VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 129,330.49
Bank: 7,129.71
Wiki Edits: 17746
Our review is still pending, as Rubhen is working on getting a lot of time with the game on Insanity, but it seems the scoring for this game is "terrible" for a AAA game: averaging 7.5 on Metacritic

PlayStation Universe 8.0
Gameinformer 8.0
IGN 7.7
Gamespot 7.0
Playstation Lifestyle 6.5

Thoughts?
Fextralife.com
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 22,180.50
Wiki Edits: 18
While I have every desire to see it and many other EA games flop hard, I don't actually want that to be because they're making bad or mediocre games. It always sucks when a highly anticipated game is dissapointing (wether it's good or not.)

I have to wonder if the performance issues are worse than is being let on, if the writing can't carry the rest of the game, or if EA and/or Bioware tried to copy ME1 without actually knowing what made ME1 good (or if BioWare still did know but was forced to compromise it by EA.)

I mean, it is possible that all the outlets simultaniously updated their standards so 7 is no longer mediocre and anything under 7 is absolute garbage when refering to AAA games, but somehow I doubt that's it. Would be nice though.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush
VIP

Fexelea

Webmistress
Webmistress

Fire Keeper

Souls: 129,330.49
Bank: 7,129.71
Wiki Edits: 17746
Well I said "terrible" with quotation marks because a 6 and 7.7 seem like disaster scores for a high production, brand name game like Mass Effect

I haven't started playing yet so I don't have my own opinions, but everyone seems to think there are performance and animation problems that are a real issue.
Fextralife.com
A gaming blog and wiki network powered by real gamers.
Shop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop IconShop Icon

Burnsidhe

Revived
Savior

Souls: 211.00
It is a very average game. Decent combat gameplay, but lots of mechanics that are somewhat clunky, the animations are not great, facial animations are downright terrible, all the characters have dead, flat eyes, and the voice acting. Oh my god the voice acting. Did they just stick the voice actors in the booth and say "Read as many of these lines as possible. That's your only goal."

It's mediocre. Middle of the road. Flat Hollywood style fare. Doesn't need much thinking. It's a solid C or C+ effort where Bioware needed an A++ Extra Credit effort.

Lich180

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 7,819.00
Well I don't care for Mass Effect myself, but it seems like Bioware did a Bethesda and turned an excellent game series into a steaming pile of poo.

ME:A is Bioware's Fallout 4.

SilkyGoodness

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 8,808.00
Bank: 373.00
I played the trial and got a VPN set to Korea to start playing it now. I'd say other than the angaran have a very un-mass effect aesthetic, this game feels much more like a successor to ME1 than ME2 ever did. I like ME2 but it set up odd expectations for Mass Effect that I am not sure where what the franchise wanted to be. Much like what happened with Friday the 13th switching from Pamela Vorhees and being fairly realistic to, having Jason as the poster boy and going very much in a seemingly supernatural route.

The writing is on par with ME1, but the haracter writing so far doesn't grab me like ME2 or Wrex and Garrus did in ME1. I'm sure with their feet in the water the sequel could go to some great places and with this quite frankly awesome combat system already in place, we can have more focus on non-combat parts of the game.

Facial animations are still spooky though.

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Fexelea wrote:Well I said "terrible" with quotation marks because a 6 and 7.7 seem like disaster scores for a high production, brand name game like Mass Effect

I haven't started playing yet so I don't have my own opinions, but everyone seems to think there are performance and animation problems that are a real issue.

It is, but it shouldn't be. Well, ok, a 6 should probably still be a disaster but a 7.7 of 10 is good. If you're an AAA studio all the major review outlets grading table moves up and 7 is the new 4, even half finished garbage like AC: Unity that would get *butchered* if it was like, some random indie title, still gets a 7.

My (half joking) hope was that all the outlets simultaniously adjusted their ratings of AAA games to match what is given to every other game where a 7 out of 10 means actually good, not AC: Unity "good."
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush

SilkyGoodness

Insomniac
Sinner

Souls: 8,808.00
Bank: 373.00
Oh and actually on topic, I think the reason people are going to hard on this game is because people have a lot of animosity directed at EA and BioWare for some obvious reasons. They found a reason to hate the game, and they're sticking with it. I don't think it's fair, but Mass Effect sits squarely in a very sensitive personal and emotional place for many many people. It's something that has to be handled with care and something that will never make anyone happy.

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 8,712.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 3
I don't know about it myself, but I watched a few reviews on it.

Pretty consistent that the game is "okay", but bogged down by some significant flaws and bugs.
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

SilkyGoodness wrote:Oh and actually on topic, I think the reason people are going to hard on this game is because people have a lot of animosity directed at EA and BioWare for some obvious reasons. They found a reason to hate the game, and they're sticking with it. I don't think it's fair, but Mass Effect sits squarely in a very sensitive personal and emotional place for many many people. It's something that has to be handled with care and something that will never make anyone happy.

The reviews tell you in some detail why they give the scores they do. That doesn't really come up. Technical problems, bad writing, bad voice acting, boring characters, and repetitive missions seem to be the common complaints. Don't even need to play the game to see 3 of the 5 of those problems, the example footage (like in the gamespot review) makes it pretty clear.

The bad writing, btw, is super easy to explain.
Who wrote Dragon Age (all of them)? David Gaider. Also wrote KoToR, Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs Gate 2. Say what you want about the overall plots varied quality, the character writing in all of those games is quite good.
Who Wrote Mass Effect1 and 2? Drew Karpyshyn Also Wrote KoTor, Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs Gate 2
Who Wrote Mass Effect 3? Mac Walters. Also worked on... Mass Effect 2, Jade Empire and some books. Decent books, but compared to the rap sheet of the others it's pretty lacking.
Who Wrote Andromeda? Chris Schlerf. The guy who wrote Halo 4 and a Destiny expansion. Yeah, brilliant choice for the lead writer, the guy who wrote the worst halo and the notoriously story deficent Destiny. Awesome.
- George W. Bush