It seems as if Darksiders 3 is a thing after a product listing popped up on Amazon today along with some screenshots. Publisher THQ Nordic and Gunfire Games are behind the project. Here’s the listing info which has a placeholder date of December 31st, 2018 for PS4, Xbox One and PC:
UPDATE: It has now been officially announced with an official reveal trailer via IGN:
Return to an apocalyptic planet Earth in Darksiders III, a hack-n-slash action adventure where players take on the role of FURY in her quest to hunt down and dispose of the Seven Deadly Sins. The Charred Council calls upon Fury to battle from the heights of heaven down through the depths of hell in a quest to restore humanity and prove that she is the most powerful of the Horsemen. As a mage, FURY relies on her whip and magic to restore the balance between good and evil. The expansive, Darksiders III game world is presented as an open-ended, living, free-form planet Earth that is dilapidated by war and decay, and overrun by nature. FURY will move back and forth between environments to uncover secrets while advancing the Darksiders III story.
- Play as FURY – a mage who must rely on her whip and magic to restore the balance between good and evil on Earth!
- Harness FURY’s magic to unleash her various forms – each granting her access to new weapons, moves and traversal abilities
- Explore an open-ended, living, free-form game world in which FURY moves back and forth between environments to uncover secrets while advancing the story
- Defeat the Seven Deadly Sins and their servants who range from mystical creatures to degenerated beings
- Darksiders signature art style – expansive post-apocalyptic environments that take the player from the heights of heaven to the depths of hell, dilapidated by war and decay and overrun by nature
Additionally the listing has some initial screenshots:
Exciting stuff. Fans of the franchise have long wondered if a third installment would see the light of day after THQ and Nordic combined and now it looks very much like it will. The first 2 games of the franchise featured War and Death in a Zelda meets God of War gameplay feel. Darksiders 2 expanded upon the formula by introducing some open world and light RPG elements and it seems as if Darksiders 3 will continue that evolution. This is one we’ll definitely be keeping an eye on. Thoughts on the listing? Let us know below!