Discuss all and any games, devices and platforms!

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 10,571.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 3
Castielle wrote:Torment is a solid game. I know some people are unhappy with it as it didn't live up to their expectations, but since I never played the original I had none and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cas

That's the problem with having a "most favorite game" or a "best game ever made". When you set your expectations and standards to such a high and specific degree that no game can match it, it becomes impossible to enjoy anything else.
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.

Forum_Pirate

Duke's Archivist
Judge

Souls: 22,517.50
Wiki Edits: 18
My favorite game is Skies of Arcadia. My Favorite (video game) character is Chie Satonaka. The best game ever made is a pointless question that has to be broken down into numerous catagories (gameplay genre, narrative genre, technical prowess, art style, ect) to have any meaning but if I have to pick western RPGs I say Fallout New Vegas (which is amusing because it's heavily inspired by westerns.)

None of that detracts from my ability to enjoy other games or characters. I can enjoy games (or movies, or books, or music) for what they are while also recognizing that some other thing does either specific ideas or the entire concept better. I still enjoy Devil May Cry 1, 3 and 4 even though Bayonetta 1 and 2 are straight up better action games. I still enjoy the Ace Combat games that aren't Ace Combat 5 even though they aren't Ace Combat 5. I still enjoy numerous JRPGs that aren't Skies of Arcadia. Just like I still enjoy drama/comedy shows that aren't House, enjoy romance stories that aren't Euraka 7 or Howls Moving Castle, and enjoy rock/metal albums that aren't Once.
"Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions"
- George W. Bush

EldritchImagination

Chosen Undead
Peacemaker

Location: In a galaxy far, far away, beyond Space and time, in your dreams...
Souls: 10,571.00
Bank: 0.00
Wiki Edits: 3
What I meant was having it so that unless a game is as good as or better and is the same as the kind of game I like, it's not worth playing. Of course people can enjoy games despite liking another game more, be it because of its genre, style, or just better version of another. I was talking about people who favor something to such a grand degree that any game not exactly like it is seen as bad, or at least can't be enjoyed. Kind of like how some people who play souls end up not enjoying other games, even ones with significantly different combat mechanics because they love Souls gameplay so much. Even if a game is good, or even great, it's no fun for someone because it's not that particular game.

Example being the guys in RPGcodex. Torment isn't like Planescape (literally the best game ever made), therefore Torment is bad and no fun.
Normality is a banality. Reality is a fallacy. Alter your perception, open your mind, and expand your world...with odd thoughts, eccentric beliefs, and an eldritch imagination.