then you probably can't super sample, but in that case why would you care about the barely perceptable difference AA will make?
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush

Reaperfan

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Souls: 5,046.00
Wiki Edits: 3
Forum_Pirate wrote:
EldritchImagination wrote:I'd actually take a Demon's Souls remake over a Dark Souls one. It's the game that would benefit more from getting remade for new consoles. It's older, missed by many souls fans due to it's lack of reputation and exclusivity, and could definitely gain a lot from the refinement of the Souls games after it.

What else is all that different? Guard Break Riposts? DKS3 is probably the most like Demons since actual Demons.

But it's still not Demon's Souls. It has the most call-backs to Demon's Souls, both thematically and mechanically, but it's still not the same. DkS3 may be the most "Demon's Souls-like" one of them, but it's still not the same experience as actually playing DeS. I'd also much rather see a Demon's Souls port (port rather than remaster, don't even alter the graphics except to match new gen resolution options) rather a Dark Souls 1 rerelease. But in either case, I'd rather they release without any changes made to them. These games' flaws can be just as important to their identity as their successes.
A system error occurred during event movement.
A system error occurred during event movement...

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 22,645.50
Wiki Edits: 18
Reaperfan wrote:
Forum_Pirate wrote:
EldritchImagination wrote:I'd actually take a Demon's Souls remake over a Dark Souls one. It's the game that would benefit more from getting remade for new consoles. It's older, missed by many souls fans due to it's lack of reputation and exclusivity, and could definitely gain a lot from the refinement of the Souls games after it.

What else is all that different? Guard Break Riposts? DKS3 is probably the most like Demons since actual Demons.

But it's still not Demon's Souls. It has the most call-backs to Demon's Souls, both thematically and mechanically, but it's still not the same. DkS3 may be the most "Demon's Souls-like" one of them, but it's still not the same experience as actually playing DeS. I'd also much rather see a Demon's Souls port (port rather than remaster, don't even alter the graphics except to match new gen resolution options) rather a Dark Souls 1 rerelease. But in either case, I'd rather they release without any changes made to them. These games' flaws can be just as important to their identity as their successes.

Demons is my favorite in the series. I wasn't saying DKS3 is Demon's Souls, I was objecting to the notion that Dark Souls (as a series) has brought much in the way of refinement.

Estus, Guard break riposts, weapon arts, sweet spots (if you want to call that a refinement instead of an annoyance) covenants, charged R2s and dedicated dual weapon attacks. Actually trying, that's all I can think of that has been added to the Demon's formula and made it into DKS3, and much of that was added in DKS3. (There are probably more, I just can't think of them.) Most every other "refinement" Dark Souls introduced has actually been reverted back to the Demon's Souls systems. If anything Dark Souls 3 feels more like a direct sequel to Demon's Souls than to Dark Souls 1 or 2.

(and before anyone mentions the boss "heating up" mechanic, that was in demon's as well. The Maneater summons a second at 50% hp and the Flamelurker gets more aggressive and uses explosive attacks more often at lower HP, it's just not as flashy a transformation or quite so common as in DKS3)

EDIT: It's worth noting, I wasn't using the term refinement in ""s to imply it's inferior or provides an inferior experience, I mean to say that it provides a different experience, even if the end goal of the overall package is the same.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush

cyrus

Souls: 65.00
I would like they add new environments, enemies, NPC's and bosses to Dark souls and remake it in DS3 engine.

I would like to experience Dark souls remastered in new way. Maybe add new monsters in different placements to surprise the player.

I would like to be surprised again but in new way.

Also, DS remaster should be a REMAKE actually. If Fromsoftware would make Dark souls today, they will make bigger labyrintian areas like in DS3.

Second, when I return to Dark souls from DS3, Dark souls feels so easy with almost no challenge. I know every A.I. reaction, parry, boss movesets ...
This why I think DS Remake should tweak/change that and make it more challenging with new content.

lordnoah

Hollowed
Redeemer

Souls: 12,478.00
only if they don't **** up with poise and magic